Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rams the Frontrunners?

detroit1811

So apparently Stafford thinks the Rams are viable contenders to trade for him. Also seems like Campbell wants a rookie QB to build around so I don't think Goff would be included (thank god) if he did indeed go there.

Sources: Matthew Stafford considers the Rams a viable contender in his trade market with the Lions. While it?s unclear what the Rams can do with Jared Goff?s long-term deal on the books, they?ve explored the possibilities with Stafford.

Matthew Stafford trade talks 'hot and heavy;' Dan Campbell outlines vision for next Lions QB

Trade talks with Matthew Stafford are heating up and a deal could be struck in the coming days.
Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell told the Free Press Saturday that the Lions have "some offers" for Stafford, their longtime starter who asked for a deal after the season.
"It's pretty hot and heavy right now," said Campbell. "We have some offers and it looks like we have some trading partners. We're just trying to find the best scenario and ultimately figure out what is best for us."
BUT THEN WHAT ?: Lions should fear that the Stafford deal turns into another bombshell for Bobby Layne
"I mean, we know we're trying to give him what he wants, but he also knows we will find the best value for the Detroit Lions and what is best for us. That is what we do . "
Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford warms up before the Thanksgiving game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Ford Field on November 26, 2015.
The Lions have had trade talks with about a third of the league, although not all of these teams are considered realistic candidates.
[Kelly Stafford says goodbye to Lions: 'Hard to find words to explain what' Detroit means]
While it's unclear what the Lions will get in return, the level of trade interest - the Indianapolis Colts, Washington, and the San Francisco 49ers are believed to be interested parties - and the Lions' proximity to a deal suggest they are at least one first-round election for the soon-to-be 33-year-old quarterback who is under contract for the next two seasons at a reasonable price.
Stafford, the 2009 Draft first choice, has started most of the past 12 seasons for the Lions and holds franchise passing records for yards, touchdowns, completions, tries and most other categories.
He was nearing ownership of a post-season trade when the Lions finished third in a row on NFC Nord 5-11.
Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford and Adrian Peterson celebrate after a touchdown in the first half of the 37:35 loss to the Vikings at Ford Field on Sunday January 3, 2021.
More
Lions owner Sheila Ford Hamp and President Rod Wood pending these discussions until Campbell and new general manager Brad Holmes were hired. Campbell said the first time he spoke to Stafford last week it was clear that Stafford's mind about a deal hadn't changed.
JEFF SEIDEL: The Stafford deal sounds like 'Same Old Lions' but here's why that's wrong
"It was warm. Look, it was great. He was phenomenal and it was just - you could tell he made up his mind that it was time," said Campbell. "Not bad, not negative, and that was it - he has a few years left and so he felt that this was a decision he had to make for his future, and I felt that he was pretty determined about that. It really didn't give a: "Will we be able to stop him?" But he wasn't bitter at all.
Campbell said he asked Stafford if he could call him again to get his opinion on the franchise, and the two spoke about the condition of the Lions for about an hour two days later.
"I said I won't try to recruit you, I said I just want to talk to you," said Campbell. "You've been here a long time and I would love to have your kind of input, your kind, just your take on what has been going on over the years. What do you think of some of these guys? He knows these guys in the locker room, and he was great.
"So he was nothing but a professional, he's a stallion. I understand why he wants to do what he wants to do. I understand 100%. So everything was top notch. He's a stallion, he always will be and." shoot." Man we wish him all the best. But we'll get what we can. We will maximize the value we can for ourselves. "
DESIGN PLANS: Read past references from Brad Holmes and John Dorsey to decipher Lions' QB Plan
Because Lions are taking a long-term approach to their reconstruction, they will likely evaluate the capital design on any deal.
Campbell said his vision for the next Lions quarterback is someone with good leadership skills that "the guys in the locker room are drawn to." He said he prefers a mobile quarterback and one with a strong arm, but he values ​​the intangibles of the position above all else.
"First and foremost, I think I want a man who I believe has leadership skills," he said. ?He doesn't have to be a loud, rah-rah type, but he has to be able to handle the crowd. I think he has to be able to communicate. You'd be surprised how many guys here are perceived as good guys Quarterbacks in this league, but they don't know how to communicate. They have the arm talent, they have all of these things, but they can't - they fight to get it out of their mouth so we can line up fast enough for him to check the coverage.
"I think having someone people would gather around and the guys in the locker room put it on and they understand that this player has some grit and tenacity about him. And that's how I honestly see the intangibles a quarterback more than me arm strength, like arm talent. You can't be a weakly armed guy, but I'd rather have a guy who is a precise passer, he makes smart decisions. Surely he would like a little bit more of a mobile quarterback because it's im Today's game is difficult when you can't move in your pocket. That's my vision for a quarterback. "
If the Lions, who currently own the number 7 in the first round, design a quarterback, Campbell will say that it is a player to whom everyone in the organization is being sold.
Campbell, the former assistant head coach / tight-end coach for the New Orleans Saints, said he was among the judges who fell in love with Patrick Mahomes in the 2017 draft when the Kansas City Chiefs v Mahomes an election before the Saint could land their ultimate goal.
MORE ABOUT CAMPBELL: Why He May Be The Only One Who Can Resurrect Lions
"I have my little bowel barometer, right?" Said Campbell. "And look, your stomach can get you in trouble. It can be safe if you aren't using what's between your ears. ... (But a) most of the time when I've felt this about a guy you are kind of, they were pretty good at that league and obviously he's one of them so it's not always that easy, but I think man, if you get one of these guys early, you better get this guy better, you gotta go with him love everything. And everyone in this organization has to love this guy in my opinion. "
Campbell said that by acquiring additional picks in the 2021 and / or 2022 drafts, the Lions have a chance to land a platoon like the 2017-class Saints that made this franchise an NFC championship contender for the past four seasons .
Lions Trainer Dan Campbell will speak to the media at Allen Park Headquarters on Thursday, January 21, 2021.
The Saints took cornerback Marshon Lattimore, went back against Ryan Ramczyk, safety Marcus Williams and Alvin Kamara with their first four picks of the season. All were rookies and Lattimore and Kamara teamed up for seven Pro Bowl selections.
Lions currently only have five tips in this year's draft, none after Round 5.
Along with the quarterback, they'll need to add a half-dozen or more starters to the defense and redesign their wide receiving corps.
"(If) you can't get a young quarterback, how do you get a quarterback to help you grow as a team? That's not someone you just spin your wheels with. That's the trick, it's the balance." said Campbell. ?And here's the beauty of - like Brad (Holmes), Brad is superb. Brad and I, I'm not kidding, we're looking for two years, three years. And so for me it all starts two years and it doesn't start now . And he's the same. Because I think if you look now, of course we want to win now and we're going to take steps that improve this team, but the most important thing for us is to be able to maintain.
"And if we really want to consistently be a winner in the north, we have to build that right. For me, it's about man, we have to stick with the process and just be patient. Let's get the guys on, no different what we're trying to find out with Matthew, man, if we can get some capital here and let Brad go to work because you see, we did that in New Orleans, man, we hit on some drafts you suddenly change and suddenly the momentum of your team and we hit all of these tips. Look, this is Brad's superpower, he finds talent. And I think you have to be patient. "
Contact Dave Birkett at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.
This article originally appeared in Detroit Free Press: Detroit Lions' Dan Campbell in Rebuilding, Matthew Stafford Trade Update
In this article
Detroit Lions
Matthew Stafford
Dan Campbell

Que Sera, sera... but the way this guy communicates seems off. He has difficulty getting his thoughts across from what I see. Players will miss info as a result.

New coach again in 3 or 4 years. Round and round we go.

My concern with a Rams deal is they don’t have a 1st round pick.....so we better get a future 1st and a couple damn good young players.

The 1 team interested that doesn't have a 1st to give. Failure of an organization.... change the faces... same ol dumbasses.

Report: Washington open to trading more than just a 1st-round pick for QB

Weather that means Stafford or not.

NFL rumors: Bears 'solidly' in sweepstakes for Lions' Matthew Stafford

3rd place here we come.

Looks like the Deal is done. We get the Rams qb and 2 future first round picks.

Rams it is

Staff for 2 1sts, a 3rd and Goff. Not a bad haul

And Goff? What the hell. Maybe we can trade Goff now and the 1st are future picks which means they lose their value so we basically get no 1sts. The fk.

Back