Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rush?s Health in Limbo - The End Has Come

It's just weird hearing someone of Irish heritage "experiment" with alcohol, that's all. not exactly a lightly traveled path!

most of the big drinking in my family, on both sides seems to have ended with the generation before my parents and even that generation probably drank more regularly in their old age. I have a few uncles who quit drinking because they should have but I only ever saw my dad drink at dinner and never more than 2 beers and maybe a few drinks at parties. I've never seen my mom even take a sip of beer or a cocktail, but she'll have wine with dinner occasionally and at social events. My grandfathers on the other hand - my mom's dad would practically wake up with a beer and a brandy and my dad's dad would get the G&Ts going by 11am and they'd keep going until they went to bed.

Personally, I was a big drinker in high school, college and in my single days in Chicago and NY but mostly just when socializing. I still drink socially but it's rare that I'll have 5 or more drinks in a night and those nights are less than once a month. We rarely ever drink at home. My poker club went virtual for COVID and one night I forgot to clean up before bed. My 9yo daughter walked into the den the next day and exclaimed 'you drank all those drinks in one night?!' - there were 4 beer cans on the floor under the desk.

I don't like whiskey, which is what a lot of our friends seem to be into these days - I'd say most of the other parents we hang out with drink at least a few times a week and half of the other dads have a drinking problem and probably one or 2 of the wives too.

Last edited:
yeah, my parents were also light drinkers, compared to my grandparents, and me. Italians aren't really known to be big drinkers anyway. The Polish side of my family apparently had some straight up alcoholics, but they had all died of various ailments before I was born.

my dad's dad apparently got in a lot of booze-related brawls in the Navy. He didn't drink much later in life. I wrote the national record center after he died, and they sent me his service records, but they only included dates of enlistment and places he was stationed... nothing about discipline. I was disappointed.

My mom drinks a glass of wine everyday, but that's it. My dad will have a drink or two, but seems to genuinely dislike getting buzzed at all, and stops there. I don't understand that at all.

I drank pretty heavily from like age 18-32, but getting married and having my first son put the kibosh on that. Now it's maybe a cocktail or a glass of wine, or a couple beers, and I'm good. Hangovers are hard to bounce back from, so I avoid them at all costs.

I drink a pint of Jack and a six pack of Mickey’s wide mouths every day.

Five days a week I do an intense interval workout right before that combines hard cardio sets intermixed/combined with resistance training.

Seems to be working.

yeah, my parents were also light drinkers, compared to my grandparents, and me. Italians aren't really known to be big drinkers anyway. The Polish side of my family apparently had some straight up alcoholics, but they had all died of various ailments before I was born.

my dad's dad apparently got in a lot of booze-related brawls in the Navy. He didn't drink much later in life. I wrote the national record center after he died, and they sent me his service records, but they only included dates of enlistment and places he was stationed... nothing about discipline. I was disappointed.

My mom drinks a glass of wine everyday, but that's it. My dad will have a drink or two, but seems to genuinely dislike getting buzzed at all, and stops there. I don't understand that at all.

I drank pretty heavily from like age 18-32, but getting married and having my first son put the kibosh on that. Now it's maybe a cocktail or a glass of wine, or a couple beers, and I'm good. Hangovers are hard to bounce back from, so I avoid them at all costs.

I wonder if he didn't get written up or they just don't disclose disciplinary records - my mom's dad was supposedly busted down from sergeant to private for striking a superior officer who kicked his dog after my grandfather told him he would lay him out if he kicked his dog again.

Even in my heavy drinking days, I was never an everyday drinker. almost exclusively weekends (thurs, fri, sat) - never got into drinking and watching NFL on Sunday. It was a recovery day from college football and Saturday night. I don't think I was or am an alcoholic but if I was/am it's the binge drinking type, not the type that drinks everyday.

Last edited:
I drink a pint of Jack and a six pack of Mickey?s wide mouths every day.

Five days a week I do an intense interval workout right before that combines hard cardio sets intermixed/combined with resistance training.

Seems to be working.

you're Irish/Polish, right? You have a liver genetically engineered over the course of hundreds of years for that kind of thing.

I wonder if he didn't get written up or they just don't disclose disciplinary records - my mom's dad was supposedly busted down from sergeant to private for striking a superior officer who kicked his dog after my grandfather told him he would lay him out if he kicked his dog again.

Even in my heavy drinking days, I was never an everyday drinker. almost exclusively weekends (thurs, fri, sat) - never got into drinking and watching NFL on Sunday. It was a recovery day from college football and Saturday night. I don't think I was or am an alcoholic but if I was/am it's the binge drinking type, not the type that drinks everyday.

their notice said they release more detailed records to next of kin (parent/child). I told my dad he might be able to get more info, but he didn't seem interested.

and I always thought the binge drinking standards were ridiculously low, given how much college kids and 20-somethings drink in a typical outing.

It’s Lent. No Alcohol, among other things. Decided to stick around DSM this year.

I wrote the national record center after he died, and they sent me his service records, but they only included dates of enlistment and places he was stationed... nothing about discipline. I was disappointed.

My mom's dad and her uncles were all in the service during WWII. One of her uncles died in the war but nobody in the family really talked about it. I was always curious what my grandfather did during the war. I should look into doing what you did.

their notice said they release more detailed records to next of kin (parent/child). I told my dad he might be able to get more info, but he didn't seem interested.

and I always thought the binge drinking standards were ridiculously low, given how much college kids and 20-somethings drink in a typical outing.

they are but I have no doubt what I did in my late teens, twenties and early 30s would be considered binging by anyone's standards.

Last edited:
I drink a pint of Jack and a six pack of Mickey?s wide mouths every day.

Seems to be working.

maybe it's like training for a sport where you get conditioned for hit - like MC said, I just don't bounce back like I used to. If I did it more often, maybe I would be in better drinking shape but as it is, I'd need to sleep that kinda night off for a good 12+ hours and with 3 kids, I don't have that kind of time.

My mom's dad and her uncles were all in the service during WWII. One of her uncles died in the war but nobody in the family really talked about it. I was always curious what my grandfather did during the war. I should look into doing what you did.

My dad's dad was in his 40s and long out of the Navy by the start of WWII and my mom's dad lucked out and was an engineer building bases in England. I sorta dodged two bullets with him - he dropped out of the seminary, and wasn't in combat in WWII.

He said the US army would build an entire base (command centers, barracks, hangars, mess halls and miles of roads/runways) in the British countryside in the amount of time the Brits could build a half mile access road to the bases.

Last edited:
maybe it's like training for a sport where you get conditioned for hit - like MC said, I just don't bounce back like I used to. If I did it more often, maybe I would be in better drinking shape but as it is, I'd need to sleep that kinda night off for a good 12+ hours and with 3 kids, I don't have that kind of time.

No, drinking as much as I do would not be a good thing for a person who had kids to raise.

No, drinking as much as I do would not be a good thing for a person who had kids to raise.

you still get up pretty early though, no? I can just see myself now, rolling out of bed at 11am heading straight to 7-11 for the their nachos with extra chili and cheese and a Big Gulp of Gatorade as my pre-tailgate hangover cure meal like in the MSU days. Maybe I should look online for a used Honda Spree to really relive the experience. I could teach them all sorts of good life skills.

Last edited:
you still get up pretty early though, no? I can just see myself now, rolling out of bed at 11am heading straight to 7-11 for the their nachos with extra chili and cheese and a Big Gulp of Gatorade as my pre-tailgate hangover cure meal like in the MSU days. Maybe I should look online for a used Honda Spree to really relive the experience. I could teach them all sorts of good life skills.

Yeah, I never wake up with a hangover.

The only way I would eat 7-Eleven nachos though, would be if I were bound and they were force-fed to me.

Except for the alcohol, I am keto/Paleo/Atkins.

Yeah, I never wake up with a hangover.

The only way I would eat 7-Eleven nachos though, would be if I were bound and they were force-fed to me.

Except for the alcohol, I am keto/Paleo/Atkins.

I was in college - i'd done worse things to my body than eat 7-11 nachos and it really worked wonders on a hangover. It's been a while - at least 30 years. People my wife's age swear by Pedialite.

so for keto, do you not eat grain fed beef? I thought I read you have to avoid corn altogether including grain fed beef, is that correct? I think i mentioned in another thread that we're considering buying a whole cow from a local organic farmer - you buy the cow when it's a calf and he raises the thing for however long (think it takes a good 4-6 months longer than corn fed cows), gets it butchered and delivered.

You can get a half a cow or even a quarter cow. A whole cow is a lot.

It’s Lent. No Alcohol, among other things. Decided to stick around DSM this year.

OK, I have no idea what DSM means and google isn't returning anything that fits.

I usually give up swearing and all forms of sweets but just swearing this year. Like always I'm keeping a running tab and donating $1/curse word to the parish at the end.

Last edited:
Back