Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

San Fran renaming schools

zyxt9

I must express a degree of distaste for what the extreme Left is doing.

I get to some extent the desire to change the "hero worship" of people like Jefferson because he owned slaves.

I was shocked though to hear they are renaming Abraham Lincoln High School.

I admit his record regarding Native Americans was not perfect, but at what point do we fail to understand the context of the era the person lived within and recognize their apparent unwoke actions should be more attributed to ignorance and a product of their life experience? I firmly believe if Lincoln existed today he would admit his actions toward Natives was not perfect, but I believe he would have genuine regret and upon having the cloud of ignorance lifted, he would have ordered a change to what was happening. He was understandably overwhelmed and pre--occupied by the Civil War and trying to keep the nation together.

The Left is demanding impossible criteria be met by those long dead by casting today's views and opinions upon them.

Last edited:

I get to some extent the desire to change the "hero worship" of people like Jefferson because he owned slaves.

I admit his record regarding Native Americans was not perfect, but at what point do we fail to understand the context of the era the person lived within and recognize their apparent unwoke actions should be more attributed to ignorance and a product of their life experience? I firmly believe if Lincoln existed today he would admit his actions toward Natives was not perfect, but I believe he would have genuine regret and upon having the cloud of ignorance lifted, he would have ordered a change to what was happening. He was understandably overwhelmed and pre--occupied by the Civil War and trying to keep the nation together.

The Left is demanding impossible criteria be met by those long dead by casting today's views and opinions upon them.

Maybe we should rename all the schools after people who died of Covid or the AIDS.

EDIT: I was going to say “it would be hard to get more woke than that,” but then I realized that was wrong - any black person who died as a result of any police action should also have a school named after them.

That list should, of course, be topped by those involved in shootings for which the police shootings were found to be justified, because, you know - those findings of justification are the result of institutional racisms and systemic segregation.

That’s pretty woke.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Maybe we should rename all the schools after people who died of Covid or the AIDS.

LOL...I am confident none of them were perfect humans, so maybe we just out numbers on them or something.

I get Lincoln was not perfect, and I get NAs have legit negative views toward all the wrongs that happened...but if Lincoln is undeserving then every POTUS is because i cannot imagine anyone putting a different POTUS at #1 for which POTUS did the most for those who had the least. Maybe if Booth had not killed him he would have had the chance to correct how NAs were treated and so many wrongs might not have happened.

The Civil War made him detest war and mistreatment of others. I think he deserves the benefit of considering that potentiality.

LOL...I am confident none of them were perfect humans, so maybe we just out numbers on them or something.

I get Lincoln was not perfect, and I get NAs have legit negative views toward all the wrongs that happened...but if Lincoln is undeserving then every POTUS is because i cannot imagine anyone putting a different POTUS at #1 for which POTUS did the most for those who had the least. Maybe if Booth had not killed him he would have had the chance to correct how NAs were treated and so many wrongs might not have happened.

The Civil War made him detest war and mistreatment of others. I think he deserves the benefit of considering that potentiality.

Yeah, my list of potential renaming choices is growing by leaps and bounds - how could I have forgotten about the seventeen 9-11 terrorists?

The number of illegal aliens who have committed murder and rape is exaggerated - but it?s not like the number is zero - why don?t they have schools named after them?

Fuck me if I don?t get more woke every minute I think about this!

I am leaning more and more toward just giving schools numbers. Do not even use a town name and their mascots should be stripped away. School colors? Maybe rainbows, but probably a flat gray would be best...but even that will spark controversy.

Of course athletic competitions should be banned because they are...well...competitions and we should not have defined winners and lovers. This allows for removal of mascots and colors.

States will need to also change to numbers and all colleges and universities shall follow the same renaming and removal of athletics, mascots, colors, etc.

I am leaning more and more toward just giving schools numbers. Do not even use a town name and their mascots should be stripped away. School colors? Maybe rainbows, but probably a flat gray would be best...but even that will spark controversy.

Of course athletic competitions should be banned because they are...well...competitions and we should not have defined winners and lovers. This allows for removal of mascots and colors.

States will need to also change to numbers and all colleges and universities shall follow the same renaming and removal of athletics, mascots, colors, etc.

The internet is in love with Bob Ross, Mister Rogers, Steve Irwin, Betty White, and LeVar Burton. Could name schools after them.

I’m shocked that San Francisco hasn’t renamed its city. Someone has to be offended by the name and its origins.

I expect to see Google, Yelp, Salesforce, Dropbox, Uber, Lyft, Yahoo, Presidio, Twitter, Pinterest, Tic Toc, Alcatraz and Zodiac High Schools in the future.

EDIT: I rest my case.

Board member Kevine Boggess, who supported the resolution, suggested schools shouldn’t be named after anyone.

We "should not make heroes out of mortal folks," he said, according to the Chronicle. "I think we need to examine our naming policies across the district and really consider how the way we go about naming schools reflects our true values."​

Last edited:

EDIT: I was going to say ?it would be hard to get more woke than that,? but then I realized that was wrong - any black person who died as a result of any police action should also have a school named after them.

That list should, of course, be topped by those involved in shootings for which the police shootings were found to be justified, because, you know - those findings of justification are the result of institutional racisms and systemic segregation.

That?s pretty woke.

Any other suggestions?

Just make them numbers like in NYC. So they are regarded in the same fashion as the students.

That got rid of Roosevelt Middle School without even knowing whether it was named for Teddy or Franklin. It?s the chickens coming home to roost.

But it is intransigent in accepting criticism and opposition at the same time.

The Orwellian dystopian future has arrived. I don't like it, No sir don't like it at all.

The internet is in love with Bob Ross, Mister Rogers, Steve Irwin, Betty White, and LeVar Burton. Could name schools after them.

LeVar Burton probably criticized for playing a blind guy when he himself was not blind.

Betty White plays off the stereotype of crazy old lady. Plus her last name is obviously racist.

Steve Irwin attacked wildlife. Also he is a white guy.

Mister Rogers may have been a pedophile. OHHH...yeah, ok...they are good with that...still, his show did not have enough people from diverse backgrounds so he was certainly not Inclusive enough...and besides, no white male could possibly fit their requirements simply because they are white males.

Bob Ross...another white dude.

You are being racist by listing so many white people!

(I trust you are getting all of this is sarcasm, but I'm not sure everyone else will so I am mentioning it here. lol)

I?m shocked that San Francisco hasn?t renamed its city. Someone has to be offended by the name and its origins.

I expect to see Google, Yelp, Salesforce, Dropbox, Uber, Lyft, Yahoo, Presidio, Twitter, Pinterest, Tic Toc, Alcatraz and Zodiac High Schools in the future.

Board member Kevine Boggess, who supported the resolution, suggested schools shouldn?t be named after anyone.

We "should not make heroes out of mortal folks," he said, according to the Chronicle. "I think we need to examine our naming policies across the district and really consider how the way we go about naming schools reflects our true values."​

Coming up this Friday, we have the Inclusive Liberals visiting the Woke Left in this week's Pillow Fight of the Week...and as a reminder these pillows will be made from 100% recyclable materials and no pillows will actually make contact with another player while all players are wearing full protective equipment.

What if I told you the people doing this weren't really "the far left," and more or less represented the same economic interests the Right represented (ie billionaires & large corporations), but only changing school names to pander to the actual far left and sabotage any push for real reform and change, while insulating the wealth and power of the billionaires and corporate America?

And also it doesn't matter what you call the schools when they're poorly funded, over-crowded, economically (and racially) segregated, teachers are forced to teach to state-mandated education standards developed by the for-profit school industry, not actual academics, as a way to cheat economically disadvantaged schools out of additional funding (poor kids who don't have homes, clothes, or FOOD will always do worse than kids who have those things)... ie they all suck anyway?

I’m shocked that San Francisco hasn’t renamed its city. Someone has to be offended by the name and its origins.

Board member Kevine Boggess, who supported the resolution, suggested schools shouldn’t be named after anyone.

He's right. We shouldn't make heroes out of mortal folks. It would be hard to find anyone who had a record that will remain - timelessly - moral and on the right side of history.

Abe Lincoln was one of the greatest presidents, but that's more a knock on the many dozen mediocrities we've had in the office, rather than an endorsement of his character and personal heroism.

By and large he was a good guy... more so by the standards of his time than by today's standards.

I don't think he deserves to have schools named after him renamed, but it's not that big of a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's right. We shouldn't make heroes out of mortal folks. It would be hard to find anyone who had a record that will remain - timelessly - moral and on the right side of history.

Boo.

The word hero can have meaning without requiring anyone to be perfect.

This is all fine. Name schools after great people. Someday decide some people weren't so great. Some people over react to the flaws of great people, which is a mistake just like naming schools after people that shouldn't have been looked up to. There's no easy rule to follow to get it right all the time, but that's fine.

So this guy, I expect, rejects the ?hero fest? we?ve been celebrating since 2001.

Abe Lincoln was one of the greatest presidents, but that's more a knock on the many dozen mediocrities we've had in the office, rather than an endorsement of his character and personal heroism.

By and large he was a good guy... more so by the standards of his time than by today's standards.

I don't think he deserves to have schools named after him renamed, but it's not that big of a deal.

You want to change the name of a school, fine. But a board that has that influence has a lot more than it should. So it is that big of a deal. I?d like a list of school names that managed to be passed over. But, you know, the entire system of public education in the US is founded on the false premise that kids are treated like automatons.

That got rid of Roosevelt Middle School without even knowing whether it was named for Teddy or Franklin. It?s the chickens coming home to roost.

Not surprised since they were both white males, therefore persona non grata.

Plus Teddy, like Lincoln, was not a friend to Native Americans, used fake info to start a war, and built the Panama Canal which destroyed the environment in that region.

Then Franklin pushed forward the nuclear bomb, created the TVA which destroyed the environment, was too afraid of displaying his Disability and therefore was unkind to anyone who is Disabled, and cheated on his wife so he was a typical Sexist, Misogynist White Male. FDR also turned away a boat of Jews seeking escape from the Nazis and his actions sent that boat back to Europe where most were killed.

So many reasons to denounce these "great men". lol

So this guy, I expect, rejects the ?hero fest? we?ve been celebrating since 2001.

You want to change the name of a school, fine. But a board that has that influence has a lot more than it should. So it is that big of a deal. I?d like a list of school names that managed to be passed over. But, you know, the entire system of public education in the US is founded on the false premise that kids are treated like automatons.

I'm kinda curious if the SF school board is democratically elected. If they are, assuming you're a fan of democracy, you should have no problem with it.

In Chicago, they aren't, and are another part of the machine. The CPSB and Machine HATE teachers and their union more than they hate anything else.

Not surprised since they were both white males, therefore persona non grata.

Plus Teddy, like Lincoln, was not a friend to Native Americans, used fake info to start a war, and built the Panama Canal which destroyed the environment in that region.

Then Franklin pushed forward the nuclear bomb, created the TVA which destroyed the environment, was too afraid of displaying his Disability and therefore was unkind to anyone who is Disabled, and cheated on his wife so he was a typical Sexist, Misogynist White Male. FDR also turned away a boat of Jews seeking escape from the Nazis and his actions sent that boat back to Europe where most were killed.

So many reasons to denounce these "great men". lol

And there are the Japanese Internment Camps. And that he deliberately hid his myriad of serious health maladies that certainly impeded him from performing the duties of his office.

Last edited:
Back