Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

San Fran renaming schools

I'm kinda curious if the SF school board is democratically elected. If they are, assuming you're a fan of democracy, you should have no problem with it.

They can be evicted from office and replaced with board that could restore the original names, I suppose.

In Chicago, they aren't, and are another part of the machine. The CPSB and Machine HATE teachers and their union more than they hate anything else.

It?s the Chicago way.

But it's not "far left"

Even if they rename schools after MLK or Malcolm X.

I am not opposed to them... that said, MLK has a Middle School named after him and Malcolm X has an Elementary School in San Fran already. I see zero reason there cannot be a school with their name for the other grades too.

But if their Board decides to completely remove human names from the equation, how much of an uproar will their be when these names are removed?

Reminds me of "Then They Came For Me"...anyone else? Where does the line get drawn? What flaws will be considered acceptable?

Or do we, I don't know...maybe...EDUCATE students about how these individuals achieved great things but add to that ways they were flawed? Is not part of Life learning how to overcome mistakes? Does this not help students identify flaws and mistakes and ways to overcome obstacles and pushing for doing good?

Why is the Left just looking to tear things down instead of using problems, mistakes, poor judgment, etc as Learning Opportunities? You cannot just Cancel your own flaws the way the Left is trying to Cancel all of these flaws in others. You have to learn to overcome them.

But it's not "far left"

Even if they rename schools after MLK or Malcolm X.

I don’t care from which direction capricious decisions source. It only makes allowances for more of the same.

“He who is without sin ...” I wonder what character flaws that the SFBOE members have that would proscribe their names from school edifices.

Last edited:
Caitlyn Jenner Genderless middle school. Everyone gets dressed for gym class in the same locker room. No boys or girls bathrooms or sports teams.

I don?t care from which direction capricious decisions source. It only makes allowances for more of the same.

?He who is without sin ...? I wonder what character flaws that the SFBOE members have that would proscribe their names from school edifices.

Well... that will be relevant if and when they try to name schools after them.

Maybe just number schools like they do in NYC. Or use other geographic names.

"Riverside Elementary" ... "Forest Park High School."

there are an infinite supply of names.

Or if there is only one school, say for a more rural area, name it after the town.

Dinkville Elementary. or North Dinkville and South Dinkville.

Plenty of mascots that don't offend anyone as well... Bobcats, Tigers, Sharks, Lions, Ravens, Coyotes, Beavers, Titans, Giants, Wolverines, Badgers, Buckeyes, Acorns, Green Waves, etc.

Let's just rename shit as necessary, and move on.

Plenty of mascots that don't offend anyone as well... Bobcats, Tigers, Sharks, Lions, Ravens, Coyotes, Beavers, Titans, Giants, Wolverines, Badgers, Buckeyes, Acorns, Green Waves, etc.

I think Lions are offended that their good name is associated with that franchise.

Well... that will be relevant if and when they try to name schools after them.

Or prove unworthy of the office of being self-appointed makers of ?moral? decisions.

These names could offend plenty of people and organizations. Starting with animal-rights and environmental groups.

Let's just rename shit as necessary, and move on.

Move on, to what? The next wave of reformation? The next round of sterilization? The next distillation of culture?

Or prove unworthy of the office of being self-appointed makers of “moral” decisions.

These names could offend plenty of people and organizations. Starting with animal-rights and environmental groups.

Move on, to what? The next wave of reformation? The next round of sterilization? The next distillation of culture?

oh come on, this is not some slippery slope and if Chippewas, Sioux, or Navajo are offended some university or football team is dressing up like caricatures of their ancestry, and dancing around on a football field while a bunch of drunk idiots slobber over the spectacle in the stands, and the same institutions profit from sales of those logos and gear, don't you think they have a right to be? They were and still are, treated very badly by our government.

If wolverines or badgers get sentient and join American society, and are victimized and pushed off their land for 100's of years, then YES, I suppose they also would have a grounds to complain, but being an educated person, I'd say the chances of that are remote and we can ignore it for now in favor of starting to right very obvious and current historical wrongs, and so trying to draw links between the Fighting Illini having to get rid of Chief Illiniwek, and UM having to ditch the Wolverine is absurd.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh come on, this is not some slippery slope and if Chippewas, Sioux, or Navajo are offended some university or football team is dressing up like caricatures of their ancestry, and dancing around on a football field while a bunch of drunk idiots slobber over the spectacle in the stands, and the same institutions profit from sales of those logos and gear, don't you think they have a right to be? They were and still are, treated very badly by our government.

If wolverines or badgers get sentient and join American society, and are victimized and pushed off their land for 100's of years, then YES, I suppose they also would have a grounds to complain, but being an educated person, I'd say the chances of that are remote and we can ignore it for now in favor of starting to right very obvious and current historical wrongs, and so trying to draw links between the Fighting Illini having to get rid of Chief Illiniwek, and UM having to ditch the Wolverine is absurd.

The slope has never been slipperier. In the effort to eviscerate our history, these moral giants of the SF BOE are rewriting it.

I mean, even tolerance.org endorses the Gettysburg Address. Link

Last edited:
as I typed "Lions" I thought to myself, "somebody's gonna hit this one out of the park."

that's a solid double.

I wonder if there was a Mary Lyon middle school in SF, would that name be changed?

I'll have to duck-duck-go that name...

The Jr. Highs of my youth in my home town were named for woman social activists: Jane Addams, Helen Keller, Clara Barton, and Mary Lyon.

Last edited:
The Jr. Highs of my youth in my home town were named for woman social activists: Jane Addams, Helen Keller, Clara Barton, and Mary Lyon.

Where were middle-aged white guys and old white guys complaining about such an outrage back then?

The pub? Out on the front porch? The all-white, all-male country club?

Where were middle-aged white guys and old white guys complaining about such an outrage back then?

The pub? Out on the front porch? The all-white, all-male country club?

I recall absolutely no opposition to the concept. If anything, endorsement.

I?m shocked that San Francisco hasn?t renamed its city. Someone has to be offended by the name and its origins.

I expect to see Google, Yelp, Salesforce, Dropbox, Uber, Lyft, Yahoo, Presidio, Twitter, Pinterest, Tic Toc, Alcatraz and Zodiac High Schools in the future.

EDIT: I rest my case.

Board member Kevine Boggess, who supported the resolution, suggested schools shouldn?t be named after anyone.

We "should not make heroes out of mortal folks," he said, according to the Chronicle. "I think we need to examine our naming policies across the district and really consider how the way we go about naming schools reflects our true values."​

So they can't be named after Batman or the Punisher but San Fran could still have a Superman Jr. High or a Jor-El Elementary...

Back