Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

San Fran renaming schools

I thought he arrived as a refugee? Didn't his planet blow up, or something like that?

I wasn't a big comic book fan.

The kid did - sort of.

The father exhibited many of the traits of the alien European colonizers of the Americas that I noted - the vessel was with manned with force enough to be able to ultimately overwhelm the peoples that inhabited the Americas at the time - and, as such, I believe the father deserves the recognition afforded any alien colonizer of the Americas by having a school in San Francisco named after him.

I don?t agree with SM on everything, but on this, he and I are locked at the hip.

The kid did - sort of.

The father exhibited many of the traits of the alien European colonizers of the Americas that I noted - the vessel was with manned with force enough to be able to ultimately overwhelm the peoples that inhabited the Americas at the time - and, as such, I believe the father deserves the recognition afforded any alien colonizer of the Americas by having a school in San Francisco named after him.

I don?t agree with SM on everything, but on this, he and I are locked at the hip.

But if we're talking about immortality, Jor-El died, Kal-El has died. Kal-El had to come back because he has plot armor. If he's immortal, it's due to plot armor. I think Batman has the same plot armor and so, by the rules of this thread, is a viable option for naming a high school.

Now what about Obi Wan Kenobi? I don't know how I feel about force ghosts.

jeez Americans are dumb enough as it is... let's not dumb things down even more by naming schools after comic book characters

Nope. I’m just wondering why not Clark Kent’s Kryptonian name?

The old man - Kryptonian man - didn’t do much around here.

I don't know - I'm not really into superheroes and for some reason I remember his dad's name but only remember his kid as superman or his alter ego Clark Kent. But you got me thinking, is superman only immortal on earth? Because the old man died on Krypton, didn't he? And why would a public school on earth name themselves after Jor-el - what did he do for earth? His kid landed here by chance, right? Kal-el (thanks Google) Elementary would probably be more likely.

Edit: I should have gotten caught up on this thread before posting that. Now that I am, seems like the logical thing to do is name a school after Jor-el, then when everyone puts up a stink about it, rename it after Kal-el.

Last edited:
There are two sides to every story and when one side is allowed to suppress the other side without discussion or consideration, that is dangerous. The SF school board is picking and choosing its heroes, as one member explicitly states that schools should not be named after them.

So, then, remove all the names and rename them accordingly.

There are two sides to every story and when one side is allowed to suppress the other side without discussion or consideration, that is dangerous. The SF school board is picking and choosing its heroes, as one member explicitly states that schools should not be named after them.

We also don't need to be homogeneous. I'm ok with one city overreacting and another city underreacting with some of this. I can think they're nuts in San Fran without wanting them to conform to my views. Same goes for some Confederate monuments. Depending on the history of the monument, I can see some of them being keepers even though others don't like it.

the two sides to this story are:

1) Hey, a lot of our American myths and legends gloss over appalling treatment and slaughter of Native Americans and also the extent and duration of the practice of slavery. We never accepted responsibility for these things; we still think we're exceptionally moral among nations, and use that myth to justify further atrocities and aggressive conduct toward the rest of the world.

vs.

2) No none of that happened, shut the fuck up, you just hate America. HATER.

... Same goes for some Confederate monuments. Depending on the history of the monument, I can see some of them being keepers even though others don't like it.

Well, in that area of history, I don't see any shades of gray there: If you committed armed treason in defense of the practice of slavery, you should not have a monument.

It doesn't matter if you were a likable guy, or told funny stories, felt bad about it later, or just felt really loyal to your state: you committed armed treason in defense of slavery.

Every single state that seceded listed the defense of the practice of slavery first and foremost, and in some cases as the only reason, for their secession.

Back