Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spring Football 2023

johnny2x2x

Team was decimated by injuries last season, so the staff has gone a lot lighter on tackling this Spring. The training and practicing os going to be really focused on minimizing tackling and injuries this Spring and throught the Summer. Watch us be even worse at tackling this Fall.

The biggest development from Spring so far is Katin Houser at QB. It's an open competition, but he reportedly played much better than Thorne in the first scrimmage. He has a great arm with a quick release and more size than Thorne, if it's neck and neck, Houser should get the nod IMO because he's better for the future.

Team was decimated by injuries last season, so the staff has gone a lot lighter on tackling this Spring. The training and practicing os going to be really focused on minimizing tackling and injuries this Spring and throught the Summer. Watch us be even worse at tackling this Fall.

The biggest development from Spring so far is Katin Houser at QB. It's an open competition, but he reportedly played much better than Thorne in the first scrimmage. He has a great arm with a quick release and more size than Thorne, if it's neck and neck, Houser should get the nod IMO because he's better for the future.

I don't see how that could be possible.

Didn't you lose a couple defensive coaches, including your DL guy? Why did they go?

Honestly, I thought MSU's run defense was decent last year. Kept you guys in games, even if your offense was an exercise in futility, and your pass defense was still lousy.

Didn't you lose a couple defensive coaches, including your DL guy? Why did they go?

Honestly, I thought MSU's run defense was decent last year. Kept you guys in games, even if your offense was an exercise in futility, and your pass defense was still lousy.

Our run defense was 102nd out of 131 teams last year. They gave up 178 yds per game. It was ranked lower than our pass defense.

Last edited:
you know nothing about football, why do you keep posting about it? Our run defense was 102nd out of 131 teams giving up 178 yds per game.

Well, like against us, you held us to less than 6 YPC, which is pretty good. Yeah, you gave up 276 yards, but that's because your offense had like one drive over 5 plays all game.

so yeah, your whole team sucked, but your run defense sucked less, and probably would've been okay if they weren't like the single nail holding the whole frame up...

That's a metaphor. Do you need me to explain what a metaphor is?

Lost 1 DL coach back to his alma mater and the other to an NFL job, wer'd have kept both if we could, but the guy we replkaced them with has a better resume that either had, so hopefully he'll work out.

Lost 1 DL coach back to his alma mater and the other to an NFL job, wer'd have kept both if we could, but the guy we replkaced them with has a better resume that either had, so hopefully he'll work out.

Were those the only staffing changes? I'm genuinely curious... I didn't see anything on espn about anyone leaving from Tucker's staff and the Freep's MSU coverage is entirely about basketball right now

Last edited by a moderator:
Our run defense was 102nd out of 131 teams last year. They gave up 178 yds per game. It was ranked lower than our pass defense.

haha you dropped that part about me not knowing anything about football, eh?

when you sort your stats by yards/rush they're not as bad as your ypg.

But yeah, when your offense leaves the defense out there all day, (128th in TOP) your defense will give up more yards.

Well, like against us, you held us to less than 6 YPC, which is pretty good. Yeah, you gave up 276 yards, but that's because your offense had like one drive over 5 plays all game.

so yeah, your whole team sucked, but your run defense sucked less, and probably would've been okay if they weren't like the single nail holding the whole frame up...

No, I don't but clearly you need football explained to you. Your run game being massively overrated doesn't mean our run defense was good. Our run defense (102nd out of 131) ranked lower than our pass defense (87th). It wasn't the nail holding anything together, it was as bad or worse than the other facets of the team.

haha you dropped that part about me not knowing anything about football, eh?

when you sort your stats by yards/rush they're not as bad as your ypg.

But yeah, when your offense leaves the defense out there all day, (128th in TOP) your defense will give up more yards.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit harsh, then you posted this

and I immediately regretted taking it out. Then after proving me right, that you in fact know nothing about football, you actually pointed out the edit highlighting your own ineptitude. Classic.

Wow, we ranked 81st out of 131 in YPC allowed - not that bad... That's some real football knowledge you're dropping. Except our defense didn't get worn down - most games were over by half time because our defense sucked as much as our offense. They didn't get stops in the first quarter, let alone the first half. In our 7 losses, only uofm and IU scored more points in the second half than the first. In four straight losses (Wash, MN, MD & OSU) our defense forced 2 first half punts - not 2 per game, 2 total in four games. Most teams took their foot off the gas with the game well in hand.

Last edited:
Were those the only staffing changes? I'm genuinely curious... I didn't see anything on espn about anyone leaving from Tucker's staff and the Freep's MSU coverage is entirely about basketball right now

Stop asking all these dumb questions. You follow MSU closer than anyone on this board

very well. I'll just have to get my MSU news from the RCMB.

a better class of spartan posts there anyway...

It's pretty amusing when a classless hack and the biggest troll on this site passes judgement on the caliber of other posters. I don't recall ever being on RCMB but from what I hear it seems like the right place for a clown that doesn?t understand football. Have fun.

May I ask questions about Spartan football?

Absolutely, ask away. Just try to avoid pitfalls other posters have found for themselves by making statements of fact without knowing the facts.
Like saying "your team held us to less than 6 yards per carry, which is pretty good" when your team averaged 5.6 yards per carry.

Last edited:
Absolutely, ask away. Just try to avoid pitfalls other posters have found for themselves by making statements of fact without knowing the facts.
Like saying "your team held us to less than 6 yards per carry, which is pretty good" when your team averaged 5.6 yards per carry.

well, yeah, 5.6 is pretty good, considering our focus was running the ball, and the week before our "massively overrated" run game put up 7.6/carry on Penn State, and 7.2/carry against OSU... but please explain numbers and football to me, I can't even...

well, yeah, 5.6 is pretty good, considering our focus was running the ball, and the week before our "massively overrated" run game put up 7.6/carry on Penn State, and 7.2/carry against OSU... but please explain numbers and football to me, I can't even...

It's not difficult. Holding an overrated run game to it's average ypc isn't exactly an accomplishment or a good argument for the quality of our run defense.

It's also not difficult to understand that 7.2yds per carry against OSU is skewed by 2 fluke 4th quarter running plays that went for 75 and 85 yards. Take those 2 runs out and that vaunted rushing attack was averaging 2.97 ypc against the Buckeyes. Only you would be dumb enough to make the argument that our rush defense was better than OSU's. I didn't watch the PSU game but it looks like something similar happened with rushing TDs of 61yds and 67yds.

Edit: I take it all back, I just noticed we didn't give up any rushing TDs over 80 yards to your definitely not overrated rushing attack. Our rush defense must have been pretty good.

Last edited:
It's not difficult. Holding an overrated run game to it's average ypc isn't exactly an accomplishment or a good argument for the quality of our run defense.

It's also not difficult to understand that 7.2yds per carry against OSU is skewed by 2 fluke 4th quarter running plays that went for 75 and 85 yards. Take those 2 runs out and that vaunted rushing attack was averaging 2.97 ypc against the Buckeyes. Only you would be dumb enough to make the argument that our rush defense was better than OSU's. I didn't watch the PSU game but it looks like something similar happened with rushing TDs of 61yds and 67yds.

Edit: I take it all back, I just noticed we didn't give up any rushing TDs over 80 yards to your definitely not overrated rushing attack. Our rush defense must have been pretty good.

Yeah, you should take it all back, because your "argument" here is retarded.

Yes, if you take out all the huge runs Penn St and OSU gave up to us and MSU didn't, their YPC numbers are better than MSUs. I don't think even the guys on the RCMB would try to argue that point.

Yeah, you should take it all back, because your "argument" here is retarded.

Yes, if you take out all the huge runs Penn St and OSU gave up to us and MSU didn't, their YPC numbers are better than MSUs. I don't think even the guys on the RCMB would try to argue that point.

Yeah, "all" the runs - all two of them, late in the game for a mere 160 yards. Those aren't outliers. Your run game was so dominant all day long. Genius.

I keep thinking one day you'll learn you can't get yourself out of a hole by digging, but you never do.

Last edited:
Flipping through the channels I put on the USFL just in time to see Matt Coughlin kick a knuckling line drive for 3 for the New Orleans Breakers. Can?t seem to get away from this kid.

Back