Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spring Football 2023

don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning or trying to justify it and this is another negative of the portal - displacing kids at the destination school. I was just making the point that outside of a handful of higher profile athletes who might trade up or laterally, the overwhelming majority of transfers are from what I can tell, a step down in program caliber.

Coach: "You're our starting QB for the next four years, unless someone better comes along."

Recruit: "I'm your starting QB for the next four years, unless I get a better offer."

*Existing starting QB transfers, displacing another starting QB, who transfers ... usw*

Coach: "You're our starting QB for the next four years, unless someone better comes along. Or unless you help me succeed here, and it leads to a better job from another school, in which case I will ditch you and your teammates on the spot and go coach there. "

Recruit: "I'm your starting QB for the next four years, unless I get a better offer."

*Existing starting QB transfers, displacing another starting QB, who transfers ... usw*

You forgot that part in red.

I guess the Cardinal virtue that's missing or removed in all this is that of Fortitude. We lack it as a society.

Well, Brantley withdrew his name from the portal. Coley and Tatum still m ight be our starters, but Brantley is a valuable piece for sure. And he's Keon's best friend. Keon probably isn't returning, but he was seen with Tucker in his office yesterday.

Thorne, it was time to move on, this is a positive.

Oh look, someone can here to post instantly when something good happened. Been a ghost when negative news comes out.

Oh look, someone can here to post instantly when something good happened. Been a ghost when negative news comes out.

sometimes it takes a day or two for premium content providers to explain why bad news is good, or that it's all part of the plan.

Multiple people have already commented that Thorne leaving was good, even some uofm posters agreed but at least now we know for sure.

Last edited:
sometimes it takes a day or two for premium content providers to explain why bad news is good, or that it's all part of the plan.

Multiple people have already commented that Thorne leaving was good, even some uofm posters agreed but at least now we know for sure.

I don't think either Byco or I agreed Thorne leaving was good (for you guys, at least).

Personally, I think unless Mel brought in a QBC worth his salt to develop Kim or the other backup from last year, I would be worried if I was an MSU fan. I don't recall MSU signing any true frosh QB's that were capable of starting this fall.

I guess the Cardinal virtue that's missing or removed in all this is that of Fortitude. We lack it as a society.

Who could have foreseen that pushing a "Greed is good" "take care of your own self interest and the "invisible hand" will take care of the rest" "FREEDOM!" ethos on a national level would result in a nation full of self-absorbed assholes, completely incapable of working together or doing anything that didn't involve chasing dollars?

I don't think either Byco or I agreed Thorne leaving was good (for you guys, at least).

Personally, I think unless Mel brought in a QBC worth his salt to develop Kim or the other backup from last year, I would be worried if I was an MSU fan. I don't recall MSU signing any true frosh QB's that were capable of starting this fall.

that was hyperbole. you know less about college football than you do about economics - you're a contraindicator, nobody should rely on you to validate anything.

Last edited:
that was hyperbole. you know less about college football than you do about economics - you're a contraindicator, nobody should rely on you to validate anything.

Well, if you want to know what I really think, I think losing your two best offensive players was bad, your coach has shown no ability to develop anyone on his roster, and your team is going to be complete shit this year.

I guess we'll see who knows less about college football this fall.

Well, if you want to know what I really think, I think losing your two best offensive players was bad, your coach has shown no ability to develop anyone on his roster, and your team is going to be complete shit this year.

I guess we'll see who knows less about college football this fall.

In case it wasn't already clear, I don't care what you think.

okay, but you keep responding. Actions, louder than words, and all that...

okay, but you keep responding. Actions, louder than words, and all that...

I'll say this - it's a good thing you got it on the record that you think losing your two best offensive players is bad. That's seriously impactful content. I am a little surprised you put your reputation on the line with such an aggressive, non-consensus take. You're really going out on a limb and at the same time, demonstrating a real mastery of the nuance of the game. If we have a bad season (that no one else sees coming, especially after what happened last year) there is a clear record that you predicted it AND supported it with in depth, not at all obvious analysis.

Last edited:
I'll say this - it's a good thing you got it on the record that you think losing your two best offensive players is bad. That's seriously impactful content. I am a little surprised you put your reputation on the line with such an aggressive, non-consensus take. You're really going out on a limb and at the same time, demonstrating a real mastery of the nuance of the game. If we have a bad season (that no one else sees coming, especially after what happened last year) there is a clear record that you predicted it AND supported it with in depth, not at all obvious analysis.

Okay. now it sure seems like you do care what I think.

so the 30th was the deadline for players to enter the portal, is there a deadline for transfer decisions to be made?

Haven't seen any indications that Coleman is looking anywhere specifically but I've seen what appear to be average joe's with a youtube channel where they talk about their favorite school's sports. One was a local Miami sportscaster, the other a USC fan. They don't seem to have any meaningful update or inside information, which is to be expected considering Coleman went into the portal right under the deadline two days ago.

edit: read a piece that said Coleman is expected to take a visit to FSU and that LSU, Miami, USC and Tennessee were all in the mix. The only school mentioned to have interest in Thorne was Auburn - not sure of the source for any of this. Other than possibly Miami, Coleman's prospects are probably better at those schools. As for Thorne, I doubt anyone cares where he ends up - he's basically a poor man's Cade McNamara. As things stand, landing at Auburn is probably worse than transferring to Iowa.

Last edited:
Coleman to take official visit to FSU this weekend. Probably the first of many official and unofficial visits. From the rumor mill, it sounds like the issue is not just him not wanting to play for a shitty team with an as yet undecided mediocre QB. There are rumors that he's not happy with his NIL deal at MSU but there are also rumors that MSU has indicated they'll match other NIL offers so who knows what's true and what's not. Can't believe I once thought the portal and NIL would be bad for college football.

Some people seem to be holding out hope since he hasn't completely closed the door to MSU but I'd be shocked if he comes back.

On the plus side, apparently Thorne has publicly declared that his time at MSU is done.

Last edited:
Thorne officially announced his transfer to Auburn.

Next man up! I'm sure replacing him won't be a problem, given Tucker's penchant for developing the kids on his roster!

Thorne officially announced his transfer to Auburn.

Next man up! I'm sure replacing him won't be a problem, given Tucker's penchant for developing the kids on his roster!

Wierd that you're over here posting about msu transfers and yet nothing on your forum about that douche Hunter leaving your hoops team for Kansas. But I guess when like 80% of your roster leaves over 2 years it becomes the norm. As long as Howard is still there coaching, I'd pump the breaks on hurling "developing" insults at Mel

Back