Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

State of the Tigers

.899 OPS, been a long time since we had someone post an OPS like that. The problem I have with the 3 studs they all strike out too much.

I'm not a huge fan of strikeouts, but if you are hitting 30+ HRs with an OPS over .800, I can live with them.

I'm not a huge fan of strikeouts, but if you are hitting 30+ HRs with an OPS over .800, I can live with them.
Carp is just under 1 a game. Greene and Tork are over 1 a game. You play everyday that's a lot of k's. I'm looking at closer to 40 home runs .950+ OPS. Only because so many guys left on base/not moved up.

Hopefully they can improve on the strikeout totals next season, and improve at driving in the runner from third with zero or 1 out.

The real trouble with the strikeout is there is no movement of a base runner. And there is no scoring as well. Base runners need walks, hits, or errors to move them. Few runs are scored by the stolen base.
As for Tork he really swings at too high of a pitch, out of the strike zone imo, He was trying too hard to hit a homer and struck himself out. He needs to work on working the count. Carpenter got a better pitch by taking the bad pitches and blasting a decent pitch. The pitch was a cutter that got to much of the plate and man was he all over it.

The real trouble with the strikeout is there is no movement of a base runner. And there is no scoring as well. Base runners need walks, hits, or errors to move them. Few runs are scored by the stolen base.
As for Tork he really swings at too high of a pitch, out of the strike zone imo, He was trying too hard to hit a homer and struck himself out. He needs to work on working the count. Carpenter got a better pitch by taking the bad pitches and blasting a decent pitch. The pitch was a cutter that got to much of the plate and man was he all over it.
Outside the Granny Carp struckout 3 times on some really bad pitches.

You worry about Minny but the Indians are still ahead of us. They suck and yet we're still in 3rd.

Cle lost twice today Tigers are one back in the loss column, with three games to play them at the end of the season. They are really catchable. Minnie is the team that has to be caught. Tigers have no games with them..

Easy to say that about Cleveland but we still haven't caught them.

3 young guys in their 2nd years that took big jumps this season and still negativity. Again, Tiger fans are wild

3 young guys in their 2nd years that took big jumps this season and still negativity. Again, Tiger fans are wild

We can't say anything can we. I complimented them and just said I wish they struck out less I guess that's taboo.

We should hope they become more selective in what they get fooled at and that will cut down on the strikeouts. All this striking out came when players of all sizes started to swing at everything from their heels and not just hit the ball where it was pitched.

Even greatness like Miggy and his peers for the last 20 years all strike out over 100 times a season.

It is a new era of baseball unlike that from which a few of us grew up with when they rarely struck out 100 or more times.

Give me a lineup of .280's .290's and a solid .300 hitter or two with a good OBP and I will be happy with or without this modern day 100 or more K seasons. Runs will score.

Carp is just under 1 a game. Greene and Tork are over 1 a game. You play everyday that's a lot of k's. I'm looking at closer to 40 home runs .950+ OPS. Only because so many guys left on base/not moved up.

Those are some lofty goals. There was only one player last year with an OPS over .950 and over 40 home runs. There were only 3 players with an OPS over .950 period.

There has to be a line somewhere.. Play everyday and Greene is striking out near 200 times. And when Miggy was striking out he also hitting .320 and huge OPS numbers.

When you're hitting .235 as a team we could do with a few less k's. Just a pet peave is all. Nothing to get bent out of shape with just an opinion.

Those are some lofty goals. There was only one player last year with an OPS over .950 and over 40 home runs. There were only 3 players with an OPS over .950 period.
I just threw them out there. Happy with the young guys but like Bob it gets tiring watching guys left on 3rd when a ball in play might have gotten him in.

I just threw them out there. Happy with the young guys but like Bob it gets tiring watching guys left on 3rd when a ball in play might have gotten him in.

I agree. I can live with Torkelson and Carpenter's strike out rates because I consider them to be pure power hitters. Green on the other hand needs to cut back on his. While I think he will be a 20+ HR hitter, he is more of a top of the order bat and should not K as much. He is only 22 years old and still has some developing to do.

I really like those three players. I hope they can develop Carpenter into a decent defensive outfielder. I don't want to have to be limited to a full time DH.

At least the Tigers didn't sign a guy like Strasburg. He's going to get paid his full $245M for pitching in 8 games. Makes the Baez contract look good! :lmao:

Consider Baez is making 25m he'd be down cheap if he hit marginally better.

I know E-Rod is a head case, and for financial reasons, he would be stupid not to opt out of his contract. But what if (A HUGE IF) he really does like it in Detroit. Would you add another year to the end of his contract, say for $25M, to keep him as a veteran at the top of the rotation?

I know E-Rod is a head case, and for financial reasons, he would be stupid not to opt out of his contract. But what if (A HUGE IF) he really does like it in Detroit. Would you add another year to the end of his contract, say for $25M, to keep him as a veteran at the top of the rotation?
The thing that makes me think he's gone is the fact during the deadline he asked for another year at 20m to go to LA. If LA said yes he'd be there right now. My guess is he'll get a LT deal at 25m/yr. Minimum.

The problem with keeping him is lets say within the next two years Tigers are still sellers at the deadline is he tradable? He's flaky asf.

Back