Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stupid Tigers Trade Porcello for Cespedes + trade Suarez for Simple Simon from reds

Rick is one of the worst pitchers in terms of in-game adjustments. He just can't do it.. he'll throw the same shit over and over again regardless of the outcome. He'd have 2 great starts and then an automatic loss while giving up 8 runs. Too inconsistent and never had a put-away pitch. Always has to rely on defense to get him out of jams.. He'll never be more than a number 3 or 4 starter because of that.

untitled.png

We're talking about the Tigers defense right?

Don't shoot the messenger but I remember something about a clause in the contract for Cespedes that he couldn't be made a qualifying offer, so we get no draft pick after next year? that would not be good

And to think we/Tigers had ran out of ways to shoot ones self in the foot!

Cespedes is nothing more than Colby Rasmus with an arm. Bcause of his homerun derby appearances and highlights of throwing people out fans think he is better than he really is.

I argue they would have been better off keeping Porcello, signing Rasmus then trading those pieces for a bp arm

Tigers could still Rasmus as a 4th outfield.

and this is exactly why we should be thrilled that we were able to get someone like cespedes for him .

You're overvaluing Cespedes. He's an above average player IMO, but not that good. He's a 30 year old Torii Hunter with more power and defense.. so he is definitely an upgrade over Torii. However, we downgraded our rotation a bit.. still a win because we upgraded both Offense and Defense with this move.

untitled.png

We're talking about the Tigers defense right?

Our middle infield defense was more than adequate.. don't act like it wasn't. The left and right sides were shit. My point is that without defense, Rick wouldn't be able to get out of jams like true top tier pitchers. Even Fister could get a K when he needed it. Rick is always giving up baserunners, so double plays are his friend.. but a lot of times, his pitches are hit too hard on the infield up the middle.

Didn't read this thread but i'm sure it's full of the same usual posters whining about every deal the Tigers make, and probably some posts about how Cespedes sucks because of his low OBP.

just glad the Tigers got rid of that fraud Porcello, who showed his true colors his last 6 starts, good chance he just had his best season he'll ever have in his career. good riddance. I hope Alice Avila is next to go.

Talk about whining!

Yesterday-ish

1. Davis/Gose CF
2. Kinsler 2B
3. Miggy 1B
4. VMart DH
5. JD RF
6. Nick C 3B
7. Avila C
8. Collins????? LF
9. Iggy SS

Today(how i'd like to see it work out at least)

1. Kinsler
2. JD
3. Miggy
4. VMart
5. Cespedes
6. Nick C
7. Avila
8. Iggy
9. Davis/Gose

Getting that new lineup was the cost of going from Porcello to Simon as our 4th starter and we also picked up a BP arm.

Why again are many of you bitching?

Here be the problem Simon as the #4 starter! As many think he is an average #5 at best! RP was getting into being a # 3 average to good good #4 to great #5.

Yesterday-ish

1. Davis/Gose CF
2. Kinsler 2B
3. Miggy 1B
4. VMart DH
5. JD RF
6. Nick C 3B
7. Avila C
8. Collins????? LF
9. Iggy SS

Today(how i'd like to see it work out at least)

1. Kinsler
2. JD
3. Miggy
4. VMart
5. Cespedes
6. Nick C
7. Avila
8. Iggy
9. Davis/Gose

Getting that new lineup was the cost of going from Porcello to Simon as our 4th starter and we also picked up a BP arm.

Why again are many of you bitching?

How I see the line up
Kinsler/Davis
Cespedes/Kinsler
Cabrera
V-Mart
J.D.
Nick C/Cespedes
AA/Nick C
Iggy/AA
Davis/Iggy
Cespedes giver the line up some other options. Shoot I could even see him leading off. I would leave our 3,4,5 spots as they ere in 2014.

Good question. I don't trust Simon completely, but our rotation was our strength to begin with. It's still entirely possible that we add a SP, maybe even Scherzer. We downgraded slightly at NUMBER 4 pitcher, and gained an upgrade offensively to what we had last year. .300 OBP or not, I'll take 20+ HR and 100 RBI behind Miguel and Vmart. We don't need our 5-hole hitter to be on base a lot, because there isn't anyone below him that would really be able to drive him in anyway. We'd have at least 3 hitters in front of him who get on base at an acceptable-to-great rate.

You're being pretty optimistic in your projections for Cespedes if you think he'll be an upgrade over 2014 Hunter offensively. He's pretty much just gonna offset the offensive loss from Hunter and will improve the defensive. Offensively, it's possible, but, it would be surprising if he's an upgrade.

And Porcello to Simon will be a pretty big downgrade.

Don't look at ERA, it's pretty useless as an predictor in future performance, especially when it was the guys first season as a full time starter at the age of 34.

From 2012-2014, there were 142 MLB Outfielders with 1,000 Innings in the outfield.

The rankings for those 142 last 3 years Away:

RC/650

39. J.D. Martinez
48. T. Hunter
67. A. Jackson

74. Cespedes
76. A. Dirks
105. R. Davis
138. A. Gose

OPS

34. J.D. Martinez
37. T. Hunter
59. Cespedes
69. A. Jackson

82. A. Dirks
112. R. Davis
135. A. Gose

OBP

50. J.D. Martinez
55. A. Dirks
60. T. Hunter
68. A. Jackson

92. R. Davis
112. Cespedes
126. A. Gose

UZR/150

35. A. Gose
42. A. Dirks
46. Cespedes

94. A. Jackson
101. T. Hunter
110. R. Davis
120. J.D. Martinez

UZR/150 + RC/650 (Total Overall Value)

62. A. Dirks
64. Cespedes
72. T. Hunter

80. J.D. Martinez
82. A. Jackson
120. R. Davis
131. A. Gose

Oh, and...

PA/HR

31. Cespedes
52. T. Hunter
56. J.D. Martinez

84. A. Jackson
86. A. Dirks
108. R. Davis
137. A. Gose

Last edited:
Here be the problem Simon as the starter! As many think he is an average #5 at best! RP was getting into being a # 3 average to good good #4 to great #5.

Ricky sucked ass. Decent bounce back season last year....but In your terms were arguing about losing a great #5 pitcher? Really? The only thing ricky has ever been good at is throwing 3 strong innings then getting shelled in the 4th. Over and over and over and over again...

Needed an of...we got one. If were relying on our 5th sp then were already doomed.

Ricky sucked ass. Decent bounce back season last year....but In your terms were arguing about losing a great #5 pitcher? Really? The only thing ricky has ever been good at is throwing 3 strong innings then getting shelled in the 4th. Over and over and over and over again...

Needed an of...we got one. If were relying on our 5th sp then were already doomed.

Yep.

People should be way more concerned with JV bouncing back then losing Porcello. It holds far more importance.

It is comical the number of ignorant posters that slot Porcello as a #5 starter. Really, do you even have a metric that defines the differences between a #1, #2, #3, #4 or #5? Because by all sabermetric accounts, Porcello has been a low #3 with last year showing possibilities of a #2. Maybe it is one of those eye test things. He is only 25 after all.

From 2012-2014, there were 142 MLB Outfielders with 1,000 Innings in the outfield.

The rankings for those 142 last 3 years Away:

RC/650

39. J.D. Martinez
48. T. Hunter
67. A. Jackson

74. Cespedes
76. A. Dirks
105. R. Davis
138. A. Gose

OPS

34. J.D. Martinez
37. T. Hunter
59. Cespedes
69. A. Jackson

82. A. Dirks
112. R. Davis
135. A. Gose

OBP

50. J.D. Martinez
55. A. Dirks
60. T. Hunter
68. A. Jackson

92. R. Davis
112. Cespedes
126. A. Gose

UZR/150

35. A. Gose
42. A. Dirks
46. Cespedes

94. A. Jackson
101. T. Hunter
110. R. Davis
120. J.D. Martinez

UZR/150 + RC/650 (Total Overall Value)

62. A. Dirks
64. Cespedes
72. T. Hunter

80. J.D. Martinez
82. A. Jackson
120. R. Davis
131. A. Gose

Oh, and...

PA/HR

31. Cespedes
52. T. Hunter
56. J.D. Martinez

84. A. Jackson
86. A. Dirks
108. R. Davis
137. A. Gose

Even though it's a small sample Cespedes will not go 12 for 49 = .245 against Tiger pitching. BTW he has not had an AB against Oakland yet, who knows all star or bust. The above shows he's not the worst. And he has played some au little center field. And his post all-star,2nd half has been somewhat better than 1st half. Last 3 seasons.

Back