Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

t?Official Religion Hatred Thread

Well id there is one thing christians love to do it's tell other christians they're not christians after all.

Yeah. I get that a lot myself. People in general love to point out the mote in their neighbor's eye and ignore the plank in their own. But I do not think it's un-Christian to admonish those who are not behaving as such. It's a spiritual work of mercy, in fact.

that logic doesn't apply equally. Mohamed and Christ don't have a lot in common when it comes to violence and respect for your fellow human, particularly those of other faiths.

I'll take your word for it. I'm probably not as educated on religious doctrine as you are, outside of Catholicism, and can't say I want to put forth the effort to learn more. :cheers:

Oh, you must not have grown up Catholic in suburban Detroit like I did...

Every white supremacist is a racist, but not every garden variety racist is a white supremacist.

White supremacy is an ideology that embraces the philosophies of the Ku Klux Klan and Nazis, both of whom had adversarial thoughts about Catholicism.

Every white supremacist is a racist, but not every garden variety racist is a white supremacist.

White supremacy is an ideology that embraces the philosophies of the Ku Klux Klan and Nazis, both of whom had adversarial thoughts about Catholicism.

But that's my point: in my experience, white catholics I know identified as part of one race, and were no longer aware of the white Catholic/Protestant divide that was such a huge deal back in the 1920's... and even thereafter.

Like I said, maybe that was more meaningful in 1900-1920, but growing up in suburban Detroit and going to catholic school, there was never an awareness that "Hey, a a couple generations ago we were just as discriminated against as recent immigrants are these days" ...

Last edited by a moderator:
But that's my point: in my experience, white catholics I know identified as part of one race, and were no longer aware of the white Catholic/Protestant divide that was such a huge deal back in the 1920's... and even thereafter.

Maybe in B'Ham, that was the case, but I grew up going to Mass in a church that was made of Granite and Limestone, and the original wooden one was burned down (likely by the KKK) in 1936. The KKK did plant a burning wooden cross at the original wooden church shortly after it was completed in 1925.

Like I said, maybe that was more meaningful in 1900-1920, but growing up in suburban Detroit and going to catholic school, there was never an awareness that "Hey, a generation ago we were just as discriminated against as blacks"

I can't sign this and I am bit stunned that you do. Catholics being vilified by the KKK is not the same thing as being murdered and lynched, or being subject to systematic oppression and suppression by (state and federal) governments.

The man who fired a semi-automatic weapon inside the Chabad of Poway synagogue in San Diego on Saturday froze, dropped his gun and sprinted to his car when he saw Oscar Stewart come barreling toward him, yelling so loud the priest at a neighboring church could hear.

“Get down!” Stewart yelled, according to his wife and others who were at the scene. “You motherfucker! I’m going to kill you!”

Others who were there later told him it sounded like four or five people were shouting. He thinks maybe an angel was standing behind him and speaking through his voice. When the shooter ran, he immediately gave chase.

Stewart, 51, told The Daily Caller on Sunday he doesn’t remember any conscious thought from the moment he heard the gun shots until it was all over — he just acted on instinct to stop the shooter and prevent him from leaving so he couldn’t hurt more people somewhere else. The Iraq combat veteran said his military training kicked in.

“I knew I had to be within five feet of this guy so his rifle couldn’t get to me,” Stewart said. “So I ran immediately toward him, and I yelled as loud as I could. And he was scared. I scared the hell out of him.”

https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/28/combat-vet-stopped-san-diego-synagogue-shooter/

Guardian angels (and that is what would have been involved in this instance) a) would never use that language b) would never talk "through" a person. c) would never threaten to kill someone. If supernatural forces were in effect here, they were far less obvious.

Few catholics of more recent generations are aware of the anti-catholic bias that their great-great or great grandparents experienced when they got off the boat, back when the divide between Protestants and Catholics was a significant source of prejudice and discrimination.

In my experience, there's never much of a condemnation of more modern racism and white supremacy from other catholics... if anything there's tacit agreement.

I would agree with your previous posts to some degree and even the start of this one. There's been creep from other christian denominations into some Catholic communities - rejecting scientific ideas that Catholics played a role for in founding for example - but that last bit: "there's never much of a condemnation of more modern racism and white supremacy from other catholics... if anything there's tacit agreement" I am so skeptical...of course it's possible that that is your experience, but I am really skeptical of that being a fair description. I hope the Catholics on this board temper that position more than they support it.

I can't sign this and I am bit stunned that you do. Catholics being vilified by the KKK is not the same thing as being murdered and lynched, or being subject to systematic oppression and suppression by (state and federal) governments.

No, I don't believe that, and it was just sloppy typing on my phone.

There's no comparison between slavery & mass lynchings, and the abuse Catholics suffered.

The man who fired a semi-automatic weapon inside the Chabad of Poway synagogue in San Diego on Saturday froze, dropped his gun and sprinted to his car when he saw Oscar Stewart come barreling toward him, yelling so loud the priest at a neighboring church could hear.

?Get down!? Stewart yelled, according to his wife and others who were at the scene. ?You motherfucker! I?m going to kill you!?

Others who were there later told him it sounded like four or five people were shouting. He thinks maybe an angel was standing behind him and speaking through his voice. When the shooter ran, he immediately gave chase.

Stewart, 51, told The Daily Caller on Sunday he doesn?t remember any conscious thought from the moment he heard the gun shots until it was all over ? he just acted on instinct to stop the shooter and prevent him from leaving so he couldn?t hurt more people somewhere else. The Iraq combat veteran said his military training kicked in...

Interesting angle. Hopefully the next time Right-Wing rhetoric inspires some white supremacist to massacre people, there will be another Right-Wing gun nut hero there to try to stop him...

I would agree with your previous posts to some degree and even the start of this one. There's been creep from other christian denominations into some Catholic communities - rejecting scientific ideas that Catholics played a role for in founding for example - but that last bit: "there's never much of a condemnation of more modern racism and white supremacy from other catholics... if anything there's tacit agreement" I am so skeptical...of course it's possible that that is your experience, but I am really skeptical of that being a fair description. I hope the Catholics on this board temper that position more than they support it.

Like I said, that's just in my experience. In 12 years of Catholic school, I didn't learn about Anti-Catholic prejudice in America until American history late in high school. And it seemed like for most family members, classmates of mine and teachers who were more ... COnservative, the takeaway from that was not "Hey, we should fight oppression and prejudice because we used to be on the receiving end of it" instead it was "Well, of course there's no more prejudice against us; we're obviously white, and that's how it should be."

Like I said, maybe that was more meaningful in 1900-1920, but growing up in suburban Detroit and going to catholic school, there was never an awareness that "Hey, a a couple generations ago we were just as discriminated against as blacks" ...

Maybe I misinterpreted your point in post #14.

I interpreted it from it that you knew professed Catholics who nevertheless sometimes said
racist and bigoted things-I surely know I encountered that from time to time.

That doesn’t make them white supremacists-That just makes them Archie Bunker and George Jefferson.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hdEqrG-IVc

Last edited:
What's the difference between a white person who hates all other races and views them as inferior for one reason or another, and a white supremacist?

What's the difference between a white person who hates all other races and views them as inferior for one reason or another, and a white supremacist?

White supremacy is an activist ideology that embraces the views of the Ku Klux Klan and the Nazis, and white supremacists participate in organizations who hold those views.

Just being a sit on your hands and stay at home bigot isn?t the same thing.

White supremacy is an activist ideology that embraces the views of the Ku Klux Klan and the Nazis, and white supremacists participate in organizations who hold those views.

Just being a sit on your hands and stay at home bigot isn?t the same thing.

Oh, I see.

Yeah, I don't know any Catholic racists that ever got off their asses to personally join a white supremacist movement or be openly racist or harass someone.

They had the luxury of not being forced to "pick a side" in this; they could comfortably be bigots in the privacy of their own homes. Pretty sure I know which side they'd join if they had to though...

Nobody expects that of you. Ever.

MC asks for it regularly. In fact, the post you quoted was me replying to a post where he asked me for just that.

What people shouldn't expect is consistency from you. Ever.

Last edited:
Looking a little deeper into this topic I learned something I didn’t know - L. Frank Baum, who created and penned a series of children’s books involving a girl from Kansas named Dorothy and her adventures in the Magical Land of Oz, was himself a virulent white supremacist.

Worldwide persecution of Christians is escalating, however.

No, I don't believe that, and it was just sloppy typing on my phone.

There's no comparison between slavery & mass lynchings, and the abuse Catholics suffered.

Interesting angle. Hopefully the next time Right-Wing rhetoric inspires some white supremacist to massacre people, there will be another Right-Wing gun nut hero there to try to stop him...

at least you're finally acknowledging a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun. That's progress.

MC asks for it regularly. In fact, the post you quoted was me replying to a post where he asked me for just that.

What people shouldn't expect is consistency from you. Ever.

the burden of proof is on the one asserting it.

Back