Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The 2022 NFL Draft Thread

Since the 7th round is mostly irrelevant, I?ll say I?m fairly pleased with this draft.

Seems clear to me that this team is committed to the trenches, which I?m happy with. I guess LB isn?t a high priority (yet). I?ll give this a solid B.

James Houston

Strengths:
Has moments of flashing a good first step off the line of scrimmage. Attacks with heavy hands and cause the pocket to collapse with them. Very high motor player, didn?t see him give up on a play once. Has functional lateral mobility. Can be a 3-4 outside linebacker or a 4-3 defensive end, he is scheme diverse.

Weaknesses:
Although he has heavy hands, all his moves seem to stem from that initial power, needs to add more finesse to his game. Lacks a true plan of attack, does not set up offensive tackles up over the course of the game with a plethora of moves and this stems from not having a deep toolbox of pass rush moves. Does not have the ability to anchor in against the run, a nd can often get washed out of the play. Lacks ideal bend for the edge position.

I watch that and 2 things stand out.

1. Really good form tackler. Head to the side, hits with his shoulder and drives through the tackle. Wraps up really well.

2. Guys don?t seem to fall forward very often. Maybe it?s just the highlight tape, but it seems like once he wraps a ball carrier they go straight down or backwards.

Seems like a solid third day pick. Anything that gives Davis a shot at being on another team when the season starts is a good pick to me.

Last pick barring any trades:

Rd 7, Pk 237 - Chase Lucas

Pre-Draft Analysis
Lucas is a smaller corner who lines up on the outside and over the slot. He flashes the ability to get an early break on the ball and limits production after the catch in off-coverage. He allows too much separation when he's forced to open his hips in space, and he doesn't recover well when he gets caught out of position. He hasn't intercepted a pass since 2019 and gets beat at the catch point at times. -- Steve Muench

A five-year starter at Arizona State, Lucas was an inside and outside cornerback in former defensive coordinator Antonio Pierce?s scheme. His career trajectory didn?t go quite as planned after he was a Freshman All-American in 2017, but he was a solid starter for the Sun Devils and didn?t allow a touchdown as a senior captain in 2021.

Lucas stays square and balanced in his movements to seamlessly transition or drive with different types of route runners. However, he makes too many questionable decisions, biting on route fakes and taking himself out of position. Overall, Lucas has his share of discipline lapses on tape, but he is a twitchy athlete with the body control in coverage to leverage passing windows and make plays on the ball. His inside-outside versatility will help him make an NFL roster.

Dane Brugler
?
Staff Writer, NFL Draft

I really liked day 3. From the write ups I've read, people were mocking them at or above where the Lions took them, no real UDFA-type picks. All of them should provide good roster depth and, considering the holes on this team, may even have a chance to start.

2 impact guys. Probably the best defender in the draft with the best offensive player in the draft imo. Can't complain about that.

The rest of the draft we built our depth and didn't get any other day 1 starter locks. Joseph has a chance to compete but I bet we see will harris as a day 1 starter.

Hated the rd 2 pick.... again.

2 impact guys. Probably the best defender in the draft with the best offensive player in the draft imo. Can't complain about that.

The rest of the draft we built our depth and didn't get any other day 1 starter locks. Joseph has a chance to compete but I bet we see will harris as a day 1 starter.

Hated the rd 2 pick.... again.

Deshon Elliot should start, until he gets injured.

The trade up in the 1st got me thinking?When was the last time a team moved up 20 spots in the first round and didn?t give up future picks?

Love how Holmes didn?t trade any future picks.

Also nice seeing Holmes and the Lions drafting an HBCU player.

So a 4th S as a 3rd rd pick... great

Elliot and Harris are free agents next year. Harris plays in slot now too. Snaps are there for Joseph and special teams. 4 year contract. Good we can ease him in. Especially since he was a wr that converted to safety last year

Last edited:
Back