Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official Georgia vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread CF-MF'-P Edition

I was at dinner last night and somebody told me the rumors were flying again. I really doubt he goes anywhere now. Plus, he's a better fit in college. I don't think his style/personality will work over the long run with NFL players.

The skeptic in me says he's behind the rumors because after finally winning 1 big game in 7 years, he wants his pay cut back.

Edit: he was arguably more successful in the NFL at 44-19-1, 5-3 in the playoffs including a Super Bowl appearance. He has a higher win % in college but that includes games against FCS, Group of 5 the dregs of the B1G. He's 2-5 in bowl games including his time at Stanford

Last edited:
The skeptic in me says he's behind the rumors because after finally winning 1 big game in 7 years, he wants his pay cut back.

I doubt it.

Conventional wisdom - that he's solely motivated by $$$ like most coaches - has been wrong about him for pretty much his entire life... why expect to be right now?

I doubt it.

Conventional wisdom - that he's solely motivated by $$$ like most coaches - has been wrong about him for pretty much his entire life... why expect to be right now?

how is that? how many pay cuts has he taken? and how many of those weren't to save his job?

Answers: 1 and 0

Are you saying he is not at all motivated by money? Does it have to be the sole motivating factor? What if it's in his top 3?

Last edited:
I doubt it.

I don?t think he?s vying to be the most paid coach in football by any means, but I just find it hard to believe this isn?t some kind of a negotiation for a pay raise. When you have fellow coaches in your own division like bum James Franklin getting a huge raise and a pretty unproven Mel Tucker getting a huge raise, it has to drive you a bit for a pay raise, especially after finally beating OSU, winning conference, making playoff.

Considering he just donated millions in bonus money after taking the pay cut supports the theory that he is not motivated by money. As do the reports that Michigan told him that they intended to make him the highest paid coach when they were trying to hire him and he told them he didn't care about that, he'd rather have more money to pay his assistants.

It is entirely possible for a person to have their dream job, enough money to live comfortably and not insist on more.

Considering he just donated millions in bonus money after taking the pay cut supports the theory that he is not motivated by money. As do the reports that Michigan told him that they intended to make him the highest paid coach when they were trying to hire him and he told them he didn't care about that, he'd rather have more money to pay his assistants.

It is entirely possible for a person to have their dream job, enough money to live comfortably and not insist on more.

plus... it makes his rivals look bad.

I think he gets a bit of satisfaction from the chance to needle them over their "unbridled greed."

It's one thing to chase dollars when you have a family to support and are making a median/avg. middle class salary... for guys like Mel Tucker to chase millions upon millions, it looks a little pathetic. And that distinction gets even more glaring when not everyone else does it

plus... it makes his rivals look bad.

I think he gets a bit of satisfaction from the chance to needle them over their "unbridled greed."

It's one thing to chase dollars when you have a family to support and are making a median/avg. middle class salary... for guys like Mel Tucker to chase millions upon millions, it looks a little pathetic. And that distinction gets even more glaring when not everyone else does it

This is pretty funny. Harbaugh has a net worth of over $35mm - remember he got paid ~$6mm/yr, almost as much as an OSU coach for less than half the production after making millions as a college and NFL head coach. Tucker's first year as a head coach was 2019 where he was paid less than $3mm and he took the MSU job at $5.5mm when Harbaugh was still making $6mm having won nothing then taking a pay cut to save his job.

Yeah, Jim sure is making all those other coaches look selfish. If it's not him spreading rumors about the NFL, he should at least keep quiet so he can get that pay cut back before OSU puts a decent defense on the field and puts him back in his place.

Last edited:
It's not like Harbaugh is destitute, no, or living in poverty when he casts stones here.

Even after his paycut, he's still a 1%er by a lot, I think.

Although since the pandemic started and 1%ers somehow all increased their net worth by trillions, maybe Jim and his pay-cut salary don't make it anymore.

Still doesn't mean his primary motivation is money, as it apparently is for many of his peers.

But if he stays at Michigan, without negotiating a raise commiserate with his success from last year, donating his bonus money to less fortunate members of the department, will you guys come back and say "gee we were wrong?" or will you just wait a year and rehash all these allegations when Wittenberg or some other ESPN hack decides to pump the same story for clicks for yet another year?

How many times have we heard the "Harbaugh back to the NFL line?" probably more often than we realize

It's not like Harbaugh is destitute, no, or living in poverty when he casts stones here.

Even after his paycut, he's still a 1%er by a lot, I think.

Although since the pandemic started and 1%ers somehow all increased their net worth by trillions, maybe Jim and his pay-cut salary don't make it anymore.

Still doesn't mean his primary motivation is money, as it apparently is for many of his peers.

But if he stays at Michigan, without negotiating a raise commiserate with his success from last year, donating his bonus money to less fortunate members of the department, will you guys come back and say "gee we were wrong?" or will you just wait a year and rehash all these allegations when Wittenberg or some other ESPN hack decides to pump the same story for clicks for yet another year?

How many times have we heard the "Harbaugh back to the NFL line?" probably more often than we realize

You think money is not his primary motivator and it is for every other coach? And that has nothing to do with the fact that he had multi-generational wealth before signing on as uofm's coach? Money is not and never was a motivator for him?

I don't think he's done enough to renegotiate his salary this year - same with Tucker and I've said so several times. Harbaugh has won 1 game he wasn't supposed to win in 7 years and it was against the worst defense OSU has put on the field in about a decade. He shouldn't be renegotiating based on this year's performance but if he's planning to renegotiate, he'd be foolish to wait unless he's drinking the same kool-aid you are.

Last edited:
Back