Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official Georgia vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread CF-MF'-P Edition

Morning after. I'm not surprised they lost but I'm still really surprised that they got destroyed. Georgia beat the crap out Michigan from start to finish and although Michigan did not play great you have to give a lot of credit for that to Georgia.

I'm disappointed that they aren't in the championship game and while I'm not typically one to celebrate "moral victories" I can't say that this season was anything less than a huge success.

I don't think that Michigan is far from competing with Georgia or Bama, but it's abundantly clear that they are going to have to improve on both lines if they want to do so. They also can't afford to let their defensive backfield, specifically corner, get so thin. Will Johnson will certainly help, but they need to make both lines and corners a huge priority.

They have the receivers, qb and running backs to compete. I would not be surprised to see Cade transfer this off season. He played extremely well this season but the 4th quarter seemed like the coaches came to the realization that they needed to have someone with a higher ceiling to be able to compete with the elite teams. Cade is a fine QB and one hell of a leader...but he did NOT play well last night and he does not seem to have the ability to elevate the players around him the way that JJ does.

A very good season and very excited about the future of the program. Here's hoping next year they do it again and take the next step (not to mention beating MSU by 40).

Morning after. I'm not surprised they lost but I'm still really surprised that they got destroyed. Georgia beat the crap out Michigan from start to finish and although Michigan did not play great you have to give a lot of credit for that to Georgia.

I'm disappointed that they aren't in the championship game and while I'm not typically one to celebrate "moral victories" I can't say that this season was anything less than a huge success.

I don't think that Michigan is far from competing with Georgia or Bama, but it's abundantly clear that they are going to have to improve on both lines if they want to do so. They also can't afford to let their defensive backfield, specifically corner, get so thin. Will Johnson will certainly help, but they need to make both lines and corners a huge priority.

They have the receivers, qb and running backs to compete. I would not be surprised to see Cade transfer this off season. He played extremely well this season but the 4th quarter seemed like the coaches came to the realization that they needed to have someone with a higher ceiling to be able to compete with the elite teams. Cade is a fine QB and one hell of a leader...but he did NOT play well last night and he does not seem to have the ability to elevate the players around him the way that JJ does.

A very good season and very excited about the future of the program. Here's hoping next year they do it again and take the next step (not to mention beating MSU by 40).

I agree with all of that. Cade didn?t have time to play well. He was pressured all night. I?m not saying that he?s a better option than JJ, but damn man, I don?t think Tom Brady would have had a decent night under all that pressure

Ya, the line needs to be better. As much as I love everything those guys did for the program they can't continue to run 3 stars out at every position on the line. 1-2 they can get away with but they need to get their share of the 4 stars and the occasional 5 star would just be gravy.

I don't put this loss on Cade. I'm just saying that his limitations didn't give the team a chance. I'm not suggesting that they would have won playing JJ, either. I don't think that's the case. Just think going forward he gives them the better chance.

I hope Cade stays. You guys are cray if you think JJ will last all season taking hits like he did last night. Having Cade stick around will give us a insurance policy just in case.

Game planing hurt last night. How many times did Gattis try that halfback swing pass before he knew or wasn?t working and to call that again on 4th down in the red zone was just dumb.Gattis reverted to bad red zone Gattis last night.

Last edited:
It was a simple game plan for Georgia defense. Crowd the LOS, stop the run and short passing game. They played man and left their depleted young secondary on islands.... and we made them pay once lol. Terribly called game by gattis who never made them adjust out of it.

It was a simple game plan for Georgia defense. Crowd the LOS, stop the run and short passing game. They played man and left their depleted young secondary on islands.... and we made them pay once lol. Terribly called game by gattis who never made them adjust out of it.

The short passes would've worked, but you have to have some sort of motion and roll outs to make it work against a defense blitzing all day. Bama made Georgia chase their receivers and backs. Young would leave the pocket to negate the rush either sideline to sideline or he took off for a big 1st down. It tired those fuckers out and Bama would hit them with a huge gainer. Michigan did none of that. Georgia's defense just followed everyone to the spot they knew they were going to and never had to chase down anyone. Better scheming makes that game a game.

A couple plays (I'm thinking of the WR end around for one) that we used to good effect all year got blown up by Georgia.

They seemed to either know what was coming, or they are just so insanely fast, they could recover from misdirection plays like that without losing a step.

The issue is and I appreciate Cade for what he is but? Georgia was too big for him. They brought the house and Cade cant throw over it, or escape it. He looked too small often times last night. Not the complete reason we lost though. Michigan made so many unforced errors. It looked lionesque.

I agree with what others are saying in that Georgia just seemed far better prepared for the game. We never caught them off guard with anything we were running, and even on the first drive of the game I was shocked how Bowers caught a wide open TD pass (don't we know he's insanely good?). An edge in talent alone should not account for how badly we got destroyed as an entire team. They were ready for us and we were not ready for them end of story.

I dunno it is of course disappointing but I am happy with the season as a whole. Two enormous monkeys are finally off our collective backs in OSU and Big Ten Title, so hopefully they can focus on making that more the normal state of affairs rather than an outlier moving forward.

A couple plays (I'm thinking of the WR end around for one) that we used to good effect all year got blown up by Georgia.

They seemed to either know what was coming, or they are just so insanely fast, they could recover from misdirection plays like that without losing a step.

Nakobe Dean is a monster. That must be how all those teams that had to face Devin Bush felt.

I think it's probably a mix of the things you mentioned as well as our offensive line was not talented enough to face that front 7. Not many are, but that team has all world talent and our offensive line talent just isn't there due in large part to missing on so many of the guys they recruited. A porous offensive line combined with an immobile QB is a recipe for disaster and that's how it played out. It didn't help that when there were plays there to be made our guys didn't execute.

I saw a picture somewhere of JJ, Andrel and Donovan watching the trophy presentation after the game. I hope they're pissed because those 3 are going to have to be a huge part of the solution if Michigan is going to take the next step.

One other thing that I did not expect this group to be susceptible to but it very likely may be the case is that they got a big head. I thought they were a focused group and that the leaders wouldn't allow that to slip, but they did not look at all dialed in last night.

Nakobe Dean is a monster. That must be how all those teams that had to face Devin Bush felt.

I think it's probably a mix of the things you mentioned as well as our offensive line was not talented enough to face that front 7. Not many are, but that team has all world talent and our offensive line talent just isn't there due in large part to missing on so many of the guys they recruited. A porous offensive line combined with an immobile QB is a recipe for disaster and that's how it played out. It didn't help that when there were plays there to be made our guys didn't execute.

I saw a picture somewhere of JJ, Andrel and Donovan watching the trophy presentation after the game. I hope they're pissed because those 3 are going to have to be a huge part of the solution if Michigan is going to take the next step.

One other thing that I did not expect this group to be susceptible to but it very likely may be the case is that they got a big head. I thought they were a focused group and that the leaders wouldn't allow that to slip, but they did not look at all dialed in last night.

Super bright future on the offensive side with jj, edwards and andrel. Obviously really concerned about the defense next year. You simply don't replace the production of Hutch and ojabo.

I'm sure Ojabo will leave but I would be curious to see what the last few games did for his draft stock. He had a pretty quiet game against Iowa and didn't record a tackle against Georgia. He's definitely not a polished player but do you roll the dice if you're projected in the 25-30 range and come back to try to get into the top 10?

It will be interesting to see what happens with the attrition this year. Hutchinson will be tough to replace but with the talent they signed in the secondary you may be able to offset his loss with better coverage.

The defense was solid all year. Lost in the overall shittiness of last night is the fact that the defense only allowed 7 points in the second half. I think people need to accept that they are fine ceding yardage as long as they aren't giving up points (NFL formula for success). Offensive line is a bigger concern for me than anything. I'll miss Haskins but the offense is loaded at the skill positions and very little attrition expected there.

Ojabo only played 26 snaps against Georgia. Nothing would have made a difference, but it was an odd choice to barely play him.

Ojabo only played 26 snaps against Georgia. Nothing would have made a difference, but it was an odd choice to barely play him.

Iirc he had a limited role against Iowa as well. He did develop a lot but is still a project, which is why I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he came back. I've seen some mock drafts with him going top 10 and others with him dropping to the 2nd round. I wouldn't blame him for leaving but a case can definitely be made for him to come back. Time will tell.

Offensive line is a bigger concern for me than anything. I'll miss Haskins but the offense is loaded at the skill positions and very little attrition expected there.

We have a Rimington finalist arriving to take Vastardis' spot, the most important spot to replace. We could be better next year, if the guys gel like this year. They've got 4 games to get it rolling to start the year before we go to Kinnick, which hasn't been kind to us.

Last edited:
Well Ojabo is gone so that question is answered. I didn't realize that he was not eligible for NIL due to being an international student. My assumption there is he is on a student visa and not eligible to work? Oh well, best of luck to the young man!

Back