Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official Nebraska vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread

Yeah, PSU is clearly NOT ass. They should have won and would've if their QB doesnt go down. He'll be back for us, though.

Iowa is ass though. That whole game was inept offenses making decent defenses look good. Plus Clifford had thrown 2 ints before he went down. Not sure why anyone thinks he's anything special.

Last edited:
Iowa is ass though. That whole game was inept offenses making decent defenses look good. Plus Clifford had thrown 2 ints before he went down. Not sure why anyone thinks he's anything special.

Iowa doesnt scare me, teams that can use read read option do. The Michigan defense clearly lacks any vision for the ball during the read. Always tackling the wrong guy. I dont get it.

Iowa doesnt scare me, teams that can use read read option do. The Michigan defense clearly lacks any vision for the ball during the read. Always tackling the wrong guy. I dont get it.

It wasn't the option runs that hurt the defense last night, it was the play action passes off of that look. Most of the runs last night were 2-3 yard gains and they only had a couple where they truly caught Michigan with their pants down. I do agree that the youth on defense is susceptible to being overly aggressive and they'll get burned by it several more times this year.

Cade was right about one thing last night. Previous Michigan teams lose that game.

It wasn't the option runs that hurt the defense last night, it was the play action passes off of that look. Most of the runs last night were 2-3 yard gains and they only had a couple where they truly caught Michigan with their pants down. I do agree that the youth on defense is susceptible to being overly aggressive and they'll get burned by it several more times this year.

Cade was right about one thing last night. Previous Michigan teams lose that game.

I think it's a good sign the defense is getting better each week, especially the secondary.

After that Washington game, I figured everyone would throw for 300+ yards against us, but they've tightened up a lot. And on obvious passing downs, they seem able to cover when they need to.

Nebraska didn't beat us physically or by running routes better, or anything like that. Their best plays came on misdirection, fakes, and scrambling by Martinez.

That's pretty good for a squad that had 9 unheralded guys + Dax Hill and Aidan Hutchinson.

And the offense... man, I was worried after Nebraska took the lead twice, but we responded each time.

I know I've made fun of the phrase "gut check win" before... but that was an actual gut check win. I think.

Looking back, while I absolutely hold Macdonald accountable for not putting a spy on Martinez who would knock him out of the idea of running, I will say this:

The last drive he did not use Prevent. He mixed things up, blitzed, showed blitz then dropped, delayed corner blitz, and other things that made it difficult for Martinez. That first throw had me worried, but the D stayed aggressively disguised.

I think it's a good sign the defense is getting better each week, especially the secondary.

After that Washington game, I figured everyone would throw for 300+ yards against us, but they've tightened up a lot. And on obvious passing downs, they seem able to cover when they need to.

Nebraska didn't beat us physically or by running routes better, or anything like that. Their best plays came on misdirection, fakes, and scrambling by Martinez.

That's pretty good for a squad that had 9 unheralded guys + Dax Hill and Aidan Hutchinson.

And the offense... man, I was worried after Nebraska took the lead twice, but we responded each time.

I know I've made fun of the phrase "gut check win" before... but that was an actual gut check win. I think.

The offense was able to move the ball with consistency, especially when they handed the ball to Highlight Haskins on first down. He was able to pick up at least 5-6 yards each time giving the offense short yardage to make the 1st down. The game came down to who was going to score last and it turned out to be Michigan thanks to the strip, and the tough defense on the final Nebraska possession to end the game. And yeah, I think gut check is an apt description for this game.

Last edited:
Better teams will figure out how to control our run game. I love haskins but we have to have other weapons

We need balance

Better teams will figure out how to control our run game. I love haskins but we have to have other weapons

We need balance

They are obviously not deep enough at WR, which is why the Wilson injury seemed to be a factor in the passing game not being as good as it could be. Other WRs were stepping in, but we all know it takes weeks for receivers and QBs to get in sync. Hopefully everyone continues improving by the time they play MSU.

It wasn't the option runs that hurt the defense last night, it was the play action passes off of that look.

Here is the thing, those plays worked, because the read and triple option were working in the 2nd half( Nebraska's 2nd and 4th TDs). You are totally correct in your assessment, but Nebraska had 6yds a carry for 105 yds in the 2nd half. They also had 14 1st downs in the 2nd half. If the defense does not know where the ball is, they lose sight of everything. You have corners who shouldn't be crashing because the linebackers and lineman miss their assignments during the read. Now you got the corners out of position and somebody wide open.

Every team has trouble with the read option, but we had huge trouble against fucking Rutgers and again in the 2nd half yesterday. If we end up losing to MSU, that Penn St. game will be fucking crucial to have any chance at a conference championship. Clifford will be back for that game and he is real good at it. They need to figure it out. I just don't think Nebraska is as good as everyone else thinks. I hope I'm wrong, but the offense(UM) left a lot of points on the table.

Funny, I'm thinking Nebraska beats OSU this year. They are a better team than their record, it is their own mistakes that have been beating them in many ways. They were fired up to beat UM, I'm thinking they will piece it all together and get their signature win vs O$U.

Apparently Martinez and Frost both made comments about how they thought forward progress was stopped on the fumble. They didn't come right out and say it was the wrong call but they may as well have. What a bunch of bums.

Apparently Martinez and Frost both made comments about how they thought forward progress was stopped on the fumble. They didn't come right out and say it was the wrong call but they may as well have. What a bunch of bums.

It almost looks that way in slow-mo, which every replay on television was playing. But from the ball side angle in real time, Martinez was chugging his legs and the pile was still moving. What is funny is if it was 4th down and he was 1 yd away from the 1st down, and refs blew the whistle, they would have cried they blew the whistle too soon without giving him enough time to fall forward for the 1st.

Lol, fuck'em!!

I saw that yesterday. Martinez said he wasn't making excuses, then made excuses in his next sentence.

Frost's comments (initially at least?) were more like "I don't know if he was down or not, but we needed to make more plays" which I assumed he was saying because he heard Martinez whining, and didn't want to call his player out like that, saying he wasn't down. Did Frost later say something else?

I re-watched the video on MGoBlue, and there's NO WAY that should've been blown dead. and yeah I agree if it had been blown dead, Nebraska would've been complaining about it. Martinez was pushing the pile forward and moving his legs when Hawkins punched the ball out . Can't have your cake and eat it too

100% the refs should not blow that play dead there as the pile is still moving and if I moves forward another couple yards then Nevraska is happy. Or if Martinez escapes the mass and runs around for a TD. Any number of things could still happen in that moment and people who pay attention to football now that.

Anyone spouting it should have been blown dead is wrong. In fairness, I'm not aware of many Nebraska fans posting or otherwise proclaiming the play should have been own dead. Maybe they know football better than the QB and coach???

Back