Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official PennSt vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread

Felt like the pass rush died down a bit at the end. Hutch and Ojabo were probably exhausted, they both played their asses off.

This team has won in some very tough environments, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and now PSU. Deserve a lot of credit for that. I don't think anyone expected this to be a blowout. Come win was nice. On to Maryland. I'm glad they get OSU at home this year.

I don't expect Michigan to beat OSU in 2 weeks but this is definitely the least intimidating version of OSU I can recall seeing in about 5 years. They're very beatable but it's going to take a hell of a lot better performance from Cade than we've seen thus far.

In fairness to Cade, he threw 3 TD passes today, and both of the ones to Wilson were really great throws. All's TD was obviously a combination of good design and breakdown in coverage by PSU.

In defense of Gattis, I am glad UM is FINALLY using crossing patterns to defeat coverages the way OSU has done against UM in the past.

Yes, they need to get better, but those 2 elements were very important in getting the win today.

In fairness to Cade, he threw 3 TD passes today, and both of the ones to Wilson were really great throws. All's TD was obviously a combination of good design and breakdown in coverage by PSU.

In defense of Gattis, I am glad UM is FINALLY using crossing patterns to defeat coverages the way OSU has done against UM in the past.

Yes, they need to get better, but those 2 elements were very important in getting the win today.

The 2nd one was luck. I'm pretty sure Wilson ran the wrong route. It was suppose to go to Johnson. Wilson actually ran a couple of wrong routes today. He was being talked to on the sideline by Harbaugh on a another throw that he should of peeled off on. He'll learn, this is his 1st year starting.

PSU was #23 in the AP.

Everyone has been calling them unranked all week. They must not look at the AP poll. There was no number by PSU on the television screen.

Also, I don't think it counts as a ranked win because PSU is not ranked in the college football playoff, so most won't acknowledge it. I'll acknowledge is was a great win against a good team and it should be noticed and keep Michigan where they are in the playoff currently.

Last edited:
If we get great pressure and sacks against OSU, which I expect, you cannot give up the 17-20yd play on the next snap. There is nothing more deflating or tiring for a defense.

The 2nd one was luck. I'm pretty sure Wilson ran the wrong route. It was suppose to go to Johnson. Wilson actually ran a couple of wrong routes today. He was being talked to on the sideline by Harbaugh on a another throw that he should of peeled off on. He'll learn, this is his 1st year starting.

Luck has a degree of element in every play. How many plays did luck favor PSU? How many times has luck favored MSU???

He still threw it through a tight window and hit his WR in the hands in stride. Whether the WR ran the wrong route, I am not to judge. Sometimes players screw up in bad ways, sometimes the screw up works in their favor. I do not think Cade was throwing to Johnson on that play as he is not that inaccurate at that range and he hit Wilson perfectly... so there was as much skill involved if not more skill compared to luck.

The TD to All was a 5 yard pass. I only watched half of the game and I saw several throws he missed. The one where Haskins had to go to a knee to catch is one that comes to mind because it's been a common problem for him all year. If that ball is chest high Haskins gets the first down and more.

If you want to get a better idea watch Devin Gardner's Monday Morning QB segments on YouTube. He has the all 22 video and breaks down everything. Not just the limited shit the TV broadcast shows, but missed reads as well.

3 TDs sound great and all, but everyone here is bitching about how the coaches are idiots and that's just not the case in most of the situations this season. The MSU game is a perfect example. Everyone sees a ton of yards and TDs and thinks that Cade played amazing and that's not really true. He missed a lot of reads that cost the team a lot of yards and points in a game where they couldn't afford it.

The TD to All was a 5 yard pass. I only watched half of the game and I saw several throws he missed. The one where Haskins had to go to a knee to catch is one that comes to mind because it's been a common problem for him all year. If that ball is chest high Haskins gets the first down and more.

If you want to get a better idea watch Devin Gardner's Monday Morning QB segments on YouTube. He has the all 22 video and breaks down everything. Not just the limited shit the TV broadcast shows, but missed reads as well.

3 TDs sound great and all, but everyone here is bitching about how the coaches are idiots and that's just not the case in most of the situations this season. The MSU game is a perfect example. Everyone sees a ton of yards and TDs and thinks that Cade played amazing and that's not really true. He missed a lot of reads that cost the team a lot of yards and points in a game where they couldn't afford it.

I'm sorry, I missed where DG was the greatest QB of all time when he was the one on the field having to make those split second decisions. His Monday Morning QB routine is great for explaining the perfect QB play to make, but to expect a QB to be perfect is ridiculous.

The other option is JJ, who has talent but is wild and not always making the best decisions, as evidenced by his numerous turnovers. You are not seriously blaming Cade for JJ's fumble vs MSU, are you???

While Cade fumbled vs PSU, and it was indeed a costly mistake, he also made the correct choice in throwing to All and making a great throw to hit him in stride so he could take it to the house.

No one is claiming Cade is a superstar, but he is solid, and only a fool would imply otherwise. JJ needs to learn how to improve his game by watching Cade. A QB does not need to throw a TD every play, take what is available.

Yes, the pass to Haskins was low. Yes Cade is not perfect. News flash, no QB is... not even TB12. Remember how Lloyd had Henson play the 2nd half instead of TB12? How many wanted Henson to just start the entire game. Hindsight is that TB12 should probably have played the entire game. Henson proved himself to be a talented hack.

JJ is hopefully learning not only from Cade, but from that TB12 / Henson history. Seems some fans need to revisit that as well and rethink about the way Cade is playing.

Additionally, Cade is far more like the last QB to win a NC than JJ is. So yes, give me the QB who is more like Griese and TB12 all day, every day.

None of that is to say Cade is without fault.

PSU was #23 in the AP.

Big10 network is calling it a ranked win. So Michamp went 4-4. To further, the Playoff Committee does NOT consider anyone else's rankings, but their own. AP and Coaches Polls are not considered in their criteria for their rankings. So basically, for media sake, it's a ranked win. For Playoff consideration, it is not.

Big10 network is calling it a ranked win. So Michamp went 4-4. To further, the Playoff Committee does NOT consider anyone else's rankings, but their own. AP and Coaches Polls are not considered in their criteria for their rankings. So basically, for media sake, it's a ranked win. For Playoff consideration, it is not.

Yeah, I get it.

It ain?t the most specifical of qualitative criteria in existence.

It never really was.

I'm sorry, I missed where DG was the greatest QB of all time when he was the one on the field having to make those split second decisions. His Monday Morning QB routine is great for explaining the perfect QB play to make, but to expect a QB to be perfect is ridiculous.

The other option is JJ, who has talent but is wild and not always making the best decisions, as evidenced by his numerous turnovers. You are not seriously blaming Cade for JJ's fumble vs MSU, are you???

While Cade fumbled vs PSU, and it was indeed a costly mistake, he also made the correct choice in throwing to All and making a great throw to hit him in stride so he could take it to the house.

No one is claiming Cade is a superstar, but he is solid, and only a fool would imply otherwise. JJ needs to learn how to improve his game by watching Cade. A QB does not need to throw a TD every play, take what is available.

Yes, the pass to Haskins was low. Yes Cade is not perfect. News flash, no QB is... not even TB12. Remember how Lloyd had Henson play the 2nd half instead of TB12? How many wanted Henson to just start the entire game. Hindsight is that TB12 should probably have played the entire game. Henson proved himself to be a talented hack.

JJ is hopefully learning not only from Cade, but from that TB12 / Henson history. Seems some fans need to revisit that as well and rethink about the way Cade is playing.

Additionally, Cade is far more like the last QB to win a NC than JJ is. So yes, give me the QB who is more like Griese and TB12 all day, every day.

Where are you coming up with this shit? Did I blame Cade for the fumble? Did I say it was entirely his fault? Corum dropped a TD, the defense shit the bed, the tackling was terrible, Moten dropped an interception. There was plenty of blame to go around but people saying it's playcalling and that Cade was amazing are wrong. He's playing okay, he's not playing well enough to beat OSU, he didn't play well enough to beat MSU, people were on playcalling yesterday and the point remains...IT WASN'T PLAYCALLING. It was shitty execution from an average QB.

I didn't say DG was perfect. DG didn't say he was perfect. I do know he coaches QBs, played the position and that the points he's making are the same points being made by Harbaugh, Gattis and even Cade himself. He's missing open reads, his deep ball accuracy is bad, he missed open receivers and he had several throws where his placement prevented the receiver from gaining additional yards after the catch.

But go ahead. Keep blaming Gattis, bitching about playcalling etc when the plays he's calling are getting open receivers and the QB is missing them over and over and over again. Cade doesn't need to be perfect, he needs to be better. If he is better they're undefeated and just beat PSU by 20.

Even the fumble by Cade wasn't his fault really. The lineman wiffed on his block and the Cade was hit from behind. That kind of poor blocking is going to get your QB killed. I'm not surprised he fumbled the ball with that hit.

Entire team has to play better, on both sides of the ball. On the drive by PSU to tie the game the D gave up 3 4th downs and the 2pt conversion. No excuse for that. D also gave up several long 3rd downs that were ridiculous breakdowns. But they also got sacks and pressured the QB all game. Cade needs to play better, but a couple of the TD passes were ropes. He has completed some long passes, but it needs to be faced that it is not his best skill. The short passing is more in his and this offenses wheel house. Nothing wrong with that. You can have sustained drives and score with a combination of short passes and runs. Have to avoid stupid penalties though. Those kill drives. Especially with the running backs on this team. Offensive line needs to block better, especially on passing plays. But the offense scored in the redzone in this game, which has been an issue. The only guy I have no issue with is Haskins. He has stepped up and carried the full load with Corum out. He had his second 150 yard+ game yesterday. He gets positive yards where most backs would lose yards. He keeps driving forward getting 5, 10, 15 additional yards, with the help of the rest of the offense pushing the scrum forward, where most backs would have been stopped with a gain of a couple of yards. If he drops an occasional pass, I can forgive him that. Haskins is the best back Michigan has had in a long time. I hope he goes off on OSU like Biakabutuka did in '95.

Where are you coming up with this shit? Did I blame Cade for the fumble? Did I say it was entirely his fault? Corum dropped a TD, the defense shit the bed, the tackling was terrible, Moten dropped an interception. There was plenty of blame to go around but people saying it's playcalling and that Cade was amazing are wrong. He's playing okay, he's not playing well enough to beat OSU, he didn't play well enough to beat MSU, people were on playcalling yesterday and the point remains...IT WASN'T PLAYCALLING. It was shitty execution from an average QB.

I didn't say DG was perfect. DG didn't say he was perfect. I do know he coaches QBs, played the position and that the points he's making are the same points being made by Harbaugh, Gattis and even Cade himself. He's missing open reads, his deep ball accuracy is bad, he missed open receivers and he had several throws where his placement prevented the receiver from gaining additional yards after the catch.

But go ahead. Keep blaming Gattis, bitching about playcalling etc when the plays he's calling are getting open receivers and the QB is missing them over and over and over again. Cade doesn't need to be perfect, he needs to be better. If he is better they're undefeated and just beat PSU by 20.

You are hyperfocused on blaming Cade, it is ALL you bitch about and I'm calling you out on it. You keep bitching about Cade, yet fail to credit him when he has played well enough to win EVERY game this year. MSU was far more about the D collapse and JJ's fumble, yet you nitch about Cade and blame him for the loss because he was not perfect. That's fucking bullshit that deserves being called out.

No one expects UM to beat OSU this year, regardless of the QB. JJ is still way to immature and reckless to beat them.

Maybe UM plays well enough to bear OSU, but it will absolutely have to be a TEAM effort, everyone helping to overcome inevitable mistakes made by teammates and capitalizing on any OSU mistakes.

Cade choosing to throw to All was him capitalizing on a mistake by PSU. This was after the D helped cover for Cade's mistake in fumbling when blindsided. Of course those fumbles on those hits are frequent, he still needed to hold onto the ball. Still, the D stepped up to minimize the mistake. Afterwards Haskins, Cade, and All worked together with the rest of the O to get the go ahead TD and then the D finished the job.

That is what will be needed vs OSU. They might beat OSU if they can manage to do those types of things. I still do not expect it, but I am hopeful. If JK starts vs OSU, I am less hopeful. Why? Because JK will make MORE mistakes than Cade, and OSU has feasted on UM mistakes for years. To beat OSU, you have to minimize mistakes, and that is what Cade offers.

You don't want to see that because you are blinded by hate. You place a massive amount of blame on Cade for the MSU loss. Yet, you didn't even pick up on a simple fact from the PSU game...JJ didn't play a single snap. Why??? Could it be he is in the dog house and JH didn't want to risk JJ costing the team another important and close game. And they were right in making that decision. You can keep getting your panties all twisted in knots, bit unless Cade is injured or is completely unable to move the offense, do not expect JJ to play vs OSU.

You're still missing the entire point. I don't hate Cade and pointing out his mistakes is to make the point of how utterly idiotic it is for people to bitch about coaches and play calling ALL THE TIME. The plays being called in the passing game are giving the team opportunities to move the ball, get first downs and score touchdowns. I've been complimentary of Cade plenty. Just because he has 3 TDs does not make him any less responsible for the shitty plays he has on a weekly basis.

And for the record, I never suggested that JJ should be playing over Cade. I said that Cade needs to play better. So you're arguing with yourself on that point.

I think we are who we are at this point, and so is OSU. Barring significant injuries next weekend, neither team is going to grow or improve much in the next two weeks.

We can beat them, but need to play a perfect game.

for whatever reason, They generally play their best game of the season against us, going back to 2001... so we need to overcome that.

Maybe MSU will do us a solid, and beat the tar out of OSU in a losing effort. I don't care about "beating them when they're 100%"... we just need to beat them.

I won't feel bad about it. They've gotten more than their fair share of breaks in this rivalry, since 2001, when they more or less made this football game the reason for their entire existence on Earth.

Back