Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official Washington vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION

This season was illuminating in that the result showed a bit how much good coaching can achieve, above talent.

Of course, you can't win with good coaching alone, but can overcome talent disparities. I think with the talent and experience we had in place + coaching advantage, we could beat any team in the country, but only Alabama and Georgia made me nervous.

Washington could not have beaten Georgia or Alabama, and I don't think Texas could have done that again. Especially at this point in the season given how beat up they were.

I'm still not convinced DeBoer is a legit coach... he has a lot to prove. He wasn't beating any experienced coaches in the Pac-12, and they really just chuck the ball around a lot and he had a QB with a short memory who could do that. We'll see how Washington reloads without Penix next year

Tough schedule next season, Texas-Washington-USC-Oregon plus normal OSU.

This season was illuminating in that the result showed a bit how much good coaching can achieve, above talent.

Of course, you can't win with good coaching alone, but can overcome talent disparities. I think with the talent and experience we had in place + coaching advantage, we could beat any team in the country, but only Alabama and Georgia made me nervous.

Washington could not have beaten Georgia or Alabama, and I don't think Texas could have done that again. Especially at this point in the season given how beat up they were.

I'm still not convinced DeBoer is a legit coach... he has a lot to prove. He wasn't beating any experienced coaches in the Pac-12, and they really just chuck the ball around a lot and he had a QB with a short memory who could do that. We'll see how Washington reloads without Penix next year

I think you are under rating the talent on the UM squad. I think they have the best OL / DL combo in the country. Combine that with the experience level on both lins...that's where championships are won.

I think you are under rating the talent on the UM squad. I think they have the best OL / DL combo in the country. Combine that with the experience level on both lins...that's where championships are won.

I think I posted the article at the start of this thread. We were 14th in the country based on recruiting rankings on the team... and (more notably) the first team outside the Top 10 to win it, and all the prior winners but one were in the top 6.

only two 5-stars on the roster, neither were on the lines.

so it was exceptional. But yeah, I think the experience combined with the talent we had made a difference this year.

I think I posted the article at the start of this thread. We were 14th in the country based on recruiting rankings on the team... and (more notably) the first team outside the Top 10 to win it, and all the prior winners but one were in the top 6.

so it was exceptional. But yeah, I think the experience combined with the talent we had made a difference this year.

I think the leadership on the team was also critical. You can have lots of talent (as Michigan has had in past seasons) but without the leadership to establish a culture of brotherhood (for lack of a better term) you will only get so far. Team 144 had the leadership that established a culture on and off the field that built the confidence needed to win.

So better recruiting. Michigan seems to find the guys that fit their system. They have had fewer drama queens on the teams and guys that buy into the team. I think that makes the difference.

The margin between a 3 star and a 5 star isn't that great, imo. Just more 3 stars to not pan out to water down the pool a bit, to make it seem like the difference is huge. All those stars are hanging on HS kids that have the maturity level of a puppy. It's when they get into a program and how they are developed that makes the difference. UM is a prime example of that this year, actually the last few years.

So besides our top RB and QB who are we losing of significance?

Sainristil, Zinter, Keegan, Colson, Kris Jenkins, Jaylen Harrell, Michael Barrett, and LaDarius Henderson.

Braiden McGregor, AJ Barner and Roman Wilson have accepted invites to the Senior Bowl but could opt to return.

Last edited:
Sainristil, Zinter, Keegan, Colson, Kris Jenkins, Jaylen Harrell, Michael Barrett, and LaDarius Henderson.

Braiden McGregor, AJ Barner and Roman Wilson have accepted invites to the Senior Bowl but could opt to return.

Wow that's a lot of guys. Thanks.

Sounds like JJ is going to declare for the draft tomorrow. Said something to the effect of "I'll share my decision tomorrow but no matter what it is just know I love Michigan". He gone.

I don't know what JJ has left to do as a Michigan quarterback. Unless he thinks that repeating as a national champion is something he should aspire to. I say let his legacy live and move on to the professional ranks. That's what I would do, were I his position.

I don't know what JJ has left to do as a Michigan quarterback. Unless he thinks that repeating as a national champion is something he should aspire to. I say let his legacy live and move on to the professional ranks. That's what I would do, were I his position.

only thing I could think of is that he didn't get much positive press as the season went on, and might not be drafted highly because of that.

It's bullshit, I'm not agreeing with it, but with Corum gone, he could have a season where we have to throw more.

If he's already a projected 1st round pick, then ignore all this, and I agree. But I hope he stays. We'll be a better team next year with him, instead of breaking in a QB transfer, hoping one of the the bench guys can step up, or that Davis is able to start immediately

Back