Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official Washington vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION

I don't think he is a "first round talent" but most sites project him as a late first round pick. I think this could be good for his NFL outlook. Going in the top of the first usually means you are going to a terrible team. If he gets drafted later in the first, he is more than likely going to a team with a good foundation, and possibly to be groomed to be the QB of the future.

I suspect he goes in the 2nd. Not sure how many teams need QB though.

So according to ESPN he's the 5th best QB in the draft and 22nd best player overall.

Not sure if he's better than the kid from LSU who won the Heisman, but I'd rather have McCarthy QB'ing my team than Milroe or Penix. Who else do they have ahead of him?

From CBS, regarding our QB situation for next year:
The Wolverines signed four-star freshman Jadyn Davis in the Class of 2024. But the prospect of starting a true freshman is not ideal. Jayden Denegal also just concluded his sophomore season with the Wolverines after ranking as a three-star prospect in the Class of 2022. He completed 4 of 5 passes for 50 yards with a touchdown in reserve duty this season.

There's more experience likely returning at running back. Donovan Edwards has had some setbacks, but as he just showed in the national championship, can be a home-run threat with 104 yards and two touchdowns on just six touches.
Alex Orji just wrapped up his sophomore season with the program after ranking as a three-star prospect in the Class of 2022. Michigan used Orji in a run-oriented package in 2023 -- including in the national title game -- and he accumulated 86 yards rushing on 15 carries for the season. He has not attempted a pass in college football.
That last part is not true; according to MGoBlue.com Orji is 1-for-1 passing for 5 yards (that was in 2022). But still...

Orji-QB, Edwards-RB running the RichRod offense in 2024...? LOL.

I think we'll either bring in a transfer or it will be Denegal or Davis in teh fall.

So according to ESPN he's the 5th best QB in the draft and 22nd best player overall.

Not sure if he's better than the kid from LSU who won the Heisman, but I'd rather have McCarthy QB'ing my team than Milroe or Penix. Who else do they have ahead of him?

PFF has him 6th

Williams
Maye
Daniels LSU
Bo Mix
Penix (I disagree with this)
JJ

Of course, PFF also had Bryce Young #1 last year

Last edited:
Team 144 was a great team. The greatest Michigan team in a long time. But time marches on. Next man up! GO BLUE! I hope team 145 can keep the winning streak going.

Right move for JJ. His NFL stock will be highest now and can only go down imo.

Tough schedule next year. Get that oline solidified and run the rock.

Josaiah Stewart and Donovan Edwards coming back!!!!

I liked Edwards' announcement.

Now we just need Jim to confirm he's staying...

I think we'll be a good team, but I don't know if we'll make the playoffs. With a new QB, it's tough to see us doing any better than 10-2 in the regular season. That keeps us out of the Big Ten championship. Then we make a "let down bowl" unless we squeak into the playoffs, and go 10-3 or maybe 11-2 at best.

It'll seem like an even bigger drop off from 15-0...

Our 1st 5 games are at home:

Fresno St
Texas
Ark St
USC
Minnesota
@Washington
@Illinois
MSU
Oregon
@IU
Northwestern
@OSU

I could easily see an actual GOOD team lose 3 games there, maybe 4. Especially coming off a Championship and being due a letdown.

Are Michigan fans going to be able to handle that? Should we preemptively declare all our players bad, say we need to improve recruiting, and fire coaches?

I liked Edwards' announcement.

Now we just need Jim to confirm he's staying...

I think we'll be a good team, but I don't know if we'll make the playoffs. With a new QB, it's tough to see us doing any better than 10-2 in the regular season. That keeps us out of the Big Ten championship. Then we make a "let down bowl" unless we squeak into the playoffs, and go 10-3 or maybe 11-2 at best.

It'll seem like an even bigger drop off from 15-0...

2 losses, with our schedule, will probably still get us in.

2 losses, with our schedule, will probably still get us in.

You may be right. I think a few two loss teams would've gotten in this year with the expanded format.

I'm thinking we lose three though. But I hate to think of losing to some of the teams on that list.

Losing at Washington... sure. But they may not be very good next year.

Losing to OSU would always suck, but since we just went 3-0 against them, a loss in Ohio wouldn't feel so bad.

Losing to USC OR OREGON... ugh. We owe both those teams payback, but Oregon moreso. It really sucks that we haven't been able to play them the last couple years... and now we face them again in a rebuild year, and maybe with a 1st year coach (if the haters are right)

Losing to MSU would be really irritating as would a loss to Texas. Losing to anyone else... hard to imagine now, but a lot could change by next season

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard on XM radio to day that JH was meeting with the Chargers today. Is he leaving or leveraging for a even bigger raise?

I heard on XM radio to day that JH was meeting with the Chargers today. Is he leaving or leveraging for a even bigger raise?

I dunno. I can't read this article without insider Free Press access, but the click bait headline makes me want to:

INSIDER:Warde Manuel is dealing with the cost of Jim Harbaugh's success and it's not easy

I have a hard time thinking Harbaugh is more about money here, given his history. I mean he took a paycut to stay, he's already rich, and he doesn't seem to be a guy wrapped up in maintaining status symbols or one-upping other dumb rich guys. He mows his own lawn. And even as an NFL head coach he still bought off-the-rack khakis from Walmart.

My gut feeling is when other fans or coaches talk trash about him and claim he's trying to leverage a better deal, they're just projecting their own failings on him.

I think Warde Manuel is the problem.

If we lose Harbaugh, after losing Beilein, especially if we don't land good hires in basketball after this season OR (if necessary...) to replace Harbaugh... Manuel needs to go.

Losing Harbaugh would absolutely suck. That would be a disaster... a calamity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno. I can't read this article without insider Free Press access, but the click bait headline makes me want to:

INSIDER:Warde Manuel is dealing with the cost of Jim Harbaugh's success and it's not easy

I have a hard time thinking Harbaugh is more about money here, given his history. I mean he took a paycut to stay, he's already rich, and he doesn't seem to be a guy wrapped up in maintaining status symbols or one-upping other dumb rich guys. He mows his own lawn. And even as an NFL head coach he still bought off-the-rack khakis from Walmart.

My gut feeling is when other fans or coaches talk trash about him and claim he's trying to leverage a better deal, they're just projecting their own failings on him.

I have no idea what other people think...I think leveraging a situation into more money is a good idea. I know rich people that mow their own lawn, it doesn't mean they still don't like even more money. :)

I think he is leaving. He got his natty and got UM back on top. My guess is the competitor in him feels like he has some unfinished business in the NFL. I would imagine that the Cowboys would give him any amount of money he wants to take over that shit show.

I think he has more connections to UM than people realize, and he grew up in Ann Arbor, and has been raising his own family there.

Bo famously turned down a truckload of money from Texas A&M to stay at Michigan: "some things in life are more important than money." The $1MM salary would have (at the time) made Bo the highest paid coach in college football.

So it would not surprise me to see Jim stay.

I think he's been around the block enough to know you're always going to have a boss, and as much of a pain as Warde may be, he's already dealt with the stupidity of billionaire NFL owners, their grotesque behavior, and the GMs they have running their teams. I just don't see Harbaugh going to Dallas for that reason.

I could be wrong of course, but if I know ANYTHING about his personality, I just don't see that.

Back