Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official Washington vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION

I think he has more connections to UM than people realize, and he grew up in Ann Arbor, and has been raising his own family there.

Bo famously turned down a truckload of money from Texas A&M to stay at Michigan: "some things in life are more important than money." The $1MM salary would have (at the time) made Bo the highest paid coach in college football.

So it would not surprise me to see Jim stay.

I think he's been around the block enough to know you're always going to have a boss, and as much of a pain as Warde may be, he's already dealt with the stupidity of billionaire NFL owners, their grotesque behavior, and the GMs they have running their teams. I just don't see Harbaugh going to Dallas for that reason.

I could be wrong of course, but if I know ANYTHING about his personality, I just don't see that.

I just think that the NFL is an easier gig than college football now. More money, an easier job, and unfinished business.

I just think that the NFL is an easier gig than college football now. More money, an easier job, and unfinished business.

Well, I suppose that's true to some extent.

But I think it's always been easier to just pay for talent directly without having to go through the motions of recruiting. But working closely with NFL-owner types can't be pleasant either though. I know what you're saying, like "Who cares? Everyone on this planet would willingly whore themselves out for buck!"

Maybe not EVERYONE is all I'm saying

Well, I suppose that's true to some extent.

But I think it's always been easier to just pay for talent directly without having to go through the motions of recruiting. But working closely with NFL-owner types can't be pleasant either though. I know what you're saying, like "Who cares? Everyone on this planet would willingly whore themselves out for buck!"

Maybe not EVERYONE is all I'm saying

in the landscape of college football, with the NIL, transfer Portal, boosters, dealing with AD, etc...I would argue that being a head coach for a high profile college team is also whoring themselves out for a buck.

I think if JH does leave, it won't be about the $$. I think he's chasing a SB ring more than anything else. The money will just be a bonus. Just my guess though.

From his start of coaching until taking the UM job he coached at 4 different places, all in California. My guess is that if he doesn't take the SD job I'd rest easy.

THE TEAM THE TEAM THE TEAM. Ever and always. JH has been in both worlds and I hope he believes that coaching at the college level is more gratifying. And there?s his mission to ensure that the players are fairly compensated. He can?t lead that charge as coach of the Chargers.

Its such bullshit. too. Kelly obviously linking himself, so he can get an early raise. Dude would never get hired here.

Pat Forde reported that agent Jimmy Sexton represents Saban, DeBoer, Sarkisian, Mike Norvell, and Dan Lanning of Oregon. He basically played all the schools against eachother, presumably using insider information he has by virtue of representing most - if not all - of the coaches involved in the position search, to get all those guys raises (of which he gets a commission).

That strikes me as a kinda... shady.

Rhetorical queation: If one doesn't like college kids being able to transfer freely, this sort of disloyal and underhanded dealing from coaches must bother them as well, right?

Pat Forde reported that agent Jimmy Sexton represents Saban, DeBoer, Sarkisian, Mike Norvell, and Dan Lanning of Oregon. He basically played all the schools against eachother, presumably using insider information he has by virtue of representing most - if not all - of the coaches involved in the position search, to get all those guys raises (of which he gets a commission).

That strikes me as a kinda... shady.

Rhetorical queation: If one doesn't like college kids being able to transfer freely, this sort of disloyal and underhanded dealing from coaches must bother them as well, right?

Yeah, it's totally a coincidence that allllll their names came up in the Saban search.

Seems silly, but would be a challenge to draft around. On one hand, if he really does commit substantive violations and get caught or does something to justify getting fired, like some OTHER coaches of some OTHER programs we know, I don't think anyone - not even Harbaugh himself - would insist on a clause that gives him immunity for that. But the "witch hunt" stuff that went on this year and will likely continue is BS, and he's reasonable to not want the university to use that as a pretext to fire him, even though that might blow up the program (I could see Dave Brandon or Bill Martin fucking up like that... and Warde already lost Beilein...)

So they need to figure this out.

Seems silly, but would be a challenge to draft around. On one hand, if he really does commit substantive violations and get caught or does something to justify getting fired, like some OTHER coaches of some OTHER programs we know, I don't think anyone - not even Harbaugh himself - would insist on a clause that gives him immunity for that. But the "witch hunt" stuff that went on this year and will likely continue is BS, and he's reasonable to not want the university to use that as a pretext to fire him, even though that might blow up the program (I could see Dave Brandon or Bill Martin fucking up like that... and Warde already lost Beilein...)

So they need to figure this out.

Yeah I think this sort of clause is stemming from Harbaugh believing that he did nothing wrong and he's upset about the two suspensions he had to serve this past season.

I'm sure that the ongoing investigations are part of the holdup with the "for cause" clause, but I think the bigger issue is that the NCAA just created a rule that holds head coaches accountable for violations made by their assistants and staff. I have a feeling that what Jim is asking for is going to become a common clause in head coaching contracts going forward. He's already been suspended for something that he wasn't even aware was happening. If he's going to be held responsible for what some weirdo whose job is to watch high school film all day is doing with their free time and their money, it makes sense to ask for some additional protection.

I'm not in the camp that thinks they should give into everything he demands, there's got to be some protection for Michigan. But they've got to see that the NCAA has a vendetta against Jim so him asking for a 3 person panel to make a decision on a for-cause firing isn't remotely unreasonable and honestly could protect the school as well.

I?m not a huge fan of how long this is taking for Harbaugh to sign with a NFL team. Wish he would make up his mind. I?d like to get the new staff in place.

I?m not a huge fan of how long this is taking for Harbaugh to sign with a NFL team. Wish he would make up his mind. I?d like to get the new staff in place.

There's definitely something going on here.

I mean, consider his comments before the game:
?There used to be a saying: Old coaches ? my dad?s used it, my brother?s used it ? like, hey, ?We?re all robbing the same train here,'" Harbaugh said, per ESPN. ?Like coaches, administrators, media, television stations, conferences, NCAA. And the ones that are really robbing the train, the ones that could really get hurt are getting a very small piece. So that needs to change, too. That needs to change.

?It?s one thing for somebody to say, well, they?re getting NIL, but the billions that are being generated, they?re not getting much of, a very small percentage. They?re getting the same amount as I got in the ?80s. You?re getting a scholarship, room, board, books and tuition. So it?s like, come on, man, let?s do the right thing here.
You do not call out EVERYONE doing the robbing like that and get to keep your job... especially when you're now beating all of them on the field and they can't dismiss your comments as sour grapes and whining (which would be bullshit anyway because Harbaugh is right, regardless).

Michigan AD is just not very good. We freaking win the national title and our recruiting stinks. Osu is going full speed to try and beat us next season. I?m beyond frustrated why we can?t move forward. If Jim leaves I?m pretty sure Minter is going with him.

Manuel hired Howard and he is a disaster. Michigan basketball is 44-43 last 87 games. Howard should be fired.

Last edited:
Michigan AD is just not very good. We freaking win the national title and our recruiting stinks. Osu is going full speed to try and beat us next season. I?m beyond frustrated why we can?t move forward. If Jim leaves I?m pretty sure Minter is going with him.

Manuel hired Howard and he is a disaster. Michigan basketball is 44-43 last 87 games. Howard should be fired.

If Harbaugh leaves can't blame him and even with him the recruiting was never very good. Not enough NIL I guess.

Back