Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2021-2022 Free Agents Trades Rule 5 Arbitration Moves

Why would you maintain it is flawed? I would love to see the argument.

How about we just start with Goodrum. His value in Detroit is substantially less if he's that much worse....you know...where he plays half his games. Baseball is a mental game obviously. Some do better away others do better at home.. to me ignoring half a players production is extremely foolish.

As I mentioned with Kinsler he pointed to his poor OPS away in 2012 as an indication that his stats would slide badly in Detroit. They didn't.

How about we just start with Goodrum. His value in Detroit is substantially less if he's that much worse....you know...where he plays half his games. Baseball is a mental game obviously. Some do better away others do better at home.. to me ignoring half a players production is extremely foolish.

As I mentioned with Kinsler he pointed to his poor OPS away in 2012 as an indication that his stats would slide badly in Detroit. They didn't.

You still did not address anything specific to away OPS or Runs Created/650 PAs. Does this mean Coors (Story) or Cinegy (Castellanos) extreme Home Bias stats should not be considered? Or even the poor smucks that have to hit in a pitcher's park? Or even comparing pitchers? Total stats are impacted by these park biases.

You want to ignore them because it lessens your position on Baez. I never once addressed anyone on this board in my post, yet you come out attacking me and my history. Why? Kinsler is an rarity that I discussed on the board a couple of years ago. I am not going to continue discussing the one out of hundreds or thousands of player assessments I did. Belittle me all you want. You and the people like you are the reason less analytic based contributors are on this board. It isn't me.

If you don't like my premise, then debate the numbers. They aren't my numbers. They are the historical numbers for those players. Why does Story have 200 point difference in Home and Away? And why does Goodrum have such a disparity in his Home and Away. You cannot just say some play better at home, or on the road. Where is the proof? What studies are done? Analytics will tell what parks favor hitters. Which parks are better for lefties than righties, even if they are home parks.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about the signing right? At least that was what you posted. Except me. Somehow I am now a target of your ridicule. Good job.

Last edited:
The one I'd worry most about away numbers is Story since he plays in Colorado. Just so much easier to hit there.

The one I'd worry most about away numbers is Story since he plays in Colorado. Just so much easier to hit there.

Completely agree. But as we all know that's a common concern about any player from Colorado.

Again not to harp on Goodrum but had the dude been coming off a season like 18 or 19 perhaps Detroit gives him a longer look. Instead in the last 2 seasons (504 at bats) he's struck out 176 times with an obp near .275. His D regressed last year and even on a good year hits for about half the power Baez does.

And that's all his stats...not just the ones away from Detroit. It's absolutely mind boggling one wouldn't concern themselves with home stats when retaining a player lol.

I like Goodrum and there times he helped us big time but his time is passed.

Ignorance is bliss.

I can go ahead and bump the Kinsler thread to make a point. You were wrong an exceptional amount of times in that one thread alone. Including whiffing totally on a future CY young winner.

Im not saying OPS away has zero value but it certainly isn't a be all end all like you try to maintain. And again especially when you are determining whether to retain a player. Eliminating half his production makes zero sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
OPS Away has substantial value and Kinsler delivered over his Tigers? years, fortunately. Career wise, there is a substantial negative difference.

Baez has a positive OPS Away for his career. His .311 OBP from 2018-2021 is not impressive.

Six years is a longer contract than I?m comfortable with.

This is amazing..and demonstrates just how insidious and fake the speech of Rob Manfred was yesterday..thanks to @Fiskadoro74 aka Brandon Day of BYBTB for the heads up on this Travis Sawchik tweet.

In 2019, last year I have game-level data, pre-arb players accounted for 63.2% of all players to step on the field. They accounted for 53.6% of days of service time accumulated, but only 9.8% of player pay. (In NBA, only 3% of the league is at or close to min salary, 23% in NHL).
The difference between actual base salary earnings and what a player would earn on a dollar-per-WAR basis. (and keep in mind the vast majority of players are under 30):
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FFpUbgnXsAIpOGR?format=png&name=900x900

Great analysis, and honestly it dovetails with the underpaying of minor league players. Probably safe to assume most teams "employ" about 200 players, and a vast majority of the payroll goes to the 3-5 players. Scherzer's 2022 will pay him, the same as cumulative of 190 players?

Free agency requirements haven't changed since 1976. Arbitration eligibility hasn't changed much since '91. Player career length has changed *a lot.* Service time declined 23% from 2003 to '19. Manfred wrote that MLB players have the best deal. They don't.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1466563315937669122.html

MGorosh

https://www.mlb.com/news/commissioner-manfred-reiterates-desire-to-make-a-deal
Commissioner reiterates desire to make a deal.
MLB.com

https://www.baseballamerica.com/sto...ned-minor-league-phase-will-still-take-place/
Major League Rule 5 Draft Postponed, Minor League Phase Will Still Take Place.
BaseballAmerica

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2241177/manfreds-letter-ought-to-be-a-call-for-players-to-dig-in
Manfred's letter should be call for players to dig in.
TheScore

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred wasted no time painting the players' association as the greedier side in collective bargaining negotiations - and the one responsible for the lockout that MLB owners implemented early Thursday.

At 12:03 a.m. on Dec. 2, minutes after the collective bargaining agreement expired, MLB.com published a letter from the commissioner to the league's fans. It was an effort to shape public opinion ahead of what could be a lengthy work stoppage. Owners didn't have to lock out players, but Manfred said it's a defensive measure to prevent a strike like the one that ripped apart the 1994 season.

Much of the letter outlined a financial playing field that is far from reality for most players - and far from the players' vision for the next CBA. The letter was also something of an indirect message: If players want major changes, it's going to be difficult. The owners will test their solidarity. The fans? They'll have to wait.

Let's examine some of Manfred's, and by extension, the owners' assertions.

Back