Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2021-2022 Free Agents Trades Rule 5 Arbitration Moves

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/10/03/monday-musings/
MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Welcome to the off-season!

It?s time now to dig in by starting the discussions about the preparations for the 2022 season.

The personnel changes that will (hopefully) continue to be made?

The personnel changes that won?t be made?

The statements from A. J. Hinch and Al Avila?

The players offered contracts?

And the players who will be non-tendered?.

Then, of course, the trades?.

And the promises to get involved in the free agent market.

There will be lots going on pre- and post- Hot Stove.

And it will all be covered here.

But before we can jump into the off-season, we need to reflect upon the 2021 year. What went right? What went wrong? How far away are the Tigers now from becoming competitive?

Let?s kick of the first day of no baseball (at least for our team) by looking back at the good stuff.

The most exciting part of the Tigers offseason and future..besides the unicorn Riley Greene..is for the first time in 6 years they have a shrewd..new age FO in charge of everything..lets see where their plan takes us..you have 55-60M to spend..and spending isn't all used in FA.

lets inspect the journey of the Tigers lineup in 2021..Avila/Chadd/Littlefield provided Hinch a position player roster on Opening day ..where 3 Starters survived..3 out of 9...
Cabrera
Candelario
Grossman
thats it..wonder why people got fired..well start there..

Tyler Alexander 3.49 ERA as a SP..in 67 IP..he's one of your 6 SP to start the year..and he should be..not flashy..just gets people out..the cutter has been a career changer..

wanna grasp how great a job AJ Hinch and staff did in 2021..how many position players were on the field in 2021..who will be on the field the next time the Tigers make the playoffs..hell...compete for the playoffs.

It was a really fun baseball season in DET..for all of us..but damn..it screams what a dumpster fire the last 5 years have been when a 77 in season engenders such joy..cannot wait to see if AJ has as much FO power as I think he does..

Everybody's Favorite.....

Thank you Tigers fans for your support in 2021. Great progress on the field for sure, but a lot left to do. Can?t wait to get to 2022.

A.J. Hinch

Last edited:
The Detroit Tigers' last game on Sunday was probably the most important one for players still uncertain for the roster going forward. Daz Cameron scored himself a major point with his HR.

Ever since the Tigers were guaranteed to finish below .500 and miss moving into 2nd place, A. J. Hinch turned the focus towards the players with uncertain futures. A final assessment of whether they fit, where they fit and what value they have going forward.

No coincidence that the 4 players 100% guaranteed of roster spots next year - Miggy, Grossman, Schoop and Candy - all sat yesterday.

This may be the last year in which draft picks are given according to teams' records. It is a major sticking point with the MLBPA which wants to get rid of it in the CBA to be negotiated this December.
The reason why? It promotes teams tanking. Essentially a system that rewards losing.

Totally Tigers

If you think they will play the time game with Tork and Greene..guess again..the new CBA will likely abolish the service time gaming process..if both are good enough to start in 2022 straight out of spring training..they will..I have predicted Greene will be the CF since June..

115 Million..thats my projected budget for the 2022 Detroit Tigers..subtracting all the cuts for players no longer under contract who Al Avila signed in the 2021 offseason except Robbie Grossman..the Schoop pay raise and cutting Matthew Boyd leaves about 53M to spend..have at it.

This Monday is always the happiest day of the year for Al Avila..means he can spew incoherent plans..say nothing..but know..he does not need to speak or explain anything to fans or the media for months..

SP derby
Gausman
Ray
Stroman
Rodon
Verlander
Jon Gray
Eduardo Rodriguez
Syndergaard

The 2021 season set a record with 284 MLB pitchers who have had Tommy John surgery (262 pitched in at least one MLB game, 22 more were on the MLB IL all season). This group made up a record 32.2% of all MLB pitchers (excluding position players who pitched).

I have been on a campaign..a quest.. to fire Al Avila since July of 2017..wanna understand why..listen to what he said today..how it was delivered..and the substance or lack thereof..the vision ..the fear..the nonsense..the priorities.

whats changed..well the manager and every single baseball executive he has hired within his inner circle and org since the day he was hired as GM in the dark of night when he stabbed Dombrowski in the back..has been fired except Sarotri and Menzin..who are now Hinch guys..

More A.J. Hinch: "If we can get somebody who can drive us there 100 mph, then I'll hop in the seat and we?ll drive it. If not, then we're gonna have to find other ways to get to 90-plus wins. That?s what we do."
This is..exactly what they do..and do well..assess and optimize talent..no fear..no apologies..

remember the last time Al Avila prioritized a SP in FA..its why these decisions need to be left to professionals..not named Al Avila..
Does any GM say less than Al Avila..then again..is Avila really in charge anymore..he may think he is..but..we know that answer...I promise AJ Hinch is getting a SS....Hinch and Sartori are crafting the baseball decisions..listen to what Hinch says and the what Al says..

A.J. Hinch on Riley Greene and Spencer Torkelson: "It's gonna be big drama, and you guys are gonna ask a lot, and I love that. I love the pressure on these guys. And then we'll see where it takes us. ... I hope they put all kinds of pressure on us for Opening Day."

I could ask myself would any of these org changes and enhancements have occurred if without the hiring of AJ Hinch..we know the answer..but..does it matter..

Ribas spent the last four seasons as the pitching coordinator in the Los Angeles Dodgers system, where he "worked across many areas within player development, including coaching staffs, performance science, strength and conditioning, baseball analytics and others to construct and maintain a highly individualized and comprehensive pitching development program," according to a release from the Tigers.

Everyone's favorite asshole...

In response to jon hayman talking about correa to the Tigers;
Tigers GM Al Avila on free agency: "I would caution you: This is not going to be spending like a drunken sailor. This is going to be a very measured process."
Translation: No 8+ year, $340 million contract for Carlos Correa.

The Detroit Tigers continue to move quickly. They just added Gabe Ribas as their Director of Pitching. And there's a pattern here. A good pattern actually....
You've got to think that Fetter had great influence on this move considering the background for both men on pitching and having worked for the Dodgers.

A.J. Hinch came to the Tigers after suspension and a year in baseball purgatory.
After his first season as manager, he has the makings of a transformative figure in Detroit sports.
Sunday, Hinch opened up on his new life and the Tigers? new dawn.
It's the intangibles that define and drive performance.

Totally Tigers

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/amid-rebuild-tigers-approach-offseason-with-caution
Tigers 'measured' in approach to offseason. New pitching director hired.
GM Avila, Hinch discuss free agency, Detroit's rebuild needs.
Tigers official site

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...hire-gabe-ribas-director-pitching/6002568001/
Tigers hire Gabe Ribas as director of pitching.
Detnews

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...gers-gabe-ribas-director-pitching/6002470001/
Detroit Tigers new director of pitching Gabe Ribas will have key role in minors.
Freep

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2021/1...hs-first-year-staff-will-be-back-in-2022.html
Nearly every coach on A.J. Hinch?s first-year staff will be back in 2022.
Mlive

In response to jon hayman talking about correa to the Tigers;
Tigers GM Al Avila on free agency: "I would caution you: This is not going to be spending like a drunken sailor. This is going to be a very measured process."
Translation: No 8+ year, $340 million contract for Carlos Correa.

thank god!

Imo, no more than 3-4 year deals. No 15 mill. per season deals.

Don't bring Boyd back. Get rid of Joe Jimenez.

Apparently Gorosh wants our GM to be open about all plans of the off season. That would work wonderful for players agents.

Personally I'd rather not see them throw 30m+ per season at anyone. This team would be better with 3 10m players than 1 30m.

Back