Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2021-2022 Free Agents Trades Rule 5 Arbitration Moves

I can?t believe they?re signing Javy Baez. I despise this big time. It?s not even that I hated him as a Cub (because I hate the Cubs and because he?s a douche), the guy is the Delmon Young of shortstops. He cannot hit anything off speed, his plate discipline is laughable (particularly on off speed pitches), he strikes out left and right, and he doesn?t draw a walk to save his life.

This doesn?t help my already poor impression of Chris Ilitch or this front office.

I want this printed on my headstone one day as the most accurate sports prediction I?ve ever made

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...javier-baezs-first-season-detroit/7921560001/
Poor strike zone judgment continues to torpedo Baez's first season in Detroit.
Detnews

The numbers are alarming and mind-boggling. According to FanGraphs, of the 1,630 pitches Baez has seen this season (before Saturday), only 34% have been inside the strike zone. Meaning, 66% of the pitches thrown to him are balls.
And yet, his walk rate is among the lowest in baseball (4.4%) and his chase rate is among the highest (46%).

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/11/17/saturday-survey-104/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

Javier Baez had the worst offensive year of his career in 2023.

Despite extensive work with A. J. Hinch last winter and all 3 hitting coaches this year, he could not find success.

The Tigers have stated that Baez is a willing student and he puts in lots of work tweaking his plate mechanics. It worked in simulations but during actual games, he failed to implement the changes.

Javy takes ownership of his problems and has talked about how hard the mental part of hitting is and he has told Hinch that he has a hard time seeing fastballs.

This winter, both sides are taking yet another approach in trying to help him. He will be spending part of the winter in Lakeland and has hired a new trainer.

His hitting coaches will continue to work with him. And so will Richard Schenck, a new hire, who is Aaron Judge?s ? and Kerry Carpenter?s ? hitting coach.

Baez will be 31 years old in several weeks and he has 4 more years/$98 mill left on his contract.

Do you think Javy can turn his hitting woes around?

Do you think Javier Baez can turn his hitting woes around?

1. Yes, the new plan should help.

2. I hope for the best but I have some doubts.

3. No, it's too late to turn things around.

VOTE

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...nges-javier-baez-offseason-plans/71657854007/
'Days of Roar' Tigers Podcast: Breaking down roster changes and can Detroit Tigers fix Javier B?ez? 62 minutes.
Freep

On this episode: Mark and Evan have a slew of changes to the roster to cover this week. Are there any surprises as to who was kept or let go? Later in the pod, the guys review Evan's piece on Javier B?ez's offseason training plans. What's different about this offseason and what new options are available to help the shortstop fix his swing? To close the pod, the guys answer some listener mail-bag questions including one that catches Evan completely by surprise.

THE BLACK HOLE. (at shortstop).
Totally Tigers

Back