Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2023 Spring Training Thread

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/03/24/saturday-survey-70/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

Miguel Cabrera is a shell of his former self primarily due to age and injuries.
He is expected to play approximately 2 games per week this year.

Because of his long-standing physical problems, he is no longer able to hit for power. For most of his years, he batted third in the lineup. That spot is reserved for the team?s best hitter who usually always has a high batting average, can drive in runs but can also get on base so the clean up hitter can bring him home.

Among the expected players to make the roster, who is now best qualified to take over that 3rd spot in the hitting order on a regular basis? Cast your vote and share your thoughts!

Who should bat 3rd for the Tigers this year?

1. Javier Baez

2. Kerry Carpenter

3. Riley Greene

4. Eric Haase

5. Austin Meadows

VOTE

?I just feel like I?m figuring out me, figuring out my swing a little more,? Maton said afterward in the Tigers' clubhouse. ?I think it?s a matter of getting older, of getting to know your body.?

?Everyone knows I can hit the fastball,? said Maton, who also had a single and a pair of walks and is hitting .326 on the spring. ?I?ve got to work on the other stuff.

?It?s not just hitting it,? he said of getting a handle on secondary pitches. ?It?s being able to take (a pitch) ? to lay off it and buy yourself another fastball later in the count.

Candidates to be DFA by Tigers:

Rony Garcia
Tyler Holton
Zach Short
Edwin Uceta

long shot
Caesar Hernandez

possible 60 day IL Wenceel Perez

They for sure need 2 spots for
Trey Wingenter
Chasen Shreve

A.J. Hinch said the Tigers' final roster decisions will likely continue after their final spring training game, into early next week.

The idea of carrying both Baddoo and Carpenter seems to remain on the table. Theoretically means Kreidler isn't a 100 percent lock.

The idea of waiting into next week to set the roster also seems like an indication the Tigers could still add outside help.

Cody Stavenhagen

Last edited:
https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/03/25/deeper-discussions-66/
DEEPER DISCUSSIONS.
Totally Tigers

The World Baseball Classic (WBC) just concluded with a thrilling 2 weeks of play. A number of well-known players left their MLB teams to represent their countries.

The event surpassed all expectations. All those within baseball saw these games as thrilling. The best players squaring off against the best players, walk off home runs, exciting play and tons of emotion.

Many also saw these competitions as the kick start baseball needs to renew interest in the game.

Last week, 53% of our readership said that they weren?t interested in the WBC. But has that changed now given the excitement and quality of play?

Tell us by casting your vote.

And today, for those of you who watched the games, tell us about your favorite in-game moment or memory. Tell those who haven?t watched what they missed.

Today?s blog allows readers to share their thoughts in more detail. And hopefully, to actively engage with others by responding to their posts and creating back-and-forth discussion threads. The more the merrier!

For this one blog only, you?ve got 6 sentences max to share your thoughts.
Of course, you can respond to others? comments.

How do you feel about the WBC now?

1. Always loved it and will continue to watch it.

2. Guess I missed out. Will watch next time.

3. Still not interested in watching.

VOTE

About to play a 30th ST game - that seems excessive. They need to cut that in half.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...cody-stavenhagen/id1557916983?i=1000605888065
Turning The Corner Tigers Podcast 103. Detroit Tigers Begin 2023 With Intrigue. 87 minutes.

The Detroit Tigers open the 2023 season in just a few days.
What kind of team will they be? The Athletic?s Cody Stavenhagen and co-host Kieran Steckley attempt to forecast what is to come this summer.
Topics include Riley Greene, Javier Baez, Spencer Turnbull, Zack Short, Spencer Torkelson, Akil Baddoo, Matt Manning, Kerry Carpenter, Mason Englert

We tweeted it yesterday. Teams will be making their final cuts and putting players on waivers over the next couple of days. And you know how much the Detroit Tigers' Scott Harris loves scanning that waiver wire.

Now, A. J. Hinch has announced that the Tigers will not be finalizing their roster until sometime next week despite Sunday's game being the last one before the season starts. They have to submit an official Opening Day roster by noon next Thursday.

With the announcement that a roster will not be finalized until sometime after spring training, it sure sounds like Scott Harris will be watching the waiver wire and possibly adding another player if the right fit is found. Stay tuned....

Totally Tigers

Back