Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers and MLB 2019-2020 Free Agents Rule 5 Offseason Calendar Winter Meetings

I don't think I like the idea of a floor. If a team has a bunch of young cheap players why should they be forced to spend more? TB and Oakland both made the playoffs with payrolls under $100M.

I think they should increase the minimum salaries and shorten the length of time players are under team control (or at least let them hit arb earlier to let the really good players get paid).

As far as a hard cap...I don't like that idea either. I like the luxury tax but the ceiling should be lower than it is now. If a team wants to go over it let them but they pay a price. My other idea would be the taxes paid wouldn't go to the other owners. It would go straight to the players as a "bonus". Any player that is on a major league roster that is pre arb gets X (prorated for number of days on the active roster). Last year the total taxes were only about $24M.

Not a fan of shortening the years to get to arbitration. Hard enough to keep players on one team now. Baseball was always about watching players you grew up with and later as became older. Free agency changed some of that.. Earlier arbitration just means more money quicker and players leaving at a young age.

Everyone has their theories but there are reasons baseball is not near as popular as it was in 80's.

Not a fan of shortening the years to get to arbitration. Hard enough to keep players on one team now. Baseball was always about watching players you grew up with and later as became older. Free agency changed some of that.. Earlier arbitration just means more money quicker and players leaving at a young age.

Most MLB players don't hit free agency until their 9th year in the league. That seems too long to me (from the player's perspective). Boyd will be 32 when he is eligible for free agency.

Everyone has their theories but there are reasons baseball is not near as popular as it was in 80's.

I think payroll and salaries are at the bottom of the list...probably not even a factor for 99% of potential fans.

The top of the list are it's boring and there are too many other options out there.

Most MLB players don't hit free agency until their 9th year in the league. That seems too long to me (from the player's perspective). Boyd will be 32 when he is eligible for free agency.

Boyd not a good example. He wasn't a full time player until a few years ago. Harper was 26 when he left Nats, could have left earlier (I think). The guy SD signed was 27. Mike Trout.

I think payroll and salaries are at the bottom of the list...probably not even a factor for 99% of potential fans.

The top of the list are it's boring and there are too many other options out there.

My last point about payroll wasn't really a consideration when I posted this. Baseball boring, never. Otherwise, NHL would be more popular (Though I think it's on the rise).

Boyd not a good example. He wasn't a full time player until a few years ago. Harper was 26 when he left Nats, could have left earlier (I think). The guy SD signed was 27. Mike Trout.

My last point about payroll wasn't really a consideration when I posted this. Baseball boring, never. Otherwise, NHL would be more popular (Though I think it's on the rise).

Boyd is a good example. Trout and Harper are terrible examples, they both made their MLB debuts at 19. That is rare. I couldn't find it but my guess is the average age a baseball player makes his MLB debut is close to 23.

I think hockey is more of a niche sport. Personally, I find it boring.

Boyd is a good example. Trout and Harper are terrible examples, they both made their MLB debuts at 19. That is rare. I couldn't find it but my guess is the average age a baseball player makes his MLB debut is close to 23.

I think hockey is more of a niche sport. Personally, I find it boring.

If Boyd started and played right away, age 23, he'd already been to free agency. And yes, if someone isn't a starter right away you can control them for a while. But I don't want stars hitting free agency in 6 years. Imagine JV gone sooner than he was (btw was 23 his rookie year).

Baseball, boring. Hockey, Boring. Lol. What do find not boring?

If Boyd started and played right away, age 23, he'd already been to free agency. And yes, if someone isn't a starter right away you can control them for a while. But I don't want stars hitting free agency in 6 years. Imagine JV gone sooner than he was (btw was 23 his rookie year).

Baseball, boring. Hockey, Boring. Lol. What do find not boring?

football

as far as Boyd...in 2015 (age 24) he started 12 games, so I assume that it was his first year that counted towards MLB service time. He isn't a free agent until 2023. If he started a year earlier (age 23) he would be under control for 2 more years. He is currently under team control for 3 more years.

I feed sad for you. The one sport when the Detroit team will never win.

The nice thing for me is I like football but don't care if the Lions win or lose. I'll pretty much watch any NFL game and any college game where there are good teams playing each other.

The nice thing for me is I like football but don't care if the Lions win or lose. I'll pretty much watch any NFL game and any college game where there are good teams playing each other.

Same for NHL for me except I care if they win or lose. I don't get upset with it, it's a game after all bit I do care.

I agree. I could live with him on a one year deal but not 3 years.

I like the idea of Eric Thames on a cheap one year deal. LH hitting 1B.

Exactly. Thames and some other OF'er before bringing a man/child/lunatic like Puig. and if so please just 1 year.

I agree. I could live with him on a one year deal but not 3 years.

I like the idea of Eric Thames on a cheap one year deal. LH hitting 1B.

Look at Thames' Home and Away splits. Additionally, he absolutely cannot hit lefties.

Back