Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers and MLB 2019-2020 Free Agents Rule 5 Offseason Calendar Winter Meetings

I don't see any conclusion and if lets say Detroit hasn't talked to anyone, outside the Braves, how could that be conclusion. Assuming they actually talked about players.

Spending in the off season is generally dependent on who the FA's are. Strasburg has opted out so he's going to get paid and most likely by a top team.

This was from the article above "The middle-tier free agents have perhaps struggled the most." With regards to contracts. I like it this way, Middle-tier free agents have been getting paid way too much for way too long.

Look at Thames' Home and Away splits. Additionally, he absolutely cannot hit lefties.

I'm not too concerned about his home and away splits. As far as hitting lefties, he wouldn't have to bat against lefties. Miggy can play 1B when a LH pitcher is on the mound

Over the past 3 seasons, Thames has a .354 OBP and .883 OPS vs RH pitching. Isn't that what the Tigers need?

Agree. The way I see I rather have a guy who can't lefties than a guy who can't hit righties.

With that being said I don't see the Tigers' brass doing one thing to improve this team as far as free agents go.

Last year Victor Reyes led the team with a .341 OBP vs RH pitching. As a team, the Tigers hit .235 with an OBP of .289 against righties.

Just terrible. Its unbelievable when I see John Hicks get over 300 PA, or when Brandon Dixon, who started nicely, but 21 walks to 136 strikeouts didn't get cut about 8 times.

They can talk about rebuild all they want but it was tanking through and through.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2019/11/08/the-saturday-survey-56/
THE SATURDAY SURVEY.

The Saturday Survey offers another way for readers to weigh in on a relevant topic. So here is a poll to gauge the pulse of our baseball-lovin? peeps.
As always, we welcome your comments, so please vote and then submit your reasons ( 4 sentences max!) for how you voted in the usual comment box. Don?t forget to come back later and view the results!

Michael Fulmer missed all of 2019 when injury and Tommy John surgery came calling. He is expected to miss most or all of the 2020 season.
Please help us by participating in today?s survey so we can get a gauge on what readers believe the future holds for Fulmer in Detroit.

MIchael Fulmer is the Tigers? third most expensive player, making $2.8 million in 2019. How do you believe they will address his future with the team in 2020?

Will tender a contract for the same $2.8 million.

Will take him to arbitration in order to reduce his salary.

Will non-tender him.

Will non-tender him and offer a minor-league contract while he rehabs.

Other.

Vote.

RE Doug Mientkiewicz

Multiple players — all of whom said their experiences with Mientkiewicz were positive — agreed that he may not be the right fit for a younger team.

Mientkiewicz profiles as an acquired taste, one whose no-frills, full-steam-ahead demeanor could go south quickly — which, apparently, it did with Detroit.

Back