Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers and MLB 2019-2020 Free Agents Rule 5 Offseason Calendar Winter Meetings

Lessee...WS Champs in the AL over the past 25 years:

AL East:

Blue Jays: 0
Orioles: 0
Devil/Rays: 0 (never)
Yanks: 5
Red Sox: 4

AL Central:

Twins: 0
Tigers: 0
Indians: 0
White Sox: 1
Royals: 1

AL West:

Rangers: 0 (never)
Mariners: 0 (never)
A's: 0
Angels: 1
Asstros: *

Soo...each division has had only 2 of 5 teams wining a WS championship within a generation's time.

It is highly unlikely that the Tigers franchise under its current ownership and organizational staff are very capable of producing a championship-caliber team...however, due to playing in a division sans big market/spending competition, they "should" be capable of fielding divisional contenders....eventually.

As I have posted before, it appears that Ilitch's goal is to fund teams as if the franchise is in a small market and set the team payroll accordingly. Then hope that they can somehow emulate what the Royals did in '14-'15...and what the A's Twins and Rays are trying to do currently.

so really, only one championship in a market similar to the size of Detroit. Ownership is probably smart to run the franchise the way they are doing it.

so really, only one championship in a market similar to the size of Detroit. Ownership is probably smart to run the franchise the way they are doing it.

Smart?

or just cheap?

Frugal and shrewd are what the STL Cards have been, much moreso than any other mid-market MLB franchise.

the bottom line, why waste the money?

Why waste my time, if beginning next year, it becomes obvious that the owner's goal is only to be competitive in a weak and highly transitional division? I have stopped following or watching the Red Wings and Pistons, and the Lions and Tigers are next.

Why waste my time, if beginning next year, it becomes obvious that the owner's goal is only to be competitive in a weak and highly transitional division? I have stopped following or watching the Red Wings and Pistons, and the Lions and Tigers are next.

Why the Red Wings though? Assuming you were a fan? A few missed playoff seasons is expected after 25 straight and 4 cups.

Last edited:
Detroit won twice in SS action to start their Grapefruit League preseason yesterday, by 8-4 and 5-1 scores vs Philly and Atlanta on the road...the latter that was televised. @ Pitts squad hit 4 homers, but none were by players who are expected to make the trip north and/or hit many of them, once the regular season gets underway. Cron, Cabrera and Shoop DNP in either game, and Shoop is apparently having visa issues in SA.

Next up is a home game in Lakeland, vs none other than the cheater asstros, who plan on having springer, gurriel, bregman, and altuve make their ST debuts...wish that game was televised, so to watch what kind of reception that they will be receiving.

Why the Red Wings though? Assuming you were a fan? A few missed playoff seasons is expected after 25 straight and 4 cups.

Watched more than enough bad hockey in the 60s-80s, not gonna do so again. As well as bad basketball during most of the same timeframe. I stopped watching the Tigers during the 90s-early 00s and just read about their teams in the sports sections of my daily newspaper...likewise the Lions during the Millen regime.

Last edited:
Watched more than enough bad hockey in the 60s-80s, not gonna do so again. As well as bad basketball during most of the same timeframe. I stopped watching the Tigers during the 90s-early 00s and just read about their teams in the sports sections of my daily newspaper...likewise the Lions during the Millen regime.

I don't watch many games when the Tigers are bad but I follow them just as religiously.

Watching the O's @ Phils on MLB TV, they just announced that the broadcast will cut over to the asstros @ Tigers game to check on fan/team reactions. Now its only altuve, correa and bregman who are skedded to start in the game...but the ESPN gameday shows gurriel having batted 5th in the first inning. ex-Tiger Mikie Mahtook is penciled to start in RF in the game for the Phillies this afternoon.

Last edited:
That scandal is actually pretty good for baseball. Normally nobody cares about baseball until summer. It's getting all kinds of media attention thanks to the scandal.

Mahtook clubs a 3 run homer in his second AB in the bottom 4th to straightaway CF.

@ the halfway point in the Tigers vs ass***s game, they have mustered all of 2 hits, 2 BBs and 1 unearned run with the lineup still largely comprised of players who will start in the regular season. No cutaway by MLB TV as yet, but the Tigers are not really rivals of the ass***s in any sense of the word, unlike the AL West and Yanks in the postseason. Plus their other division rivals play in the Cactus League during ST. Tigers trail by a score of 4-1.

Finally Gardy subs the entire lineup w/their likely AAA backups (save maybe Mercer) in the bottom 6th.

Tigers BP (Anthony Castro?) serves up a grand slam to julks in the top 7th...8-1...7 runs on 3 homers.

Last edited:
Phillies win 8-7 on a walkoff via a throwing error to third in the bottom 9th, after the O's had clawed back late to tie the game from a 7-1 deficit.

Tigers get trounced and are blown out by a score of 11-1 @ as the ass***s score 3 more runs in the top 9th on a 3 run homer by adams off of Carlton.

Last edited:
The Rays and Marlins should be moved to the Cactus League in AZ for ST and the Reds and Indians move to take their places in FL as Grapefruit Leaguers, since every team shares a ST facility with another there in AZ, unlike FL.

Besides it seems odd that these two FL franchises are the only ones to train in the same state where each play half their games during the regular season...Stop it!

Oh wait...just recalled that the Diamondbacks also train in their home state too...so switch them with the Grapefruit Leaguer Ass***s!!

Last edited:
Back