Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. indians Game Thread August 21

tigers99888 said:
bdemil1 said:
I agree. I think Porcello is looking average right now. I thought he was capable of throwing 94/95. Right now 92 is about as high as he can get.
That's what happens when you bring up a pitcher prematurely..

how would that affect his velocity

he was on a pitch count his first two seasons anyway.

jimmygank said:
tigers99888 said:

Should have let him developed more than 3 pitches.. Should have had a pitch count in the minors.. Whoever did developed him wanted him to be of the low velocity groundball variety, which is not what he was drafted for..

Tigers 2nd inning,

Cabrera grounds to third,

Martinez fly to left,

Avila called out on strikes,

jimenez with 27 pitches.

I don't think lack of velocity was caused by bringing him up to soon. His success relies upon movement and getting ahead of the hiiters.

jimmygank said:
tigers99888 said:

IMHO, Rick's problems are two fold. #1- He was brought up too early, but I don't think that affected his velocity. The problem is that he was not allowed to hone his secondary stuff in the minors. It's a much tougher task at the major league level

#2- He has mechanical flaws that pop up. When his mechanics are on, his ball has a lot of movement. The sinker is nasty and he's a ground ball machine. When they're off, his ball is flat and very hittable.

bdemil1 said:
I don't think lack of velocity was caused by bringing him up to soon. His success relies upon movement and getting ahead of the hiiters.
I think bringing him up early had something to do with it.. It's allow easier to have success being a low velocity, groundball pitcher earlier.. If they had him in the minors, he probably could have developed into a MAx Scherzer type of pitcher.. It takes longer to develop that type of pitcher..

tigers99888 said:
jimmygank said:

Should have let him developed more than 3 pitches.. Should have had a pitch count in the minors.. Whoever did developed him wanted him to be of the low velocity groundball variety, which is not what he was drafted for..

How many developed more than three pitches in the minors? And he had a PC in the minors but all pitchers start with PC on the BL club.

tigers99888 said:
bdemil1 said:
I agree. I think Porcello is looking average right now. I thought he was capable of throwing 94/95. Right now 92 is about as high as he can get.

How would that have any affect on h is velocity?

The truth is, Porcello was never a pitcher that consistently hit mid 90's.

mikem2780 said:
IMHO, Rick's problems are two fold. #1- He was brought up too early, but I don't think that affected his velocity. The problem is that he was not allowed to hone his secondary stuff in the minors. It's a much tougher task at the major league level

#2- He has mechanical flaws that pop up. When his mechanics are on, his ball has a lot of movement. The sinker is nasty and he's a ground ball machine. When they're off, his ball is flat and very hittable.
I agree except I think his velocity was lowered to preserve his arm more.. They should have taken more time to develop him in the minors, hopefully they do this with Jacob Turner..

tigers99888 said:
bdemil1 said:
I think bringing him up early had something to do with it.. It's allow easier to have success being a low velocity, groundball pitcher earlier.. If they had him in the minors, he probably could have developed into a MAx Scherzer type of pitcher.. It takes longer to develop that type of pitcher..

I'm assuming you have a link or something to prove this.

Would love to see/read it.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
tigers99888 said:

How many developed more than three pitches in the minors? And he had a PC in the minors but all pitchers start with PC on the BL club.
He wasn't in the minors long enough, plain and simple..

I agree that Rick's main issue is his mechanics....it's clear he doesn't bring the same approach everyday...which is why you'll see him go on tears for about 6 starts and then lose it for 3.

hopefully at some point it all comes together.

mjsb2 said:

It's common knowledge.. The majority of pitchers that come out with high velocity and an array of pitches are either in the minors 2 to 3 years or are drafted out of college IE Strasburg, Verlander..

tigers99888 said:
mjsb2 said:

It's common knowledge.. The majority of pitchers that come out with high velocity and an array of pitches are either in the minors 2 to 3 years or are drafted out of college IE Strasburg, Verlander..

So you have nothing to prove it?

Gotcha.

Would have been a much better inning if not for Cabrera's AB.. 53 pitches in 3 innings is somewhat iffy.. I guess he could easily go 6 though..

tigers99888 said:
mjsb2 said:

Like Clemens and Gooden, lol.

1 2 3, guess he's solid again, lol.

mjsb2 said:
tigers99888 said:

How would that have any affect on h is velocity?

The truth is, Porcello was never a pitcher that consistently hit mid 90's.
Yes he was..

tigers99888 said:
mjsb2 said:

What a statement. The correct statement is that most very talented pitchers regardless of velocity are in the minors for 2-3 years.

Back