Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. indians Game Thread August 9

mjsb2 said:
tomdalton22 said:
2-0 count is a good time to hit and run with a guy that hasn't been hitting IMO. The pitcher is trying to groove one and the batter is forced to try to make contact. As far as walking the bases loaded in the bottom of the 14th inning with only one out is also a solid baseball decision. Any hit into the infield you can go home unless it is a EASY DP ball. I have no problem with either decision.

When a pitcher can't throw strikes, you should never force a hitter, especially a patient hitter like Guillen, to swing.

Walking the bases loaded is pretty much never a good decision, it removes all room for error.

Walking the bases loade with 1 out in the bottom of the 14th is the exact time you do it. On any ball hit to the infield you have a force out at home. Of course you can lose on a HBP or walk in the run but it gives you a better chance to get out of it if your players do their job.

tomdalton22 said:
mjsb2 said:
When a pitcher can't throw strikes, you should never force a hitter, especially a patient hitter like Guillen, to swing.

Walking the bases loaded is pretty much never a good decision, it removes all room for error.

Walking the bases loade with 1 out in the bottom of the 14th is the exact time you do it. On any ball hit to the infield you have a force out at home. Of course you can lose on a HBP or walk in the run but it gives you a better chance to get out of it if your players do their job.

No, it's still a very questionable move, which doesn't increase your chances.

Who cares about creating a force at home?

On a DP play ball you likely won't be going home anyways.

Only way you do is if it's right at the 3B or pitcher, but of course, without walking him if it's right at the pitcher he could just as easily turn two by throwing to second, and the 3B could either turn two or check the runner and get the out at first.

The GW winning run wouldn't score on a GB just because there is no force out at home.

This thread is proof that this board can and will be better than ESPN's.

Kudos!!!

mjsb2 said:
tomdalton22 said:

No, it's still a very questionable move, which doesn't increase your chances.

Who cares about creating a force at home?

On a DP play ball you likely won't be going home anyways.

Only way you do is if it's right at the 3B or pitcher, but of course, without walking him if it's right at the pitcher he could just as easily turn two by throwing to second, and the 3B could either turn two or check the runner and get the out at first.

The GW winning run wouldn't score on a GB just because there is no force out at home.
yeah, no point in creating a forceout when a tag will work nicely and the DP is already set up. no point in removing the margin for error for the pitcher.

Tigers had the leadoff man on seven times in the final ten innings, but only advanced runner past first twice, only 3AB with RISP after 2nd inning.
Time to end this crap in cleveland's park wednesday night and beat the snot out of them.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Most teams do it most times. It just didn't work out.

It was the right play, I called it before they did it.

You can't assume a double play at 1st and 2nd, and if you don't turn it you lose.

Set up a force at home so any ground ball gets the runner out at home, then once you have that out, any other out ends the inning.

I'm not going to jump all over Pauley for it, but he was missing away on the earlier batters, which says his control was not great last night, so why on earth did he try to come so hard inside on Fukudome?

MI_Thumb said:
[quote="Mitch":6epsd3xq]Most teams do it most times. It just didn't work out.

It was the right play, I called it before they did it.

You can't assume a double play at 1st and 2nd, and if you don't turn it you lose.

Set up a force at home so any ground ball gets the runner out at home, then once you have that out, any other out ends the inning.

I'm not going to jump all over Pauley for it, but he was missing away on the earlier batters, which says his control was not great last night, so why on earth did he try to come so hard inside on Fukudome?[/quote:6epsd3xq]
I agree 100% that it was the right move. I guess the mod / creator let the dumb posters come over too.
laugh.png

I don't think someone is dumb just because they disagreed with a call.

Back