Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. rays Game Thread August 22

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Tigers lineup :
Jackson CF
Boesch RF
Young LF
Cabrera DH ***
Avila C ***
Peralta SS
Betemit 3B
Kelly 1B ***
Santiago 2B
Verlander P

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=310822130&teams=detroit-tigers-vs-tampa-bay-rays
Tigers vs. rays Game Preview.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/6341/justin-verlander
Verlander vs. rays.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/6243/jeff-niemann
Tigers hitters vs. niemann.
from espn

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_22_detmlb_tbamlb_1&mode=gameday&c_id=det
Gameday from mlb.com

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=310822130&teams=detroit-tigers-vs-tampa-bay-rays
Boxscore from espn

Justin Verlander and Jeff Niemann went two picks apart in the 2004 draft. Now they get a matchup against each other.
Not many numbers for the Tigers against Rays starter Jeff Niemann, though Delmon Young is 4-for-10 off him. The bigger difference is the splits: Left-handed batters hit .257 with a .712 OPS off Niemann through his 16 starts so far this season, compared with .226 and .646 from the right side. Thus, you see Ramon Santiago and Wilson Betemit starting tonight.
Jason Beck

I like it as well. I still think Peralta should be hitting 2nd or 3rd, but I guess I can't complain.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]I like it as well. I still think Peralta should be hitting 2nd or 3rd, but I guess I can't complain.
boesch has been in a little funk but the way young is smashing the ball you cant put him 3rd. great lineup and p.s. i hope jimmy didnt pull a hamstring after that sprint yestersay :)

looks like it will be a well matched game hopefully our bats dont go to the toilet and let JV down, but I think we may only need 1-2 runs to win this one

The rays are a playoffs worthy team and would be a first or close second place team in any other division.
This will be a tough test for the Tigers. I will be thrilled with a split of the 4 games. 3 wins would be a bonus.

Best lineup we can field IMO. Justin is due for a dominant performance, he hasn't had his best stuff since the game against LA.

justinrose74 said:
Raburn playing his best position again

Hahahhahahaaa

Seriously, I laughed so hard when I read that.

+1 to you Sir.

If I remember correctly we went into a similar series with the Rays in 09. I think we swept them and left the FLA with a 7 game lead and JV starting the first game against the lowly Royals. We got swept and the rest is history. Is my memory even close to being correct? Anyways, don't know why I brought all that up. Looking forward to seeing what JV will do tonight. Tigers usually give him pretty decent run support. Hope they can ride the MO from yesterday. Go Tigers.

jdbaker1 said:
If I remember correctly we went into a similar series with the Rays in 09. I think we swept them and left the FLA with a 7 game lead and JV starting the first game against the lowly Royals. We got swept and the rest is history. Is my memory even close to being correct? Anyways, don't know why I brought all that up. Looking forward to seeing what JV will do tonight. Tigers usually give him pretty decent run support. Hope they can ride the MO from yesterday. Go Tigers.

Just took a look at the 2009 schedule and....Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I forgot that they had that big of a lead on Sept. 6th. Lets hope history does not repeat itself.

Lineup change;
Martinez out,
Cabrera DH
Kelly 1B

It is not the knee on V-Mart. Lower back spasms.
Jason Beck.

Victor Martinez was scratched from Monday's lineup against the Rays due to lower back spasms.
It's probably safe to consider him day-to-day right now. Miguel Cabrera will now serve as the designated hitter while Don Kelly plays first base.
rotoworld

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Lineup change;
Martinez out,
Cabrera DH
Kelly 1B

It is not the knee on V-Mart. Lower back spasms.
Jason Beck.

Victor Martinez was scratched from Monday's lineup against the Rays due to lower back spasms.
It's probably safe to consider him day-to-day right now. Miguel Cabrera will now serve as the designated hitter while Don Kelly plays first base.
rotoworld

At least it's not Avila...

Anyone else going to be rooting for Casper Wells tonight?
tongue.png

I hope he jacks 4 right over the fence tonight, and fouls one right off Manny Acta's head.

MI_Thumb said:
tongue.png

I hope he jacks 4 right over the fence tonight, and fouls one right off Manny Acta's head.

Plus 1.

Wish it had been Clete and Iorg instead of Wells.

tough guy acta, he pulled something early in the year with the Yankees and then denied their pitcher threw at the new york batter. looked like a fight between him and Girardi.

MI_Thumb said:
tongue.png

he's up to 10 HR's now on the year. too bad we couldn't have kept him in RF and cut the 10 mil go a little early.

Back