Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. rays Game Thread August 24

tomdalton22 said:
kingofdetroit57 said:
Is the short love affair over with Inge yet? It was cute when he hit the HR the other night, but that play last night cost us the game. The fact that he said it was the only play there shows how stupid and arrogant he really is. Routine grounder to third with two outs almost always goes to first, no questions asked.
Actually, I see a 3B go to 2B more often than going to 1B. However, in this case with Santiago playing way back and the guy hustling to 2B the play was at 3B or 1B. As far as the love affair with Inge...I don't think anybody is in love with him. I still think that he is better defensively than WB.
I'll see the shortstop or 2B regularly go to second for the force, but the 3B almost always goes to first.

tomdalton22 said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]I don't buy this crap that it is ok to lose because the White Sox and Indians both lost.... Damn it... Keep winning and bury these team.. No is lead is safe with the Tigers.. Damn it Inge... Own your damn mistakes..
I think JL was right.....easier plays at 1B and 3B but that was because Santiago was playing very deep and the guy running from 1B was hustling his ass off. How many times do you see Tigers runners dogging it to 2B in that situation? More often than not the 3B will throw to 2B in that situation.....this time it didn't work for several reasons.

I'm not sure I see Tigers players dogging it on those situations. It was huge bad play. The 3B goes to first more often than not in that situation. Inge didn't even look at where Santiago and the runner were before he threw over. Another bone head play.

Inge was pretty defensive about it after the game. One of the many things about him that really annoys me.

Yeah just take ownership. Admit you had better options not "if I had to do all over again I would".

It is pretty common for the 3B to go to 2B in that situation.

Of course, whenever that happens it is always pretty close, and the umpires will usually call them out, even when the runner was safe, I know I've seen that happen a few times.

But it still doesn't make sense.

Why take the risk? The play at 2nd is always much, much closer than simply throwing to 1B in that situation, and you put the player covering 2nd in danger of getting taken out by the baserunner, it make be common, but it really makes no sense at all.

1st base is the much safer play than throwing to 2nd in that situation, each and every time.

No. Inge didn't account for how deep Sanchez was playing. You have to know the situations. It might happen a fair share going to 2nd, thought maybe not as much with a 3B, going to first is always safer. Of course Inge might have airmailed Miggy.

Back