Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Top 5 Worst Presidents

Not that I care because I really don't but the lot of you don't seem to be able to be reasoned..

1. James Buchanan (bent over backward for the South and some believed he committed near treason. His presidency helped lead to the Civil War).
2. Andrew Johnson (Interfered with Recon and is directly responsible for southern opp to the north and black rights. Had Lincoln lived, MLK may have been another preacher b/c he might not have been needed).
3. Franklin Pierce (policies led to civil war)
4. Jimmy Carter (misery index, inflation, high interest rates, double digit unemployment/inflation, Iran Hostage Crisis, Desert One).
5. Warren Harding (Mr. Scandal. Remarkably similar to Bill Clinton).
6. Millard Fillmore (Mr. Irrelevant)

The next 3: Obama, Van Buren, Ben Harrison

Obama's record is remarkably similar to Herbert Hoover's. I'd place BO alongside Hoover, Martin Van Buren, and Benjamin Harrison.

Obama and Hoover both faced econ crisis and failed miserably. BO's job numbers and numbers on housing are the worst since Hoover. BH's policies helped lead to a depression.

Ben Harrison was bad?

What about his gramps, William Henry?

He rescinded the job pretty quick.

Whoa, beyond that....how did I edit your post, instad of quoting it, like I inteded to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top 5:
1. Lincoln
2. Washington
3. FDR
4. T Roosevelt
5. Truman

Lincoln held the country together and set the country on course for emancipation. Also a very skilled pol.

Washington held the country together by force of will. The country nearly splintered, but ppl respected and trusted him (country almost broke apart after he left office).

FDR- Saved the banks and capitalism. Fended off the crazies on the left and right. Also saved Western civ during WWII

TR: Steered a middle course btw extremes as well. Had a long list of accomplishments.

Truman: Berlin Airlift, stood up to Russians, Containment, saved South Korea, desegregated the army, Marshall Plan, etc

Last edited:
Wow what's your reasoning behind FDR?

The New Deal saved the country, created jobs, increased the GDP 5 fold.

He also resisted the people who wanted to nationalize banks and railroads/timber industries. (Just in case you were going to call him a communist)

You may be the most narrow-minded, blind, racist/bigoted, mongoloid I have ever run into on the internet.

Yep, Not sure why FDR has appeared more than once in this thread... :shrug:

Not that I care because I really don't but the lot of you don't seem to be able to be reasoned..

Like you Mitch?

I mean you get scalded pretty regularly on the Tigers board with stats and numbers, I have yet to see you cave in...

Changing another human beings mind/opinions, makes going to the Moon look like childs play.

I am interested on which people you think have the reason though?

1. James Buchanan (bent over backward for the South and some believed he committed near treason. His presidency helped lead to the Civil War).
2. Andrew Johnson (Interfered with Recon and is directly responsible for southern opp to the north and black rights. Had Lincoln lived, MLK may have been another preacher b/c he might not have been needed).
3. Franklin Pierce (policies led to civil war)
4. Jimmy Carter (misery index, inflation, high interest rates, double digit unemployment/inflation, Iran Hostage Crisis, Desert One).
5. Warren Harding (Mr. Scandal. Remarkably similar to Bill Clinton).
6. Millard Fillmore (Mr. Irrelevant)

The next 3: Obama, Van Buren, Ben Harrison

Obama's record is remarkably similar to Herbert Hoover's. I'd place BO alongside Hoover, Martin Van Buren, and Benjamin Harrison.

Obama and Hoover both faced econ crisis and failed miserably. BO's job numbers and numbers on housing are the worst since Hoover. BH's policies helped lead to a depression.

Any next 3 that contains BO, but not GWB is horseshit.

You want to add Barry that's cool, but you have to put Bush either right in front or right behind or you're just sucking party line cock. :bs:

Like you Mitch?

I mean you get scalded pretty regularly on the Tigers board with stats and numbers, I have yet to see you cave in...

Changing another human beings mind/opinions, makes going to the Moon look like childs play.

I am interested on which people you think have the reason though?

Sorry, I have a knack of always being right. Its a gift and a curse..

Any next 3 that contains BO, but not GWB is horseshit.

You want to add Barry that's cool, but you have to put Bush either right in front or right behind or you're just sucking party line cock. :bs:

or perhaps I have studied all 44 presidencies and have perspective.

Well, perhaps I have a DeLorean time machine, and a metal suit that's powered by a small arc reactor in my chest.

Everyone thinks they have perspective. Your list is as subjective as anyone's. Unless there is some sort of benchmark, like economic growth, job numbers etc, it's all just opinion. Your list of the worst is just based on your political leanings. It should really be, who did what they campaigned on, meaning who was the best as furthering their agenda. Guys like Carter and Nixon would be incredibly low and guys like Reagan and Obama would be rated pretty highly.

And trying to compare the first few to the last few is pretty futile. It's like comparing Verlander to Cy Young, it's almost like an entirely different game.[/quote]

This is interesting; why would Nixon be rated so low? With the exception of being impeached, Nixon accomplished a lot of things he campaigned on too.

W would be high on the list based on some criteria; he campaigned on expanding the Federal government into education and medical benefits, and he did that, and he campaigned on establishing an illegal alien amnesty program, and his own party barely blocked him from accomplishing that.

He did campaign about being against "nation building," kinda came up short on that one.

Both Roosevelts put in place a lot of things they campaigned on.

George HW Bush would be low on the list, based on this criteria, he campaigned on no new taxes (read my lips), how did that work out for him?

Eisenhower campaigned basically on being Eisenhower, and he was Eisenhower as far as anybody could tell for the duration of his presidency.

Washington campaigned on not wanting the job at all, and throughout the duration of his presidency, he hated the job, so he stayed consistent on that.

Lincoln campaigned on not letting the South secede, he accomplished that.

William Henry Harrison campaigned on something and whatever it was the old dumbass got himself pneumonia and died from not wearing a hat or a coat for his innauguration one month after that event, so his presidency could probably be described as being an epic failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone thinks they have perspective. Your list is as subjective as anyone's. Unless there is some sort of benchmark, like economic growth, job numbers etc, it's all just opinion. Your list of the worst is just based on your political leanings. It should really be, who did what they campaigned on, meaning who was the best as furthering their agenda. Guys like Carter and Nixon would be incredibly low and guys like Reagan and Obama would be rated pretty highly.

And trying to compare the first few to the last few is pretty futile. It's like comparing Verlander to Cy Young, it's almost like an entirely different game.

This is interesting; why would Nixon be rated so low? With the exception of being impeached, Nixon accomplished a lot of things he campaigned on too.

W would be high on the list based on some criteria; he campaigned on expanding the Federal government into education and medical benefits, and he did that, and he campaigned on establishing an illegal alien amnesty program, and his own party barely blocked him from accomplishing that.

He did campaign about being against "nation building," kinda came up short on that one.

Both Roosevelts put in place a lot of things they campaigned on.

George HW Bush would be low on the list, based on this criteria, he campaigned on no new taxes (read my lips), how did that work out for him?

Eisenhower campaigned basically on being Eisenhower, and he was Eisenhower as far as anybody could tell for the duration of his presidency.

Washington campaigned on not wanting the job at all, and throughout the duration of his presidency, he hated the job, so he stayed consistent on that.

Lincoln campaigned on not letting the South secede, he accomplished that.

William Henry Harrison campaigned on something and whatever it was the old dumbass got himself pneumonia and died from not wearing a hat or a coat for his innauguration one month after that event, so his presidency could probably be described as being an epic failure.[/QUOTE]

My list is based on each dude's record. Most people are completely clueless of anyone before Clinton. If you notice, FDR and TRuman are on the best of list. So much for being partisan. I think I forgot Hoover on the worst of...if I did....my bad. Can't have Obama without Hoover.

Yet you ignored G. W. Bush's record.

Took a budget surplus and turned it into a deficit, had the economy fall into a recession, launched 2 very costly wars with no exit strategies.

Can't have Obama without Bush.

The thread title is a statement in contradiction, but here's mine, in no order.

Buchanan: Weakness personified, but the dye was cast already.
Wilson: Talk about bullshitting the people. Is elected because he pledged no involvement in the Great War, and then dives headfirst into the pile. A statist's statist.
Carter: Seriously? I have to explain?
Pierce: Never wanted the job, but the Kansas-Nebraska act and the Ostend Manifesto were bigger boneheaded plays then Marty Morninweg choosing the wind in OT against the Bears.
U.S. Grant: Superior general and person, too honest and transparent to be an effective president.

Grant liked to drink.

I don't know if you drink Byco, but I do recall a post from the past where you indicated you may have a time when put one or two back at the Cottage on occasion.

I feel like Jimmy Carter was undermined big time by the military and other lobbyist sleazebags in DC.

I mean, the guy was a freaking nuclear engineer in the Navy, a reasonable man, and a decent human being. of course he wasn't going to sign off on the orgy of defense spending and middle-class breaking initiatives DC wanted. so... enter that clown Reagan... a bad actor, and career glad-hander.

Back