Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade Rumors Castellanos to Cubs, Greene to Braves - signs with the Reds now Phillies

We're talking about Boyd here. Nonetheless, with Nick - why trade him for a bag of crap? You have another year to try to get him. Take a chance that he has another big year.. Nothing worse than getting ml fodder.

Apparently no offers last year worth going for. This year he costs 4m more, regressed offensively and is a 3 month rental. Fodder is all we can expect this year. I suspect a nick trade is 100% to save money on this year's bottom line.

We're talking about Boyd here. Nonetheless, with Nick - why trade him for a bag of crap? You have another year to try to get him. Take a chance that he has another big year.. Nothing worse than getting ml fodder.

And that is what we are getting. Fodder is all we get with Avila.

I'm very excited about the trade deadline . I'm expecting to get quite a few big time prospects/young players ( Torres :) ) ...for real tho with Boyd , we should hold out and ask for top notch . Hes been a completely different pitcher this year and has been quite dominant . As a lefty , with 3.5 years control left and a minimal salary , teams are gonna be bidding hard to acquire him .

Castellanos is heating up at the right time and any contender would love to add an impact bat . Greene is another one i'd expect a decent haul for and maybe even sent in a package with others .

Boyd's Last 6 Starts

34.3 IP 41 H 23 ER 12 HR 5 BB 54 SO 6.03 ERA 1.34 WHIP

Boyd is not a front of the order starter. Never has been. He is a 3 or 4. Just because he started 2019 great, doesn't negate his career norms. Hoping to get another's team best prospect for him is just plan ignorant.

Boyd, Castellanos and Greene ARE NOT top 50 players. You can expect a great return all you want, but other team's are laughing at our GM asking for the moon for these guys. We could have traded Fullmer last year, wanting more in return. Now we will be lucky to get anything of value. Castellanos not being traded by now is a terrible decision.

And that is what we are getting. Fodder is all we get with Avila.

Then what's the point in trading at all? Might as well just get a draft pick. Part of the reason our team is where it's at is because we trade stars away and get nothing in return. If we're not getting anything worth salt why help all these other teams? Fk them, I rather get nothing instead.

Boyd's Last 6 Starts

34.3 IP 41 H 23 ER 12 HR 5 BB 54 SO 6.03 ERA 1.34 WHIP

Boyd is not a front of the order starter. Never has been. He is a 3 or 4. Just because he started 2019 great, doesn't negate his career norms. Hoping to get another's team best prospect for him is just plan ignorant.

Boyd, Castellanos and Greene ARE NOT top 50 players. You can expect a great return all you want, but other team's are laughing at our GM asking for the moon for these guys. We could have traded Fullmer last year, wanting more in return. Now we will be lucky to get anything of value. Castellanos not being traded by now is a terrible decision.

LOL why do you always cherry pick stats to make an argument its so annoying ...and i forgot you're a saber dork . Look at Boy'd season as a whole and actually WATCH him pitch and you can see he's a totally different pitcher this year and his overall stats back that up .

I guarantee teams are lining up to try and get him , so its good to be patient and ask for the highest we can get .

Noone said these guys are top 50 players , that makes absolutely no difference . They arent up against the entire league , they are players who are listed as possible trade chips .

Do agree we should have traded Fulmer and Castellanos last year . Guess we shall see how it plays out

LOL why do you always cherry pick stats to make an argument its so annoying ...and i forgot you're a saber dork . Look at Boy'd season as a whole and actually WATCH him pitch and you can see he's a totally different pitcher this year and his overall stats back that up .

I guarantee teams are lining up to try and get him , so its good to be patient and ask for the highest we can get .

Noone said these guys are top 50 players , that makes absolutely no difference . They arent up against the entire league , they are players who are listed as possible trade chips .

Do agree we should have traded Fulmer and Castellanos last year . Guess we shall see how it plays out

So, no team ever scouts the players they are interested in? No team has analytics?

Then what's the point in trading at all? Might as well just get a draft pick. Part of the reason our team is where it's at is because we trade stars away and get nothing in return. If we're not getting anything worth salt why help all these other teams? Fk them, I rather get nothing instead.

Who is to say we are getting draft picks?

I am not saying you cannot trade them. I am saying asking for Gleber Torres is absurd, when Clint Frazier would do and get the deal done. You can add Chance Adams if you can get the Yankees to add him.

I would too, that is give another team nothing when we know Avila should have traded a couple of them in the last year or two, or settle for 'fodder' in trades like he has gotten for several.
But the problem here and why he works so well with Chris Ilitch is Ilitch doesn't want any players making more than a rookie minimum to 2/3 million a year tops, doesn't want to pay in arbitration, if he could get rid of Miggy's contract he would, same with Zimmersuck.
So Avila trades and gets some player, any player like he has just for the sake of dropping salary and future salary per Ilitch. Ilitch gives Avila the extension for doing his work,

Maintaining a small market payroll in a mid-market region is CI's goal....plus MLB revenus-sharing and media revenue=profits...even if the days of filling up, much less selling out CoPa are/will be long over.

He wants to emulate how the other ALCD rivals operate, but w/o having the necessary top-notch scouting, coaching and developmental-analytical personnel to make it all work.

Last edited:
Maybe Migwell could be traded, if the Tigers were to package him with Boyd and Greene, while agreeing to eat half of his remaining contract, and only getting back a couple of middling prospects and a PTBNL.

I wonder how hard the Yankees brass laughed when Al asked for Torres

According to MLB.com, Detroit's asking price for Boyd is "believed to include multiple impact prospects, similar to what the White Sox received from the Cubs for Jose Quintana two years ago with similar years of control remaining."

To recap that Quintana deal from 2017 - the White Sox received two top-100 prospects, including outfielder Eloy Jimenez, and two other players from the Cubs.

It's nearly unimaginable that the Yankees would part with Torres, and Detroit probably knows that, but you can't blame the Tigers for shooting for the moon early in negotiations.

This^^^^ i swear i think idiots here hope we get "garbage" in return just so they can bitch about how bad everyone is and everything the Tigers do . Pathetic fanbase

Everyone bitches about the crap we got back for JD, and Verlander etc.. and now you complain about Avila asking for too much. I hope he asks for a ton.

Everyone bitches about the crap we got back for JD, and Verlander etc.. and now you complain about Avila asking for too much. I hope he asks for a ton.

Seriously? You are comparing Boyd and Castellanos to Verlander and J.D.?

Seriously? You are comparing Boyd and Castellanos to Verlander and J.D.?

Did I say I was? Or did you forget how to understand. But they shouldn't just ask for a bucket of fries. The JD trade was ridiculous. Verlander not much better. Whatever a fair deal is try for it instead of just trading them to get rid of them.

I guarantee some on here will complain what we got if they are traded. Especially Boyd.

Back