Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade Rumors Castellanos to Cubs, Greene to Braves - signs with the Reds now Phillies

Did I say I was? Or did you forget how to understand. But they shouldn't just ask for a bucket of fries. The JD trade was ridiculous. Verlander not much better. Whatever a fair deal is try for it instead of just trading them to get rid of them.

I think they got a good return for JV. JD, not so much.

Did I say I was? Or did you forget how to understand. But they shouldn't just ask for a bucket of fries. The JD trade was ridiculous. Verlander not much better. Whatever a fair deal is try for it instead of just trading them to get rid of them.

People assume Chris Illitch wants to make trades that make us better. If that can happen, great. But his #1 concern is lowering payroll. So if he has to accept a trade that isn't great but moves millions off the books, then for him, that is a win. He saved millions moving JD. He will save a few million trading Nick. Boyd is cheap this year, so he's not going to save much pushing him out the door. Ask for the moon. Might get it, especially if a front line starter is injured between now and the deadline.

People assume Chris Illitch wants to make trades that make us better. If that can happen, great. But his #1 concern is lowering payroll. So if he has to accept a trade that isn't great but moves millions off the books, then for him, that is a win. He saved millions moving JD. He will save a few million trading Nick. Boyd is cheap this year, so he's not going to save much pushing him out the door. Ask for the moon. Might get it, especially if a front line starter is injured between now and the deadline.

They weren't going to sign JD after the 2017 season, so moving him wasn't to save money that year, but to get something for him before he left for free agency. If he REALLY wanted to save money, he would have tried to move him prior to the start of the 2017 season.

Now, moving JV, that was about money, and it was the right move given their plan to re-build.

this board...there is always someone complaining!

Yes, and we're all part of it. It's a sports board after all. Just saying we need to ask for high so we can get at least middle. My Dad used to tell me if you're hoping to get at least a C on a test that's all you're going to get.

OK Mitch, maybe you need to moderate yourself.

Asking for Gleber Torres is over the top the other direction. Another team is not even going to take you serious when you do that. We would have to part with Mize if we are asking for Torres. Think about it.

Asking for Gleber Torres is over the top the other direction. Another team is not even going to take you serious when you do that. We would have to part with Mize if we are asking for Torres. Think about it.

no kidding. A 22 year old SECOND BASEMEN that is hitting .290, OBP of .360 and 19 HRs at the break.

Castellanos's trade is the only one that will dent the payroll. The other players making more than a million who will be back next year are limited. Norris and Hardy. The rest, I doubt that any of them are back.

(Cabrera and Zimmerman excepted)

Last edited:
Castellanos's trade is the only one that will dent the payroll. The other players making more than a million who will be back next year are limited. Norris and Hardy. The rest, I doubt that any of them are back.

(Cabrera and Zimmerman excepted)

Exactly. Which is why I'm fine not trading Boyd now. Trading him doesn't really save much $, but it should make us a lot better prospect wise. I don't see him as a part of our long term plan so I do think he gets traded, I just hope they don't wait too long. If not this deadline I would have to say definitely in the off season. Too risky holding him any longer than that, IMO. Trading Nick is not going to make us much if any better prospect wise, but it will save tight wad Illitch 4-5 million.

Exactly. Which is why I'm fine not trading Boyd now. Trading him doesn't really save much $, but it should make us a lot better prospect wise. I don't see him as a part of our long term plan so I do think he gets traded, I just hope they don't wait too long. If not this deadline I would have to say definitely in the off season. Too risky holding him any longer than that, IMO. Trading Nick is not going to make us much if any better prospect wise, but it will save tight wad Illitch 4-5 million.

so you don't want to trade Nick because you think it would be to "just" save money?

so you don't want to trade Nick because you think it would be to "just" save money?

I could really care less, I don't see it as a move that will make us any better or worse. If they find a suitor offering a decent low level prospect, then awesome. But I think the fact he didn't get traded last year speaks volumes. I don't really care one way or another.

Boyd is a 28-year old starter with not much of a track record. He is smack dab in the middle of his prime. Aside from starting red hot, his last 6 starts have been horrendous. I am not sure his value could get much higher if you don't trade him. His value could tank (ala 2019 Castellanos). Look at Fulmer. Avilla wanted too much for him, when he could have done a a deal last year. Castellanos' peak value was last year. Now, in his walk year, his value probably couldn't be much lower. Who wants a Okay bat, not elite, and no defense player? He is slightly better the the average AL DH (average AL DH OPS = .782, Miggy is .784 OPS as DH).

Now, back to Boyd. We are not talking about a 23-year old with 3 more years of control entering his peak years. We have a 28-year old, who would be out of his peak years. Players have "outliers" in their careers. Darin Erstad's .355 BAVG to name one. Who's to say that 2019 isn't Boyd's outlier? If a team wants to give you players, great. But asking for Torres in just plain stupid. He is primarily a SS and switched back to 2B when Gregorius returned. He is huge for a premium position.

DET Offensive OPS Rank

C = 15th
1B = 14th
2B = 14th
SS = 13th
3B = 13th
LF = 14th
CF = 10th
RF = 12th
DH = 11th

I didn't even mention Torres. Just saying it's best to ask for more up front and then maybe you get something decent down the line.

Boyd is a 28-year old starter with not much of a track record. He is smack dab in the middle of his prime. Aside from starting red hot, his last 6 starts have been horrendous. I am not sure his value could get much higher if you don't trade him. His value could tank (ala 2019 Castellanos). Look at Fulmer. Avilla wanted too much for him, when he could have done a a deal last year. Castellanos' peak value was last year. Now, in his walk year, his value probably couldn't be much lower. Who wants a Okay bat, not elite, and no defense player? He is slightly better the the average AL DH (average AL DH OPS = .782, Miggy is .784 OPS as DH).

Now, back to Boyd. We are not talking about a 23-year old with 3 more years of control entering his peak years. We have a 28-year old, who would be out of his peak years. Players have "outliers" in their careers. Darin Erstad's .355 BAVG to name one. Who's to say that 2019 isn't Boyd's outlier? If a team wants to give you players, great. But asking for Torres in just plain stupid. He is primarily a SS and switched back to 2B when Gregorius returned. He is huge for a premium position.

DET Offensive OPS Rank

C = 15th
1B = 14th
2B = 14th
SS = 13th
3B = 13th
LF = 14th
CF = 10th
RF = 12th
DH = 11th

I can see a team going after Boyd, not so much for the playoffs, but to solidify their rotation in order to get them to the playoffs. He will also be attractive to a team that may have some higher priced pitchers and he would fit in nicely to supplement their rotation over the next few years due to him being under team control.

I would be shocked if the Tigers get a top prospect from any team. My guess is some team will give the Tigers a prospect that would be ranked (in their system) between 5-10 and kick in a few others in the 20-30 range.

Guys like Isaac Paredes or Daz Cameron.

trading away a major league ready player should get you at least one in return! AT LEAST one, a minor and a bench type, player. I mean your giving a player, that should change there changes of winning it all. You should get something in return that can help you soon.
Tigers have been taken for a ride in too many trades lately with aa doing the trades.

I didn't even mention Torres. Just saying it's best to ask for more up front and then maybe you get something decent down the line.

You are defending Avila asking for their best player and Torres is exactly who Avila asked for from the Yankees. He did the some thing last season with Castellanos and got no where. Now, even if Castellanos is traded, it is for less value than what he would have gotten in a lesser deal last year.

You are defending Avila asking for their best player and Torres is exactly who Avila asked for from the Yankees. He did the some thing last season with Castellanos and got no where. Now, even if Castellanos is traded, it is for less value than what he would have gotten in a lesser deal last year.

Again you're reading something that isn't there. When did I say best player? Go ahead I'll give you time to find it.. I said aim high I never said best player.

Back