Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trumpgret

There was substantial resistence to FDR from Wall Street and business leaders, and the military. but he did work with business more than against it; and eventually military leadership got a big war to keep them busy.
They managed to keep him from expanding the Supreme Court to 15 people.

Kind of surprised Trump isn't pushing that idea now.

Last edited:
But they reversed the policy. Dance around it all you like.

So? They caved to political pressure. That doesn’t make securing the border any less essential. And I’m not dancing around anything.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for you to explain how long division isn't a thing.
That would be another sign that you're struggling to keep up.

Here's your post:
http://www.detroitsportsforum.com/showpost.php?p=968206&postcount=63
I think you mean division, not subtraction. Long division at that, but it is still pretty simple. And didn't you just say, in your previous post that Italy wasn't adequately testing? Now you're asking everyone to rely on their positive test count?
You think this problem isn't just division, it's long division. I was curious as to what you think makes this problem specifically a long division problem as opposed to any other kind of division. It would be cool if there was a good reason for the distinction, but I don't think there is. Why you want to bring this back up is beyond me.

dang, you're right. I'm getting old.

"The money power preys upon the nation in time of peace and conspires against it in times of adversity. It is more despotic than monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, more selfish than bureaucracy. I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me, and causes me to tremble for the safety of our country. Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people, until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the republic is destroyed."​

120px-Lincoln's_signature.jpg
... shortly after the National Bank Act was passed in 1863.

This is what, in my opinion, got him assassinated. Rather prescient, too, but this prediction came to pass within a few years after he issued it, and it's not yet been fulfilled 100 percent, but it's inevitable.

"The money power preys upon the nation in time of peace and conspires against it in times of adversity. It is more despotic than monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, more selfish than bureaucracy. I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me, and causes me to tremble for the safety of our country. Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people, until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the republic is destroyed."​
120px-Lincoln's_signature.jpg
... shortly after the National Bank Act was passed in 1863.

This is what, in my opinion, got him assassinated. Rather prescient, too, but this prediction came to pass within a few years after he issued it, and it's not yet been fulfilled 100 percent, but it's inevitable.

I think it was close to being fulfilled. FDR's administration, and the higher taxes on capital and income, redistributed more fairly to the people who produced them (i.e. wage workers who build things) in the form of better public education, public health, and public works, AND better enforced anti-trust laws that kept finance's constant push to monopolize industries and markets under chekc temporarily delayed the doom Lincoln foresaw.

The groundwork was laid by big business and capital in the 70's, and came to fruition under Reagan. It's continued, unabated under every president since then, and both parties are essentially controlled by capital now.

To me, a lot more makes sense if you start thinking of the US as a one-party state. There are a handful of politicians on the left, and a few on the right that buck the trend. The "Capital Party" typically aligns against them. It's been interesting to see who the DNC primaried (i.e. who the DNC is backing directly with their on funds)... AOC (who easily survived), heavy push against Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib in MI, and Ed Markey in MA.

On the Right, Justin Amash decided not to run & left the party completely. I'm obviously not as familiar with what's going on in Republican politics, but reading about the scandal in Ohio has been somewhat illuminating. I'm really surprised by teh indictments; I didn't know anyone still cared to oppose open corruption and big business just buying up state legislatures anymore.

I'm obviously not as familiar with what's going on in Republican politics

One of the things I think might push towards a shift in Republican politics is that I think this is the last election where the crop of new young voters will be more than 50% white.

Maybe another 1 or 2 after this one, not sure. But either was it's close.

Last edited:
That would be another sign that you're struggling to keep up.

Here's your post:
http://www.detroitsportsforum.com/showpost.php?p=968206&postcount=63

You think this problem isn't just division, it's long division. I was curious as to what you think makes this problem specifically a long division problem as opposed to any other kind of division. It would be cool if there was a good reason for the distinction, but I don't think there is. Why you want to bring this back up is beyond me.

the same reason every other long division problem isn't a short division problem - because the divisor has more than a single digit. Why am I surprised that you're taking what was an obviously sarcastic post making fun of something stupid someone else said and going on for pages about a minor nit. Somehow you think I'm the one having trouble keeping up. Well done - again. And that's why I keep bringing it up - someone too thick to understand obvious sarcasm has no business trying to insult other posters the way you're trying to.

Let me explain the saracasm - see Hughes doesn't even know which operation to use, calling for subtraction when talking about rates. I'm using sarcasm to make fun of him for not knowing that AND then I lay the sarcasm on extra thick by telling him he will find it even harder because it's actually long division - you may not be aware of this but it's a common complaint from elementary school kids learning division, that long division is hard. It's not really hard, just slightly harder and I was just making fun of him basically saying most 3rd graders know math better than him. But thankfully, you were there to stick up for him and show me what's up.

Last edited:
the same reason every other long division problem isn't a short division problem - because the divisor has more than a single digit.

Was that so hard? Don't blame me for dragging it out, you dragged it out even after I had dropped it.

funny thing, I didn't even know what short division was until this thread.

I must be old.

funny thing, I didn't even know what short division was until this thread.

I must be old.

Knowing the difference between short and long division is the reason those guys on Wall Street make the big bucks.

They learn it by studying "hard sciences" like... uh... "business administration."

Knowing the difference between short and long division is the reason those guys on Wall Street make the big bucks.

They learn it by studying "hard sciences" like... uh... "business administration."

I'm a long-division man. I like to take my time. And all them little numbers get in the way.

On the Right, Justin Amash decided not to run & left the party completely. I'm obviously not as familiar with what's going on in Republican politics, but reading about the scandal in Ohio has been somewhat illuminating. I'm really surprised by teh indictments; I didn't know anyone still cared to oppose open corruption and big business just buying up state legislatures anymore.

Several other states are subsidizing their nuclear powerplants, it seems. Link-a-saurus

Back