Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

USC, UCLA May Join B1G

It?s kind of like when your mistress and your wife find out about each other.

Instead of them both dumping you?they decide everybody moves in together, instead.

For the money.

It?s like a weird real housewives of LA meets the real housewives of the Midwest moshup.

Wait, what?

Beach volleyball and water polo are NOT coming to the B1G?

What the hell is the point of the whole thing?

Just insanity. As I?ve gotten older I?ve liked sports in general a lot less than I did as a kid as I?ve become a cynical bastard now, and it?s things like this that are the reason.

Same here. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to bother watching college football (other than the occasional MAC game); next year might be the last season for me when it comes to watching Power Five teams. I didn't watch any games in 2020 and found that I didn't really miss it.

I'm so excited for this! Why? I'm based in California, and while LA is a long drive, it's close enough for me. Almost every year, we should be playing one of the LA teams, which means every year or two I can plan a weekend trip to LA to watch live in either the coliseum or the Rose Bowl and I won't have to pay the outrageous price of a bowl game ticket.

Also imagining USC slugging their asses out to ohio, wisconsin, or Michigan in November makes me very excited.

One of the best football schools in history and one of the best basketball schools of all time are joining our conference. Forget the absurdity of the distance. This is a great thing for our conference. USC might not be UsC of old, but they still recruit well and with Riley, they might give the Big 10 football scene one more power.

I'm so excited for this! Why? I'm based in California, and while LA is a long drive, it's close enough for me. Almost every year, we should be playing one of the LA teams, which means every year or two I can plan a weekend trip to LA to watch live in either the coliseum or the Rose Bowl and I won't have to pay the outrageous price of a bowl game ticket.

Also imagining USC slugging their asses out to ohio, wisconsin, or Michigan in November makes me very excited.

One of the best football schools in history and one of the best basketball schools of all time are joining our conference. Forget the absurdity of the distance. This is a great thing for our conference. USC might not be UsC of old, but they still recruit well and with Riley, they might give the Big 10 football scene one more power.

PM me your celly when you?re coming and we can text during the game when Michigan plays here.

Or we can just post on the game thread.

Amongst football, basketball, softball and baseball I?ve seen Michigan teams play in the Southland well over a dozen times.

I went to a basketball pre-game party in Westwood MichLady put together for the alumni club - that was before I was on any of these boards. I bought my wife quite a bit of jewelry that day. Maybe I drank too much.

Oh, and I traveled to Phoenix to see a bowl game during the Brady Hoke era. I met up with Vic GoBlueBigJohn is his handle or something, I think.

Didn?t I ask you to come to SoCal for two western basketball regionals Michigan played in?

Maybe you you were busy or things were different for you, I don?t know.

Anyways, I think I?m just gonna stay home and watch on TV going forward.

We are headed toward 3 or 4 super leagues with 20 teams in it.

there are 64 teams in the power 5. It makes perfect sense to create 4 conferences that each have 16 teams. Two 8 team divisions in each conference.

Big 10 and SEC would be two of them.

Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC could fight it out to see which conference gets the boot.

That?s too simple. And it makes too much sense.

And it would suddenly create a rivalry out of whole cloth from the USC v UCLA game a regular season ending rivalry game that could be tied in marketing wise with the Ohio State v Michigan rivalry as a major television event, which has never been allowed to happen ever in the history of televised sports ever.

You may be on to something but I think you should consider another angle - maybe the B1G would see this as an opportunity to boost the uofm/OSU game. I could see the marketing campaigns now - something along the lines of "Tune into the "Xth" meeting of the Buckeyes and wolverines this Saturday in Columbus/Ann Arbor - at least it's not an over-hyped game between TWO bad teams at the same time like USC vs UCLA."

You may be on to something but I think you should consider another angle - maybe the B1G would see this as an opportunity to boost the uofm/OSU game. I could see the marketing campaigns now - something along the lines of "Tune into the "Xth" meeting of the Buckeyes and wolverines this Saturday in Columbus/Ann Arbor - at least it's not an over-hyped game between TWO bad teams at the same time like USC vs UCLA."

Funny.

The day the event of USC and UCLA coming to join the Big Ten occurred, I wore my 100th anniversary of the Ohio State Michigan commemorative T-shirt to help mark the occasion.

I've been annoyed and losing interest with every expansion of the conference starting in the mid 90s with PSU. Now with outrageous TV contracts, conference networks and NIL, college football and basketball are turning me off from both sports the same way the over-commercialization of professional sports turned me off from all of them.

If it truly is do "X" or die or because everyone else is doing it, maybe doing "X" isn't really the better alternative. I don't think any of these expansions or other money grabs have made the sports better. Have they enhanced the Universities in a meaningful way that we don't see while watching games on TV or in the stadiums?

Last edited:
PM me your celly when you?re coming and we can text during the game when Michigan plays here.

Or we can just post on the game thread.

Amongst football, basketball, softball and baseball I?ve seen Michigan teams play in the Southland well over a dozen times.

I went to a basketball pre-game party in Westwood MichLady put together for the alumni club - that was before I was on any of these boards. I bought my wife quite a bit of jewelry that day. Maybe I drank too much.

Oh, and I traveled to Phoenix to see a bowl game during the Brady Hoke era. I met up with Vic GoBlueBigJohn is his handle or something, I think.

Didn?t I ask you to come to SoCal for two western basketball regionals Michigan played in?

Maybe you you were busy or things were different for you, I don?t know.

Anyways, I think I?m just gonna stay home and watch on TV going forward.

Just had a lot going on at that time. My life has been a roller coaster the last few years

Oh, God?this guy again.

Maybe he should spend a little more time in Florida and try to convince the University of Miami and/or Florida State how much better off they would be if they joined the Pac 10.

University of California regents (not sure if there is only one board for the whole UC system or this is just UCLA's regents) voted to approve UCLA's move to the Big Ten 11-5, "with conditions." (link)

Basically, they have to pay money to the UC system each year, and pay more toward athlete support programs.

I hate this whole idea. It's probably good for some people in some ways (to the extent they've finagled it so they personally benefit from more TV revenue), but it's bad for a lot more people. I think it's going to have more negative affects that people won't realize. It's unquestionably bad for the remaining Pac-12 schools.

Maybe more frequent long distance air travel won't be as big of a deal for football, but 3-4 hour flights a couple times a week for basketball? How is that going to work for what are ostensibly full time college students?

I also remember people saying the Red Wings were at a big disadvantage all those years they were in the NHL West, b/c it's harder to fly west and compete, than it is to fly east, simply because of the time zone change affecting your body (your day starts earlier in the east). Not as big of a deal going from Eastern to Central, but now, going from Eastern to Western?

Back