Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

USC, UCLA May Join B1G

University of California regents (not sure if there is only one board for the whole UC system or this is just UCLA's regents) voted to approve UCLA's move to the Big Ten 11-5, "with conditions." (link)

Basically, they have to pay money to the UC system each year, and pay more toward athlete support programs.

I hate this whole idea. It's probably good for some people in some ways (to the extent they've finagled it so they personally benefit from more TV revenue), but it's bad for a lot more people. I think it's going to have more negative affects that people won't realize. It's unquestionably bad for the remaining Pac-12 schools.

Maybe more frequent long distance air travel won't be as big of a deal for football, but 3-4 hour flights a couple times a week for basketball? How is that going to work for what are ostensibly full time college students?

I also remember people saying the Red Wings were at a big disadvantage all those years they were in the NHL West, b/c it's harder to fly west and compete, than it is to fly east, simply because of the time zone change affecting your body (your day starts earlier in the east). Not as big of a deal going from Eastern to Central, but now, going from Eastern to Western?

It feels unnatural. My sense is B1G natives - this comes pretty much just from this board - feel the same. People in SoCal seem to be liking it.

I?m not sure how long it?s going to last.

Damn, the B1G seems to have gotten powerful, don?t it?

Coast to coast now.

Sea to shining sea.

Who?da thunk?

I also remember people saying the Red Wings were at a big disadvantage all those years they were in the NHL West, b/c it's harder to fly west and compete, than it is to fly east, simply because of the time zone change affecting your body (your day starts earlier in the east). Not as big of a deal going from Eastern to Central, but now, going from Eastern to Western?

Huh? The Wings won four SCs as a NHL West team. The biggest challenge was for fans to stay up during the playoffs and go to work the next day. I wish they were still in the NHL West. That's where all the old 80s and 90s Norris Division (Blackhawks, Blues, and Stars) teams still are, with the exception of Toronto. (and Tampa Bay for one year).

Last edited:
I think that I mention that I had a 30-minute 1:1 with Ron Mason at Metro Airport on NYE when MSU was in Dallas getting trounced by Alabama. He mentioned to me that the B1G was going to expand to 16 teams at some point and that even Florida and Texas were interested. Louisville, too, but Mason said that would never happen because they "didn't observe the standards" of the Big Ten. Never expected that USC and UCLA would join.

University of California regents (not sure if there is only one board for the whole UC system or this is just UCLA's regents) voted to approve UCLA's move to the Big Ten 11-5, "with conditions." (link)

Basically, they have to pay money to the UC system each year, and pay more toward athlete support programs.

I hate this whole idea. It's probably good for some people in some ways (to the extent they've finagled it so they personally benefit from more TV revenue), but it's bad for a lot more people. I think it's going to have more negative affects that people won't realize. It's unquestionably bad for the remaining Pac-12 schools.

Maybe more frequent long distance air travel won't be as big of a deal for football, but 3-4 hour flights a couple times a week for basketball? How is that going to work for what are ostensibly full time college students?

it will work itself out. My guess is current recruits are taking this into consideration, and if they think the travel is a burden, they just won't go there.

Huh? The Wings won three SCs as a NHL West team. The biggest challenge was for fans to stay up during the playoffs and go to work the next day. I wish they were still in the NHL West. That's where all the old 80s and 90s Norris Division (Blackhawks, Blues, and Stars) teams still are, with the exception of Toronto. (and Tampa Bay for one year).

I recall the theory being that they should have won more than 3 all those years, and the argument being backed up with some stats, e.g. the winning percentage of eastern teams generally, vs. their record playing out west was worse than that of western teams playing road games in the east.

I could be misremembering this though

it will work itself out. My guess is current recruits are taking this into consideration, and if they think the travel is a burden, they just won't go there.

Yes, 18 year old boys are famously contemplative, and weigh risks very maturely, and not like based on which place has the cheapest beer and girls with the biggest tits.

I'm sure it will work itself out... when it collapses.

Yes, 18 year old boys are famously contemplative, and weigh risks very maturely, and not like based on which place has the cheapest beer and girls with the biggest tits.

I'm sure it will work itself out... when it collapses.

If they are looking for the cheapest beer, they won't even consider USC or UCLA.

I recall the theory being that they should have won more than 3 all those years, and the argument being backed up with some stats, e.g. the winning percentage of eastern teams generally, vs. their record playing out west was worse than that of western teams playing road games in the east.

I could be misremembering this though

They actually won four in the NHL West, and when they lost prior to the Finals, I don't recall plane legs being a factor.

here's an abstract of a study.

so all things being equal, you'd expect to play worse when traveling west, and lose more often, especially if they let USC or UCLA hold night games against Eastern teams.

Of course if you're good enough, it won't matter, but adding a loss here or there sucks, esp. given how good you have to be nearly perfect to make the playoffs some years

Going to add a significant degree of difficulty to winning the conference from the B1G East.

Last edited by a moderator:
here's an abstract of a study.

so all things being equal, you'd expect to play worse when traveling west, and lose more often, especially if they let USC or UCLA hold night games against Eastern teams.

Of course if you're good enough, it won't matter, but adding a loss here or there sucks, esp. given how good you have to be nearly perfect to make the playoffs some years

Going to add a significant degree of difficulty to winning the conference from the B1G East.

First, I am making the assumption that the two CA teams will be in the west which would mean that one of the other teams in the west would move to the east. Right now they play 6 teams from the east and 3 from the west. When they add the 8th team to the division it would most likely be 7 teams from the east and 2 from the west. Second, I would assume that most of the time a Big East team is only going to play one of the two CA teams in a single year, the majority of the years, none. Third, 1/2 of the time you play a CA team, it will be at home.

Adding the two CA teams won't make it much more difficult to win the east, if at all.

I think they should've found a way to make the Pac XII an offer of becoming like the "Big Ten West," or held out and brought enough Pac XII teams to have a bigger footprint west of the rockies so they could mostly play eachother, instead of poaching only the two biggest malcontents, and now you have a midwestern conference with an LA chapter, with a lot more travel involved for everyone (during an ongoing pandemic..)

First, I am making the assumption that the two CA teams will be in the west which would mean that one of the other teams in the west would move to the east. Right now they play 6 teams from the east and 3 from the west. When they add the 8th team to the division it would most likely be 7 teams from the east and 2 from the west. Second, I would assume that most of the time a Big East team is only going to play one of the two CA teams in a single year, the majority of the years, none. Third, 1/2 of the time you play a CA team, it will be at home.

Adding the two CA teams won't make it much more difficult to win the east, if at all.

and that's just in football. what about other sports?

if USC has back to back games against Rutgers and Maryland, they're going to have transcontinental flights twice in a week? in college, with classes and exams? sounds like a nightmare.

It only works if you prioritize sports over all other concerns, especially the notion that these kids don't deserve a salary because they get a free education.

Maybe it works out, but other things have to give if it does.

if USC has back to back games against Rutgers and Maryland, they're going to have transcontinental flights twice in a week? in college, with classes and exams? sounds like a nightmare.

It only works if you prioritize sports over all other concerns, especially the notion that these kids don't deserve a salary because they get a free education.

Wait, what?

What Disney channel high school musical have you been living in?

Also, NIL makes the big sport athletes like CIA covert operatives.

Technically, their salaries don?t exist.

I thought you were talking about football

I thought you were talking about football

well, the abstract I cited looked at the NHL, NFL and one other pro sport. And I was saying it's harder to win going west, but also noting that the "it's only a game or two for most teams in football" reasoning doesn't apply to other mens and womens sports

well, the abstract I cited looked at the NHL, NFL and one other pro sport. And I was saying it's harder to win going west, but also noting that the "it's only a game or two for most teams in football" reasoning doesn't apply to other mens and womens sports

gotcha.

Those other sports don't matter anyway. The only college sport that really matters is football.

gotcha.

Those other sports don't matter anyway. The only college sport that really matters is football.

in a sense youre right. I probably spend maybe 5% as much time on other college sports.

but the administrators have to account for all of them, and I'm thinking if it
gets untenable for some sports, it will have negative affects overall, and that will be bad for college football and college football fans like you and I.

It shouldn't be a problem with travel. I'll give a great example, our own Wolverine Baseball and Softball teams. Look at all places these 2 go because they cant play in Michigan when the season starts. The guys are always going west for a bunch of games and the girls are doing the same. They bring their homework with them. There's no reason to think the boys and girls at USC and UCLA cant do the same.

Every trip to Rutgers, Maryland, or both, will have this circumstance. Unless they stop in AA and EL for a true road swing. Then, it's an experience.

Last edited:
Back