Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Welp, We're Going To Need A New HC

I can see this. After the 'not feelin' the love' interview with Dave Brandon that didn't result in him coming back to Michigan earlier, I can definitely see an interview turning south.

If it's coming from a Vikings beat writer, consider it the Vikings' take on the situation. Hard to know what really happened, without actually being there. Could just be "not a great fit" without either side being at fault. But then you wonder why they're trying to make it sound like he dropped the ball at the interview, and the Vikings owners' (who don't exactly run a well-oiled machine there) are the ones who had their shit together.

Seems like in both coaching searches and romantic relationships, the side that goes on the offensive slinging mud is usually bitter it didn't go their way, and projecting. jilted lovers, man...

I remember Harbaugh getting a lot of bad press about the 49ers situation too, and them trying to pin performance issues on HIM, but they were a shitty franchise before he got there, and they were shitty for the next four seasons after he left. Pretty easy to see who was the problem there.

What I don't understand is why MSU fans seem to hate him so much. Maybe it's just a difference of opinion on how to do things? But if you think he sucks and you've "owned" him, why care? Maybe on some level they know thumping their chest over a 4-3 record vs. Harbaugh, when one of the 4 was a muffed punt with 00:00 left, and another was a garbage 27-24 win during the pandemic season, is going to come back to bite them? Add all those seven games together, and we've outscored them 187-145.

It's kinda like the ND rivalry since 2000... their wins are ugly, close-scoring affairs, often involving extremely lucky breaks... our wins are easy, and frequently total blow outs.

i was never overly impressed with Gattis to be honest. His concepts are basic at best. Combination of losing him and McDonald in the same off season isnt easy to overcome...especially this late in the offseason....but there are better than gattis out there.

i was never overly impressed with Gattis to be honest. His concepts are basic at best. Combination of losing him and McDonald in the same off season isnt easy to overcome...especially this late in the offseason....but there are better than gattis out there.

Broyles award and best offense since Jim got here would say otherwise. There may be better out there but finding them is the problem.

I'm kinda happy we lost Gattis.

I assume, from Mike Hart's and Harbaugh's comments after Rutgers, fans should put their "Why do we keep running up the gut when it's not working?" frustration on Gattis.

Broyles award and best offense since Jim got here would say otherwise. There may be better out there but finding them is the problem.

Sometimes personnel can do wonders. Howd his offense do the year prior? We had legit weapons in the pass game that rarely showed up in Anthony and All. If im the 2 of them....im ecstatic Gattis is gone.

Haskins and Corum making plays can quickly make you look like a genious....when in reality it was just a simple trap play. Michigan is expected to trot out a top 5 OL in college football in 2022....if Edwards is made the bell cow and Corum the change of pace guy....i can guarantee you without even knowing who the new guy is....youre going to see similar production.

If it's coming from a Vikings beat writer, consider it the Vikings' take on the situation. Hard to know what really happened, without actually being there. Could just be "not a great fit" without either side being at fault. But then you wonder why they're trying to make it sound like he dropped the ball at the interview, and the Vikings owners' (who don't exactly run a well-oiled machine there) are the ones who had their shit together.

Seems like in both coaching searches and romantic relationships, the side that goes on the offensive slinging mud is usually bitter it didn't go their way, and projecting. jilted lovers, man...

I remember Harbaugh getting a lot of bad press about the 49ers situation too, and them trying to pin performance issues on HIM, but they were a shitty franchise before he got there, and they were shitty for the next four seasons after he left. Pretty easy to see who was the problem there.

What I don't understand is why MSU fans seem to hate him so much. Maybe it's just a difference of opinion on how to do things? But if you think he sucks and you've "owned" him, why care? Maybe on some level they know thumping their chest over a 4-3 record vs. Harbaugh, when one of the 4 was a muffed punt with 00:00 left, and another was a garbage 27-24 win during the pandemic season, is going to come back to bite them? Add all those seven games together, and we've outscored them 187-145.

It's kinda like the ND rivalry since 2000... their wins are ugly, close-scoring affairs, often involving extremely lucky breaks... our wins are easy, and frequently total blow outs.

The annoying thing about the guy is how Michigan fans fawn over him and the media has story after story about the dumb shit he does and says. When it comes to winning meaningful games, his record is beyond pathetic.

As for the record against MSU, you forgot the excuse for 2017 because it rained during the game and this year that the replay calls weren't what you wanted. When you look at it like that, he should be 7-0

Maybe Jim can have a in person interview with The new OC this time and not a phone interview lol. I am glad that Jim , Gattis and the team won the Big Ten this season. Being the the best team in the Big Ten and still being way behind The top SEC teams is frustrating.

Please get on the NIL bandwagon !

I wish Gattis well but he drove me crazy with his Red Zone Playbook. Glad they finally got over the hump and made the final four last season. Only three big ten teams have done that. Osu, Msu and finally Michigan. Defense will need some work so hopefully the offense can score a lot of points next season. Hire someone good Jim !

Last edited:
Maybe Jim can have a in person interview with The new OC this time and not a phone interview lol. I am glad that Jim , Gattis and the team won the Big Ten this season. Being the the best team in the Big Ten and still being way behind The top SEC teams is frustrating.

Please get on the NIL bandwagon !

I wish Gattis well but he drove me crazy with his Red Zone Playbook. Glad they finally got over the hump and made the final four last season. Only three big ten teams have done that. Osu, Msu and finally Michigan. Defense will need some work so hopefully the offense can score a lot of points next season. Hire someone good Jim !

Hopefully your next OC doesn't sleep with the mother of a recruit. That should be a prerequisite

once the news he's staying is confirmed, somebody better go check on the msu fans. make sure they're okay.

yeah, we're all quaking in our boots - it's a real wonder to see what Jim Howard and Juwan Harbaugh have done to the football and basketball programs in ann arbor. What ever will we do? The best team you've fielded in a decade + and still couldn't beat MSU. We do get a kick out of the reaction from uofm fans after they beat the worst defense OSU has put on the field in ages - "We just beat the snot out of a great OSU team, won the B1g and are the only team to go from unranked to the cfp in it's storied 7 year history. michigan's back baby!!!!"

Last edited:
who did what now?

It's been out there for a while but Gattis supposedly slept with Xavier Worthys mom, then he decommitted. That's why he wasn't out recruiting for a while. Supposedly Gattis was mad he wasn't getting good feedback about his chances of taking over if Harbaugh left. Him not being a candidate was due to this and the embarrassment it would bring, nothing to do with his coaching qualifications.

It's been out there for a while but Gattis supposedly slept with Xavier Worthys mom, then he decommitted. That's why he wasn't out recruiting for a while. Supposedly Gattis was mad he wasn't getting good feedback about his chances of taking over if Harbaugh left. Him not being a candidate was due to this and the embarrassment it would bring, nothing to do with his coaching qualifications.

Ah, okay, I did a couple searches for the topic, either involving Gattis or any other UM football assistant, but nothing came up. So you must be just reposting shit from RCMB or some other internet cesspool.

Regardless of whether he did this or not, I don't think he had any defenders here; most of us wanted him gone. I never liked the hire, and couldn't believe we threw $1MM at this guy. I thought he was way too young and inexperienced for the role.

My only concern with Jim Harbaugh is his track record on hiring assistants & managing them. It's definitely not great, and it's what could hold him back from the long term success like Bo or Lloyd Carr had.

Everything else people say about him reflects more poorly on them than him.

Has Bacon, or any other source that's even somewhat credible explained what was going on behind the scenes in Ann Arbor over the last couple weeks?

It seems like the only real bad outcome is McDonald leaving to go back to Baltimore. Harbaugh staying and Gattis leaving are both great results. Assuming we don't hire some clown to be DC, the coaching staff should be sold next year.

Ah, okay, I did a couple searches for the topic, either involving Gattis or any other UM football assistant, but nothing came up. So you must be just reposting shit from RCMB or some other internet cesspool.

Regardless of whether he did this or not, I don't think he had any defenders here; most of us wanted him gone. I never liked the hire, and couldn't believe we threw $1MM at this guy. I thought he was way too young and inexperienced for the role.

My only concern with Jim Harbaugh is his track record on hiring assistants & managing them. It's definitely not great, and it's what could hold him back from the long term success like Bo or Lloyd Carr had.

Everything else people say about him reflects more poorly on them than him.

I read the story on a Rivals board but it's all coming from Mgoblog, it's all over Miami boards now as well. There has to be a reason he was pulled from recruiting on the road, it would make sense. I don't know how much it matters from a football perspective, the offense wasn't really speed and space, not sure how much the change was Harbaugh or Gattis.

https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/josh-gattis-comments

Last edited:
I read the story on a Rivals board but it's all coming from Mgoblog, it's all over Miami boards now as well. There has to be a reason he was pulled from recruiting on the road, it would make sense. I don't know how much it matters from a football perspective, the offense wasn't really speed and space, not sure how much the change was Harbaugh or Gattis.

https://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/josh-gattis-comments

Or Mike Hart?

Thanks for the link.

Hart's made things better wherever he's gone. Pretty much like Jim Harbaugh. He played a pretty direct role in the running game, which was almost always a strength for us this year.

I'd like to see Hart get the nod to be our next OC.

If there is any truth to the rumors, and JH pulled Gattis from the recruiting trail, kinda makes me wonder if he actually wanted Gattis gone, and the AD balked at firing him? Or letting JH fire him.

whatever the reasoning, I'm happy for how things have turned out so far

Last edited by a moderator:
Or Mike Hart?

Thanks for the link.

Hart's made things better wherever he's gone. Pretty much like Jim Harbaugh. He played a pretty direct role in the running game, which was almost always a strength for us this year.

I'd like to see Hart get the nod to be our next OC.

If there is any truth to the rumors, and JH pulled Gattis from the recruiting trail, kinda makes me wonder if he actually wanted Gattis gone, and the AD balked at firing him? Or letting JH fire him.

whatever the reasoning, I'm happy for how things have turned out so far

Rumors that Hart might leave too

https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com...r-michigan-football-assistant-be-on-the-move/

Angelique has said online a few times that more assistants might be on their way out

Harbaugh signs contract extension through 2026 (link). Details aren't provided in the article, but it did quote Harbaugh:
"I love Michigan Football, the University of Michigan and the Ann Arbor community," Harbaugh said in a released statement. "My family and I are excited to continue leading this football program, and we are thankful for the support that our athletic department and university administration have demonstrated toward the team. I appreciate all that our players, coaches and staff are doing to excel on and off the football field. My enthusiasm for tomorrow, the day after and every day following is as high as ever, and we are ready to get on the practice field and start preparations for the 2022 season."
Okay, good. Everybody got it?

Back