Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What to do with Stafford

He could retire. He has plenty of money. Or just say out I refuse to play for this team, find another deal Holmes

I want picks but that would almost be funny. He can hang out with Calvin in his back yard.

He has a fuck you I'm not playing for you clause

that scenario is highly unlikely. The teams that are interested are teams that are closer to contending than the Lions. No way he pulls that shit if the Lions have a deal with one of the other rumored teams (SF, WFT, Den) because he wants Indy.

I would find it hilarious if he just retired. Join Calvin and Barry. :lmao:

I wonder if the Watson news will actually HELP the Lions get more for Stafford. I'm assuming the asking price for DW will be HUGE (3 first rounders) and teams don't want to give that kind of draft capital....in turn driving up the price for #9.

I'd certainly rather have Watson....but the cost might be more than most teams are willing to give up.

I read somewhere that they think the Texans could be asking for up to 5 first rounders for him (or equivalent). I know that sounds crazy, but Watson is a legitimate top 5 QB in his prime with really no major concerns (Injury/attitude). Obviously that also depends on where the team picks this year.

If its the Jets or Dolphins who pick #2 and #3 then obviously those are worth a lot more.

Look what the Rams traded to move up 14 spots for Goff

Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017).

Watson is gonna command that and probably more. IMO the dolphins or gets are gonna be giving up both their 1st rounds this year and probably another next. If its another team you are looking at mortgaging your entire draft this year and next or throwing in some really good players.

That's a lot of picks. He also seems to only have a short list of teams he'd want to go to. Plus he's paid well.

That's a lot of picks. He also seems to only have a short list of teams he'd want to go to. Plus he's paid well.

Honest questions to whoever may know the answer.....how the fuck does Houston get out of his dead money number if he's traded? Spotrac says he has a $67M dead cap number next year. Would Watson have to agree to restructure his deal? Anyone know?

Or are they just eating $67M of space?

Honest questions to whoever may know the answer.....how the fuck does Houston get out of his dead money number if he's traded? Spotrac says he has a $67M dead cap number next year. Would Watson have to agree to restructure his deal? Anyone know?

Or are they just eating $67M of space?

I saw that on the cap tracker I have no idea. They said we get stuck with Matt's dead number. Out of my pay grade. LKP generally knows this and I won't ever say that again.

I saw that on the cap tracker I have no idea. They said we get stuck with Matt's dead number. Out of my pay grade. LKP generally knows this and I won't ever say that again.

Stafford’s cap # is 33 million. If they trade him before 6-1-2021, Lions absorb 19 million in dead money. If they trade him after 6-1-2021, they absorb 13 million in dead cap money. Link

Here’s more information: Link

Last edited:
I believe there are ways around that for Watson. If he truly wants out he can agree to pay back some of that money and work something out with the new team to make the trade happen. I'm pretty sure it gets a little complicated with that, but it can be done if I'm not mistaken. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Watson depends on trade, roster bonus, other team taking on extra payments, pre or post June 1. It won't be easy. Depends on Houstons cap space too. Watson cap hit only 15.4 but a ton of dead with a trade still too

i thought stafford date was in early march. But its not a hard date and the player and team can agree to push it back if theyre trying to work out a deal. I could be way off but i thought i remember reading something like that.

i thought stafford date was in early march. But its not a hard date and the player and team can agree to push it back if theyre trying to work out a deal. I could be way off but i thought i remember reading something like that.

Yeah you can push the roster bonus date if both agree. Also can agree in principle prior. And then just make it official March 17 or whatever first day is. Stafford bonus like 3 days later

Houston saying they have no intention of trading Watson.

"Organizationally, just want to reiterate our commitment to Deshaun Watson," Caserio said. "He's had a great impact on this organization, a great impact on a lot of people, a great impact on this team, and we look forward for the opportunity to spend more time with him here this spring, once we get started.

"And we have zero interest in trading the player. We have a great plan, a great vision for him and for this team, and his role on this team, and we look forward to the opportunity to spend more time with him here this spring."

https://twitter.com/CharleyCasserly/status/1355241881790271501

Former GM Charley Casserly said he would give up a 1st this year and a 2nd next year for Stafford without thinking twice. Said lots of good teams that need a QB and should drive his price up.

https://twitter.com/VincentFrankNFL...hing-i-heard-from-the-beginning-was-the-colts

Also a writer thats at the Senior Bowl said he knows the 49ers have offered two 2nd's and two 3rd's for Stafford. No idea who this guy is or if he has any credibility. Definitely want a 1st round pick in any deal, but thats the first report I saw that actually said what another team offered.

https://twitter.com/CharleyCasserly/status/1355241881790271501

Former GM Charley Casserly said he would give up a 1st this year and a 2nd next year for Stafford without thinking twice. Said lots of good teams that need a QB and should drive his price up.

https://twitter.com/VincentFrankNFL...hing-i-heard-from-the-beginning-was-the-colts

Also a writer thats at the Senior Bowl said he knows the 49ers have offered two 2nd's and two 3rd's for Stafford. No idea who this guy is or if he has any credibility. Definitely want a 1st round pick in any deal, but thats the first report I saw that actually said what another team offered.

2 2nds and 2 3rds is a fair start to a negotiation. Its essentially saying a 1st and a 3rd if all picks are 2021 picks. Buuut....they arent all 2021 picks. SF doesnt have 2 2nd rd picks this year. and they dont have ANY 3rd rd picks lmao. So essentially the offer is this years 2, next years 2nd. and 2 future 3rd rd picks? No thanks.

Round 1, Pick 12
Round 2, Pick 44
Round 4, Pick 114
Round 5, Pick 153
Round 5, Pick 170 (via NO)
Round 6, Pick 191
Round 7, Pick 225 (via NYJ)
Round 7, Pick 235

Back