Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What to do with Stafford

I'll take a #9 and a 3rd from Denver. Use 7 on Something, take Mac Jones at 9 and Bob's your uncle.

Getting #9 from Denver would be the dream scenario for the Lions, but I wouldn't take Jones at 9. I would pray that Lance or Fields is available at # 8 and let the bidding begin...and I do think there would be some GREAT offers for #7. Offers that could really make a difference on a team with no talent. Any of these could be very possible.

Car #8 & 4th
SF #12 & 3rd & future 2nd
NE #15 & 2022 1st
Wash #19, 4th & 2022 1st
Bears #20 4th & 2022 1st
Indy #21 3rd & 2022 1st

Getting #9 from Denver would be the dream scenario for the Lions, but I wouldn't take Jones at 9. I would pray that Lance or Fields is available at # 8 and let the bidding begin...and I do think there would be some GREAT offers for #7. Offers that could really make a difference on a team with no talent. Any of these could be very possible.

Car #8 & 4th
SF #12 & 3rd & future 2nd
NE #15 & 2022 1st
Wash #19, 4th & 2022 1st
Bears #20 4th & 2022 1st
Indy #21 3rd & 2022 1st

I heard that Denver could actually take Jones at 9. Or 15 to NE. Not a Fields guy but I hear some saying he will drop out of top 10. Probably not but who knows.

Steve Young: Matthew Stafford a ‘generational’ QB who has suffered with the Lions
By David Bonilla
1 hr ago • 0

shares
Share this on Twitter
Share this on Facebook
Flip into Flipboard
Share this on Reddit
Share via Email

Analyst Greg Cosell joined KNBR on Wednesday and discussed quarterback Matthew Stafford, who is being shopped by the Detroit Lions. Despite there being some debate on his worth, NFL insider Ian Rapoport reported on Wednesday that nearly a third of the league has already reached out to the Lions to inquire about the quarterback.

The San Francisco 49ers currently have a quarterback, but Cosell feels that Stafford is an upgrade over Jimmy Garoppolo or any passer who might be available in the draft.

"To me, he's an absolute upgrade over Jimmy G, and I like Jimmy G, but Stafford's just better," Cosell said on the Tolbert, Krueger & Brooks show. "... I would trade for Stafford way before I would draft a quarterback in the first round. Like if somebody says, 'Oh no, I'm not trading for Stafford because I'm going to draft Zach Wilson,' I would never do that. I would trade for Stafford in a heartbeat."

Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young also joined the show, listened to Cosell's comments, and agreed with them wholeheartedly. It is worth noting that Young has been a fan of Wilson, recently saying that there is no limit to what the BYU quarterback can become.

Even so, Young would not hesitate to take Stafford over any rookie.

"I agree (with Cosell)," Young said. "Untested, young talent versus a kid that's been super tested because he's been in Detroit, and I am not joking about that."

Despite lacking a strong supporting cast around him during his career, Stafford has still managed to pass for over 4,000 yards in eight of his 12 NFL seasons and has appeared in every game during all but one of his past 10 seasons.

"I don't want to overstate it, but [Detroit is] not a career-enhancing place," Young continued. "... That's why Matthew, in my mind, we all need to tip our cap to him, regardless of what he does, anything else, if he just retired today. I don't tip my cap for everybody. I would tip my cap to that kid for what he's been through, how he propped it up, how relentless he's been, how much he's gotten done."

Sports Illustrated reported on Wednesday that the 49ers have the "inside edge" to landing Stafford from the Lions. It sounds like Young would have no problem with that.

"He's [going to turn 33 in February]," Young added. "Unless there's a shoulder (injury) I don't know about, or a knee that I don't know about, or something else that's kind of degrading quickly that won't allow him to play five or six or seven more years and get him close to 40, then that would change everything.

"But let's just say he's generally healthy and can play into 39, 40 years old, there's no question that he is one of those handful of quarterbacks that is generational."

You can listen to the entire conversation with Young below.

Fortunately for us these guys know nothing of Stafford. "Generational." Lol.

I agree with what they say to an extent. For a team that is close, Matt is a good answer. He is a proven commodity. For SF, Indy, and a few others, it makes perfect sense.

Fortunately for us these guys know nothing of Stafford. "Generational." Lol.

Although I do believe generational was not the best term to describe him, I would take Steve Young and Greg Cosell's opinion over anyone on here. Stafford's reputation is so much high in this league then a lot of Lions fans give him credit for. I think LKP is obviously a little over the top about him, but some of you guys have just been scared by all the losing.

Although I do believe generational was not the best term to describe him, I would take Steve Young and Greg Cosell's opinion over anyone on here. Stafford's reputation is so much high in this league then a lot of Lions fans give him credit for. I think LKP is obviously a little over the top about him, but some of you guys have just been scared by all the losing.

I won't for one reason they always say other QB are great. Esp. Steve Young. We have a shitty organization so lets blame them on everything. Strong arm, can make any throw, hogwash. As far as reputation, of course it's better in the league. That's the point. He's done nothing and it's always "if he had a better team around him", well no shit.

According to Peter King of NBC Sports, there are at least five teams expected to offer at least a first-round pick to Detroit in exchange for Stafford. However, he didn’t name the five teams that have the Georgia product on their radar.

The Indianapolis Colts and San Francisco 49ers have been linked to Stafford in the past. Both teams are in desperate need of an upgrade at quarterback.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported that Stafford “has his eyes on” the Colts as a landing spot. He would be a great fit in Frank Reich’s offense.

John Clayton of the Washington Post believes the Washington Football Team could be a dark-horse contender to acquire Stafford this offseason.

All signs point to Stafford suiting up for a different franchise next season, but right now it’s unclear which team will emerge as the winner of these sweepstakes

I won't for one reason they always say other QB are great. Esp. Steve Young. We have a shitty organization so lets blame them on everything. Strong arm, can make any throw, hogwash. As far as reputation, of course it's better in the league. That's the point. He's done nothing and it's always "if he had a better team around him", well no shit.

It says a lot about how players feel about the Lions organization and why players don't want to play for them.

The Indianapolis Colts and San Francisco 49ers have been linked to Stafford in the past. Both teams are in desperate need of an upgrade at quarterback.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported that Stafford “has his eyes on” the Colts as a landing spot. He would be a great fit in Frank Reich’s offense.

fuck what "Matt wants"

Last edited:
According to Peter King of NBC Sports, there are at least five teams expected to offer at least a first-round pick to Detroit in exchange for Stafford. However, he didn?t name the five teams that have the Georgia product on their radar.

ESPN?s Jeremy Fowler reported that Stafford ?has his eyes on? the Colts as a landing spot. He would be a great fit in Frank Reich?s offense.

John Clayton of the Washington Post believes the Washington Football Team could be a dark-horse contender to acquire Stafford this offseason.

All signs point to Stafford suiting up for a different franchise next season, but right now it?s unclear which team will emerge as the winner of these sweepstakes

I saw Irsay came out and said his team needs a veteran presence because they are super bowl ready.

I saw Irsay came out and said his team needs a veteran presence because they are super bowl ready.

I wonder if the Watson news will actually HELP the Lions get more for Stafford. I'm assuming the asking price for DW will be HUGE (3 first rounders) and teams don't want to give that kind of draft capital....in turn driving up the price for #9.

I'd certainly rather have Watson....but the cost might be more than most teams are willing to give up.

If Colts need a QB with the cap they have Watson would be my pick. He'll cost more but he's better and could be around for a long time. Of course Watson don't play for no homie.

I wonder if the Watson news will actually HELP the Lions get more for Stafford. I'm assuming the asking price for DW will be HUGE (3 first rounders) and teams don't want to give that kind of draft capital....in turn driving up the price for #9.

I'd certainly rather have Watson....but the cost might be more than most teams are willing to give up.

IMO, it hurts. It will likely take away one team that is willing to trade for a proven vet.

If Colts need a QB with the cap they have Watson would be my pick. He'll cost more but he's better and could be around for a long time. Of course Watson don't play for no homie.

LOL Houston trading within division. That would be surprising

Back