Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

3 Way Done deal , Tigers get Price !!

Yeah, Ajax has been through it, but it has to be hard knowing you're going from a team headed to the playoffs and maybe the ES, to a team that has to hope for a WC.

I'm glad the classy CoPa gang cheered him off today though.

JV was just saying that about the fans. How they realized what was going on and gave him that ovation.

Funny how all I ever hear about is how shitty the Tigers farm system is, yet people get upset when the Tigers include prospects in these deals for PROVEN players. It's fucking comical.

http://m.mlb.com/det/video/topic/88...broadcast-discusses-trade-for-price/?c_id=det
Webvideo Tigers broadcast on David Price trade to Tigers.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v34965799/cwsdet-jackson-exits-to-ovation-after-trade-news/?team_id=116
Webvideo Austin Jackson exits after trade news.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v34968927/dombrowski-on-tigers-landing-price-before-deadline/?team_id=116
Webvideo Dombrowski on dealing for David Price.
Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski discusses the Tigers dealing for coveted ace David Price before the Trade Deadline. 17 minutes.

Tigers official site

Funny how all I ever hear about is how shitty the Tigers farm system is, yet people get upset when the Tigers include prospects in these deals for PROVEN players. It's fucking comical.

We don't want to give away any of those great prospects. They could develop into the next Alex Avila, Phil Coke or Don Kelly one day.

That my friend , is a GREAT point !!

DD has been good at cultivating a farm system that other teams like pieces from to get big league talent. It largely works, except when we have a hole we havent been able to fill through trade or FA, like the bullpen, and now OF. It also makes it look barren most of the time since our good prospects get traded quickly.

Who's upset, one-two guys? 18 year old prospects are basically worthless. So much could happen between now and when he has a chance on a BL club. You're always going to get that on a 2 months or in this case, a 14 month rental. And it's a fair point..

Excellent trade for the Tigers.

Davis and Kinsler can handle lead off, but the bottom of the order just got weaker.

My only real concern is that we no longer have Smyly in the pen... wish we could have given up a few more prospects instead, and then our rotation and pen would both be significantly better. meh... WE GOT ONE OF THE TOP 5 PITCHERS IN BASEBALL FOR TWO ABOVE-AVERAGE MLB REGULARS AND A LOTTERY TICKET!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Glad we got Price but was hoping for a hitter (from anywhere) also at the deadline.... I am worried that our outfield defense just got worse without Jackson and he was hot in the month of July.. So I guess that is good DD traded high... I get my wish and Carrera and his high OBP .387 gets a shot... I wanted him to get a shot when AJ was struggling But good thing of us AJ worked out of it... Sorry to see Drew leave but I really feel he is better in the pen then starting... Just my opinion...

Excellent trade for the Tigers.

Davis and Kinsler can handle lead off, but the bottom of the order just got weaker.

My only real concern is that we no longer have Smyly in the pen... wish we could have given up a few more prospects instead, and then our rotation and pen would both be significantly better. meh... WE GOT ONE OF THE TOP 5 PITCHERS IN BASEBALL FOR TWO ABOVE-AVERAGE MLB REGULARS AND A LOTTERY TICKET!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOTTTT!!!!!!!

Would not be surprised to see Ezequiel Carrera lead off... He does have a .387 OBP even f it is in Toledo.. with 40+ steals..

If this was true Tampa would not have wanted him in the first place.

Well, it's personal opinion. Obvious other teams covet young prospects. There is just so much that can happen between now and 4 years from now..

They are commodities regardless. They can always be used in a trade for a corner OFer, which this team will need in not too short a time.

The team was not weak at starting pitching. We are weak in the OF (and just got weaker), in particular a lefty power bat and we still need a viable LOOGY (not named Hardy).

So yes, trading Ames is negating his use in a deal for something of "need".

They are commodities regardless. They can always be used in a trade for a corner OFer, which this team will need in not too short a time.

The team was not weak at starting pitching. We are weak in the OF (and just got weaker), in particular a lefty power bat and we still need a viable LOOGY (not named Hardy).

So yes, trading Ames is negating his use in a deal for something of "need".

I disagree completely.

Any time you can shop a prospect in returns for a top pitcher you do it, PITCHING wins in the postseason and we just got a HUGE upgrade in the most important aspect of the game.

I disagree completely.

Any time you can shop a prospect in returns for a top pitcher you do it, PITCHING wins in the postseason and we just got a HUGE upgrade in the most important aspect of the game.

Then you have to ask yourself how much SP is too much..and last year our offense was a big problem in the playoffs.

I disagree completely.

I really would like to see data backing up this myth.

Then you have to ask yourself how much SP is too much..and last year our offense was a big problem in the playoffs.

Offense wasn't good but alot of that had to do with Miguel playing at about 50% of himself (maybe).

Also I'd say the Bullpen was the real issue, they cost the Tigers in game 2 and game 6 in the ALCS last year. If Miguel is 100% that's a much different series imo.

I really would like to see data backing up this myth.

Well a month or so ago I posted data from an article comparing ERA+ and OPS+ from all the WS winners, and the data very much spoke to how the best pitching teams win more frequently.

The issue became whether those particular stats were even worth bringing into a discussion like this. Do you feel they are?

Then consider we're losing value with Porecello because he goes to the pen now, in the playoffs, and he's been pitching well as a starter.

Plus, xer0, Miguel apparently is still not 100%.

Overall, I'm not really sure how I feel about the trade. I like Price and AJax has his own difficulties - I thought it a fair trade, but the offense can be stagnant for long stretches. And now no AJax.

Then consider we're losing value with Porecello because he goes to the pen now, in the playoffs, and he's been pitching well as a starter.

Plus, xer0, Miguel apparently is still not 100%.

Overall, I'm not really sure how I feel about the trade. I like Price and AJax has his own difficulties - I thought it a fair trade, but the offense can be stagnant for long stretches. And now no AJax.

offense was stagnant for years with ajax.

Back