Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

3 Way Done deal , Tigers get Price !!

I am confused. Smyly = LH Starter. Price = LH Starter.

Additionally, how many more wins does Price make us by replacing Smyly in the rotation , while also losing Jackson? I am not sure it is much.

Does it help us in the playoffs? Price takes either JV or Porcello's slot. But then we cannot move Smyly to the pen. So did we really improve?

I am not sure this trade does much improvement for this year.

funny that's exactly what we said about the fister trade and smyly moving into his spot.

Our outfield is currently a train wreck. At least Oakland gave up their 2nd best hitter to get Lester (if you count donaldson as the best)

I actually don't mind our OF right now. JD is looking consistent at the plate, Hunter is always streaky and at least he is hot right now, and Davis is hitting RHP better than he has ever in his career, and with Jackson gone he will be playing everyday and have to keep it up. Dirks will HOPEFULLY be back soon to back up all the OF spots and I know the defense isn't good at all out there, but I don't mind losing Jackson's inconsistent bat.

and what about the last 4 years? So when kinsler plays all star caliber we need to look at his away stats the previous 4 years. but when ajax gets traded its only about what hes done the last 2 months lmao.....

Perfect time to trade him....im sure DD used a lot of those stats you provided to really show how ajax has turned the corner as a player and ready to become what we all thought he was going to....then he sold high. Exactly what a GM should do.

The bottom line is ajax has been bad enough to get bumped from lead off cause he wasn't creating opportunity for 2-5 on a consistent enough basis.

Great time to trade AJAX. I'm glad that we didn't give up Nick Castellanos in this deal. AJAX and Smyly for a 20 game winner is a steal.

There I tapped the hornets nest. It is time to hear how wins do not matter.

Great time to trade AJAX. I'm glad that we didn't give up Nick Castellanos in this deal. AJAX and Smyly for a 20 game winner is a steal.

There I tapped the hornets nest. It is time to hear how wins do not matter.

But there is no way Price gets you more wins that Smyly down the stretch right?!?!?!?!?!? ................................ lol

yea how many wins do we actually gain by getting Price but losing Smyly and Jackson ...its about a push .

LMAO believe that one and i got a sweet piece of property for sale in Gary , Indiana !!!!

The complaint when we traded fister was that we needed that 4th quality starter in the post season. We get a quality 4th starter for the post season + a ricky porcello who has found a grove and now its "I don't know how this helps us this season" :D

According to Tigers Dombrowski, Ezeke Carrera up is official. Pat McCoy recalled to Detroit; Ian Krol optioned to MudHens.

The complaint when we traded fister was that we needed that 4th quality starter in the post season. We get a quality 4th starter for the post season + a ricky porcello who has found a grove and now its "I don't know how this helps us this season" :D

Well look who is the one who said that , doesnt surprise me in the least bit . Hes gotta get serious consideration for the Board clown of the year haha

I am confused. Smyly = LH Starter. Price = LH Starter.

Additionally, how many more wins does Price make us by replacing Smyly in the rotation , while also losing Jackson? I am not sure it is much.

Does it help us in the playoffs? Price takes either JV or Porcello's slot. But then we cannot move Smyly to the pen. So did we really improve?

I am not sure this trade does much improvement for this year.

and we lost a hitter.

This trade is a big time upgrade, especially if we get to the playoffs. That allows us to have Rick Porcello in the bullpen, who can pitch multiple innings on back to back nights.. which is better than any reliever we could have traded for. As for Price.. that's 1 out of every 5 nights we probably wont even need a 7th inning guy and possibly not even a 8th inning guy. Price has gone at least 8 IP in 8 of his last 10 outings. Having him keeps our bullpen from further taxing as well, which could result in some better results. Soria is a closer, though.. he needs to close. He just doesn't pitch well setting up.

Also, if we aren't contending next year, we can flip Price for a way better return than what we just gave up.

Feel for Drew Smyly. Don't know if anybody saw the interview but he looks heart broken. Tough when you are young and one team is all you know.

NAME GP W L AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS
Last 7 Days 6 3 4 239 30 62 10 1 3 29 .259 .304 .347 .651
April 22 13 9 752 100 205 42 2 17 98 .273 .329 .402 .731
May 29 17 12 1009 136 275 70 0 35 132 .273 .323 .446 .769
June 27 14 13 932 126 262 58 7 33 125 .281 .336 .465 .801
July 25 13 12 842 121 238 47 6 17 115 .283 .333 .413 .746
Pre All-Star 91 53 38 3128 437 875 195 15 97 426 .280 .333 .445 .778
Post All-Star 13 5 8 439 50 113 23 2 6 47 .257 .307 .360 .667

Price is great but we needed a hitters

This trade is a big time upgrade, especially if we get to the playoffs. That allows us to have Rick Porcello in the bullpen, who can pitch multiple innings on back to back nights.. which is better than any reliever we could have traded for. As for Price.. that's 1 out of every 5 nights we probably wont even need a 7th inning guy and possibly not even a 8th inning guy. Price has gone at least 8 IP in 8 of his last 10 outings. Having him keeps our bullpen from further taxing as well, which could result in some better results. Soria is a closer, though.. he needs to close. He just doesn't pitch well setting up.

Porcello in the BP last year was a big help!

Feel for Drew Smyly. Don't know if anybody saw the interview but he looks heart broken. Tough when you are young and one team is all you know.

Yeah, I watched both his and Jackson's interview. He seemed pretty shaken by the trade whereas Jackson took it in stride.

It's part of the game that sucks. I'm sure Jackson felt the way Smyly does when he was traded from NY to Det.

Yeah, I watched both his and Jackson's interview. He seemed pretty shaken by the trade whereas Jackson took it in stride.

It's part of the game that sucks. I'm sure Jackson felt the way Smyly does when he was traded from NY to Det.

Yeah, Ajax has been through it, but it has to be hard knowing you're going from a team headed to the playoffs and maybe the ES, to a team that has to hope for a WC.

I'm glad the classy CoPa gang cheered him off today though.

Back