Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

3 Way Done deal , Tigers get Price !!

We needed relief pitching got none
we needed a hitter got none.
Sent the best relief pitcher/starter that we could have used in the playoffs.
What good is Price when the pen can not hold a lead?
Pen just gave 3 too the sox!
I like Price but was not what Tigers needed. Add to everything else the D in the OF got worse.

We signed Nathan to a huge contract, traded for Soria. What else you want..it just hasn't worked out. You think Miller was going to make us better? Not sure there was much in the OF to trade for..and Ajax, he's just average.

Last edited:
OK because trotting out 5 right handed starting pitchers every year is a GREAT idea...............................................

Are you arguing it's a bad idea? If so don't be vague, make your argument.

Just saw on Twitter that Ezequiel Carrera may be coming up from Toledo take the open roster spot.

Are you arguing it's a bad idea? If so don't be vague, make your argument.

I'm arguing we traded a top 3 rotation RHP to insert a left handed fifth starter because it IS important to have a lefty in your rotation to at least give teams different looks every once in a while...

What does a left handed starter matter if a right handed starter can get both RH/LH out?

While I'm not against trading Ajax, I am upset we didn't get any bats.

Ajax was:

4th in hits on the team.
3rd in OBP (among player with at least 350 PA)
5th in total bases
4th in Walks
3rd in SB
4th in oWAR
5th in bAVG.
3rd in Doubles
1st in triples

So yeah, we lost a bit more than 180 strikeouts a year, unless you're a Neanderthal and only look at strikeouts.

It will be hard to replace that in the lineup, period.

Ajax was:

4th in hits on the team.
5th in total bases
4th in Walks
3rd in SB
4th in oWAR
5th in bAVG.
3rd in Doubles
1st in triples

So yeah, we lost a bit more than 180 strikeouts a year, unless you're a Neanderthal and only look at strikeouts.

True.

I think having a lefty starter is an advantage in the short term, but not really long term. I always feel that if you can alternate R/L/R in a three game series, then it does throw off the timing somewhat of the opponent's lineup from day to day having to adjust back and forth. Maybe that gives you the edge in a 3 game series, or in a playoff series. Over the long haul, maybe it doesn't make much difference though.

I am confused. Smyly = LH Starter. Price = LH Starter.

Additionally, how many more wins does Price make us by replacing Smyly in the rotation , while also losing Jackson? I am not sure it is much.

Does it help us in the playoffs? Price takes either JV or Porcello's slot. But then we cannot move Smyly to the pen. So did we really improve?

I am not sure this trade does much improvement for this year.

Ajax was:

4th in hits on the team.
5th in total bases
4th in Walks
3rd in SB
4th in oWAR
5th in bAVG.
3rd in Doubles
1st in triples

and what about the last 4 years? So when kinsler plays all star caliber we need to look at his away stats the previous 4 years. but when ajax gets traded its only about what hes done the last 2 months lmao.....

Perfect time to trade him....im sure DD used a lot of those stats you provided to really show how ajax has turned the corner as a player and ready to become what we all thought he was going to....then he sold high. Exactly what a GM should do.

The bottom line is ajax has been bad enough to get bumped from lead off cause he wasn't creating opportunity for 2-5 on a consistent enough basis.

Last edited:
I think having a lefty starter is an advantage in the short term, but not really long term. I always feel that if you can alternate R/L/R in a three game series, then it does throw off the timing somewhat of the opponent's lineup from day to day having to adjust back and forth. Maybe that gives you the edge in a 3 game series, or in a playoff series. Over the long haul, maybe it doesn't make much difference though.

I agree. That's why Price is here to win a championship.

Scherzer
Price
Verlander

Lights out Oakland A's

Ajax was:

4th in hits on the team.
5th in total bases
4th in Walks
3rd in SB
4th in oWAR
5th in bAVG.
3rd in Doubles
1st in triples

Our outfield is currently a train wreck. At least Oakland gave up their 2nd best hitter to get Lester (if you count donaldson as the best)

I am confused. Smyly = LH Starter. Price = LH Starter.

Additionally, how many more wins does Price make us by replacing Smyly in the rotation , while also losing Jackson? I am not sure it is much.

Does it help us in the playoffs? Price takes either JV or Porcello's slot. But then we cannot move Smyly to the pen. So did we really improve?

I am not sure this trade does much improvement for this year.

You question a trade? Color me shocked!

I agree. That's why Price is here to win a championship.

Scherzer
Price
Verlander

Lights out Oakland A's

Oakland counters with
Gray
Lester
Kazmir
Chavez

Probably closer then you think with Velander sucking and Kazmir finding himself.

Back