Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Al Avila is Terminated! That's right he was Fired! Now Asst. GM Chadd is Fired!

Hinch approved, ha. Hinch needs to go. And take his staff with him.

Detroit Tigers general manager search: Jason McLeod, Dana Brown, other possible candidates.

Two data pieces that teams prioritize for hitters are O-Swing % (chase rate) and BB%.
Tigers rank:
O-Swing% 36.4% 29/30
BB% 6.5% 29/30

DET built a roster that doesn't swing at strikes and doesn't walk..I'll wager that's the first thing a new GM prioritizes.

MGorosh

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/08/18/five-for-friday-39/
FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

One week after the firing of Tigers? GM, Al Avila, I?m hoping that Chris Ilitch and his senior Front Office executives have been sitting down and compiling a list of qualities, characteristics and skills that their new GM must have.

There?s going to be a lot on their list, some items more important than others.

But do they have a list of priorities? Experience that is a must-have?

I hope so. I certainly have mine.

And it?s a long list.

But what are my top 5 qualifications that absolutely, positively must be met before anything else is considered? The initial 5 that will either qualify or disqualify potential candidates for further evaluation?

You may be surprised that my list of first hurdles is short on the tangible skills. That list comes after candidates have cleared this initial one. And it?s because it doesn?t matter how great your business skills or work experience are, if you can?t prepare the organization to succeed as a whole, then this candidate will ultimately fail. at the task.

Should this person be creative? Yes. A great trader and an expert in understanding how to scout and draft effectively? Absolutely.

But those skills come after they?ve passed the following criteria?..

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/08/23/watercooler-wednesday-51/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another opportunity for readers to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful dialog and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversational threads. And for those of you still going into offices, here?s a question to take with you ? or use via Zoom ? as you talk to your co-workers.

Here is today?s topic:

The Detroit Tigers are starting their search for a new GM. Owner Chris Ilitch indicated that the team made no progress at the MLB level this year, suggesting that the team needs someone who is experienced in the rebuilding process.

However, over the weekend, national stories came out that suggested the Tigers lack an organizational cohesiveness and process in which to effectively solve problems and improve the team. This was exemplified by the story of Robbie Grossman improving almost immediately by moving to another team.

An organization that easily fixed his issues that the Tigers had been unable to solve. Several experts in baseball have suggested that the departments within the Tigers Front Office don?t communicate or work together effectively.

If you were included in the GM search, which one of these 2 job qualifications is the most important one? Would you prioritize the need for rebuilding experience or do you believe that solving the work and communications problems within the organization is the most important?

Which one would you choose?
Which skill is the priority in choosing a new GM?

1. Experience in rebuilding.

2. Enhance flow of information and work between all departments.

VOTE

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/08/24/wide-open/
WIDE OPEN.
Totally Tigers

From now until he officially assumes his new position, we?re going to keep discussing the issues, concerns and priorities that a new GM must address. Today, let?s look at how he may handle the roster. Such as it is.

For simplicity?s sake, we?re going to focus on the positional players only, not the pitchers.

In a number of ways, this team has regressed in its roster. Injuries have certainly played a part but so have several prospects, highly touted, who couldn?t manage to stick in Detroit. And then there?s the constant shuffling of the same players back and forth to Toledo.

More than half of the current members have significantly under-performed. Some so much that we shouldn?t expect to see them in Detroit next year.

Chris Ilitch is expecting this team to improve at the MLB level which means that the new GM is going to have to be creative in trying to fix what is wrong.

Obviously, some of the repairs need to happen off the field, in the offices. But if we?re addressing the actual players, there?s only so much the GM will be able to do.

Before we get into the options he has, let?s take a rough look at the roster ahead of next year.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/08/25/five-for-friday-40/
FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

There may be only 5+ weeks left in the season, but the Tigers are plenty busy despite their very disappointing year.

They are not waiting to move on issues until a new GM comes on board. Certain individuals are already guiding the direction of what needs to be done. In all cases, it?s evaluating players and situations.

A. J. Hinch revealed that he is helping Spencer Torkelson long distance with his hitting. And Sam Menzin, who is temporarily in charge, has already interviewed for the position, which is really considered a formality. But he?s also trying to make himself look as good as possible for the potential arrival of his new boss. His job is not guaranteed to survive a new regime, especially since he?s closely connected to Dave Dombrowksi and Al Avila.

So what are the 5 most important stories to follow from now until the end of the year? I?ve got my list??.

1.THE GM HUNT

2. MIGGY?S FUTURE

3. DRESS REHEARSALS

4. PROSPECT PIPELINE

5. TWEAKING TORKELSON

Back