Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Al Avila is Terminated! That's right he was Fired! Now Asst. GM Chadd is Fired!

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/08/02/pieces-of-the-puzzle-part-one/
PIECES OF THE PUZZLE ? Part One.
Totally Tigers

Oh my, what an ugly week this has been so far. So many Tiger fans up in arms. I even heard that all the Detroit-area hardware stores were sold out of torches and pitchforks.

More than a few fans were calling for Scott Harris? head. They wanted him fired for making 1 mistake. All of this for a man who has only spent 10 months on the job.

I guess after all those decades of incompetent sports team leaders, fans have been conditioned to automatically turn every top Detroit team exec into either Matt Millen or Randy Smith.

But what struck me was the sudden rush to judgment that this was all Scott Harris? fault. Blame assigned within nanoseconds and an impatience to wait for the facts to come out.

To assume incompetence is the answer without exploring the facts and rationale is lazy and negligent. But I get the fact that when something like this happens, fans get upset and jump to conclusions because of the need to expel their frustration and anger.

Truth is, folks, anytime you put a group of people together to hammer out a deal, it?s likely to be complicated. You?re dealing with human nature which is unpredictable most of the time.

I learned long ago that things are rarely black and white. Most of the time, we live in a grey world.

And the trade deadline is a classic example.

It?s so easy to come to an all-or-nothing decision instead of digging through information to discover what was really going on. The latter takes time and energy, which many simply don?t want to do.

And for fans ? which is short for ?fanatics? ? many allow themselves to be ruled by emotion.

It?s some of these same fans who have accused me of making excuses for Scott Harris simply because of the facts I pointed out yesterday. Facts that didn?t support a singular blame game.

You should know me better than that if you?ve been reading TT for awhile. This blog has always been about discussing the unvarnished truth ? both the good and the bad. There is no rush to judgment here.

There is, however, a gathering of facts.

The truth is that there were so many players (not just of the athletic kind) involved ? both past and present. A complicated contract. A player with baggage. People in charge who we either don?t know or have little info to go on. And little understanding of how deals and trades are made.

This turned out to be the perfect storm of misadventure.

And it can?t be blamed on just one person.

This is turning out to be a bigger story than anyone imagined. So much so that we?re going to split this blog into 2 parts. Today, we?re going to share the facts leading up to the final decision. We?re also going to ask a lot of questions.

Tomorrow, we?re going to address what this means for the Tigers going forward.

Let?s now get out our biggest, baddest shovels and dig in?.....

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/08/06/monday-musings-77/
MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Throughout the week, there are so many smaller stories hitting the media. They may be bite-size, but often they are just as important as the headline-grabbing news. Sometimes, even more.

And that?s what brings me to today. A way to bring them out in the open and invite conversation about some of these subjects.

It?s the plan for Mondays. Keeping track of these mighty little bits that hit my radar throughout the week and sharing them with you today because I know one or more will also resonate with you. So, let?s kick off this week?s musings?

It?s rather ironic that given this trade deadline week, we are hearing once again about 2 former Tigers ? and 2 different experiences.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/10/30/the-best-money-ever-spent/
THE BEST MONEY EVER SPENT.
Totally Tigers

Isn?t it amazing what happens when you sign quality talent?

I?m not talking about the players.

I am talking about the personnel. Specifically Scott Harris, Ryan Garko, Rob Metzler, Kenny Graham, Gabe Ribas, Ryan Sienko, Mark Connor, A. J. Hinch and his coaches and the dozens of others who have been brought in to craft the entire process of acquiring, developing and promoting the talent we see on the field. (Jeff Greenberg remains off this list simply because he was just hired.)

It is the difference between night and day.

Few teams have been as clueless as the Tigers when it came to hiring those to run the organization. After Sparky Anderson?s retirement, there was a parade of first-time managers and former players who became skippers.

And it really was sad that the Tigers couldn?t go beyond their boundaries and explore managerial talent outside the organization. Instead, they took the easy way out by hiring Dave Dombrowski?s former Marlins manager, Jim Leyland, who had been retired for 6 years since walking away from both of his contracts with the Marlins (after 2 years) and Rockies (after 1 year).

Seriously, how many other organizations decided that going after long-retired managers was the perfect solution to their needs? It really does smack of either being unimaginative, lazy, desperate and/or believing that the personnel you bring in isn?t really important to winning.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/11/01/let-the-river-run/
LET THE RIVER RUN.
Totally Tigers

On Tuesday, I blogged about the best investment the Tigers have ever made. Hiring top end talent to run every aspect of the organization. Talent that is already shown to have paid off in the scouting, development and promotion of players.

A number of Tigers have given testimonials now about how they have been helped perform better.
And now, we?re hearing from the minor leaguers, too.

Last edited:
https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/11/08/promise-potential-and-impressions/
PROMISE, POTENTIAL AND IMPRESSIONS.
Totally Tigers

The first year of any new baseball regime is always the toughest for fans.

Sure, we?re always hopeful when disastrous GMs are shown the door and a new era is ushered in.

But we?re never handed a summary of how good or bad they will be as they step into their jobs. We have to wait for things to unfold. Slowly. Bit by bit.

Fans are in a blind spot for the first year. We really don?t know how things are going to work out. We have to hunt and peck for those little moves that tell us what kind of a PoBO or GM he may be.

We add up all those little clues during the year and start to form some first impressions. And when we get enough of them, we put them together and begin to assemble the new Front Office?s patterns and ways of operating.

Personally, I like what I see in Scott Harris so far. God knows he was given an absolute dumpster fire of an organization to dig out of and had to spend some time steering the ship away from the rocks. It?s going to take longer than a year for him to get fully up to speed given everything he?s had to address first.

But my impression of him is only partially formed. I need to see another year as PoBO in which he moves from the reassessment phase into the re-imagine stage.

Given all of this, I can see how very differently this organization is being run now that the grown-ups are in charge.

And that?s what today?s blog is about.

Back