Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Blue Jays @ Tigers 7-5-15 Game #81

Just one of many arms he can call at a moments notice..we're stacked.

i'm not sure what replacing two veteran pen arms with two rookies was supposed to accomplish in the first place although I can't blame them for trying...how many years now has a weak pen been a know issue that still hasn't been addressed? That's all on DD

And that's also why we have no chance to catch KC. They have a lights out bull pen. They yank their starters pretty quickly even when they pitch well. The Rays do the same thing. Interesting article I read the other day.

However, unlike the trend in recent decades of using starting pitchers less in an attempt to avoid injuries, the Rays and Royals are not limiting the number of pitches being thrown, but rather, they are limiting the number of batters the starting pitchers are facing to in order to increase their effectiveness.

This strategy of limiting the number of batters a starting pitcher faces is based on the simple concept that hitters get better the more times they face a pitcher in a game. While an opposing hitter's OPS increases slightly from the first at bat to the second at bat, it shoots way up in the third at bat.

http://www.businessinsider.com/royals-rays-reinventing-how-teams-use-starting-pitchers-2015-6

And that's also why we have no chance to catch KC. They have a lights out bull pen. They yank their starters pretty quickly even when they pitch well. The Rays do the same thing. Interesting article I read the other day.

However, unlike the trend in recent decades of using starting pitchers less in an attempt to avoid injuries, the Rays and Royals are not limiting the number of pitches being thrown, but rather, they are limiting the number of batters the starting pitchers are facing to in order to increase their effectiveness.

This strategy of limiting the number of batters a starting pitcher faces is based on the simple concept that hitters get better the more times they face a pitcher in a game. While an opposing hitter's OPS increases slightly from the first at bat to the second at bat, it shoots way up in the third at bat.

http://www.businessinsider.com/royals-rays-reinventing-how-teams-use-starting-pitchers-2015-6

That is interesting indeed makes sense and seems to work well if you have a pen that can throws strikes and put hitters away when they get ahead

Uuummmmmmmm yeah Tigers going nowhere no pen, no miggy, verlander not yet reinvented...all adds up to a whole lotta nutton...JD has been great though

Last edited:
Offense hit well enough to win today, damn shame Tigers still have no pen after all these years...sometimes you just have to shake your head, stare off into space then shake your head some more

That was probably ball 4 but hey most of em aren't up there to walk and ya gotta protect

I used to get so agitated when I played in the softball beer leagues when guys would sit up there taking one close pitch after another drawing walks in a frigen slow pitch softball league..I used to yell in from the outfield c'mon this ain't the majors you don't play softball for walks, swing the bat!

Point being these Tigers we watch are the majors and it's ok to be selective some of these guys act like thier in a beer league sometimes

Last edited:
These two pen replacements aren't working either..what now?

Last edited:
I used to get so agitated when I played in the softball beer leagues when guys would sit up there taking one close pitch after another drawing walks in a frigen slow pitch softball league..I used to yell in from the outfield c'mon this ain't the majors you don't play softball for walks, swing the bat!

Point being these Tigers we watch are the majors and it's ok to be selective some of these guys act like thier in a beer league

I rarely ever saw more than 2 or 3 pitches in a softball at bat. I was Vlad Guerrero up there....anything even remotely close and I'm swinging.

Kinslers walk up music very superstitious and cuts of with the words "the writing is on the wall"

Boy that sure is fitting

Last edited:
Jays Gameday says Osuna qualifies for a save in this game despite the 10-5 score???

I rarely ever saw more than 2 or 3 pitches in a softball at bat. I was Vlad Guerrero up there....anything even remotely close and I'm swinging.

Yup and that's the way a softball league outta be, we'd play these teams every now and then with a bunch of major league coulda woulda shoulda beens on it trying to live out their childhood dreams taking it all serious and shit not swinging at anything unless it was right in thier happy zone...they'd draw like 20 walks a game and beat us 25-5 or some shit, so annoying..I kinda miss it I should start playing again

Last edited:
Royals only had 4 hits today yet just walked it off in the 9th and wins 3-2

Thats what good pitching do

Back to 6 back

Wade Davis has a 0.25 era good gaawd that's nuts

Last edited:
Can someone with better MLB knowledge than myself explain what the Tigers' options are with Verlander? He's not a 200 inning guy, he's not a good pitcher in limited innings, and now he looks like he will be a 20-25 game starter due to DL assignments. Obviously no one expected this drop-off, but it's happened.

Now, I know MLB contracts are guaranteed, so cutting him doesn't actually save the team money. But, if we cut Verlander and another team signs him for cheap, is his salary offset at all by that contract (like NBA)? I mean, Verlander isn't even good enough to be a 5th starter anymore, is there any way to lessen the hit?

Royals only had 4 hits today yet just walked it off in the 9th and wins 3-2

Thats what good pitching do

Back to 6 back

Wade Davis has a 0.25 era good gaawd that's nuts

And they pulled Duffy after 6.1 innings and 84 pitches. He gave up 2 runs and none since the 3rd inning. They have so much faith in their pen.

And they pulled Duffy after 6.1 innings and 84 pitches. He gave up 2 runs and none since the 3rd inning. They have so much faith in their pen.

That would be a great luxury. It seems like the Tigers pen has been a mess for the past 10+ years.

Back