Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Blue Jays @ Tigers 7-5-15 Game #81

STREAKS AND STATS:

Yoenis Cespedes' double in the third inning was his 25th of the season, which is tied with Twins' Brian Dozier for second-most in Major League Baseball. Only Indians' Jason Kipnis has more, with 26.

Justin Verlander reached 2,000 innings pitched with the first out in the fifth inning, becoming the 11th Tigers pitcher to reach 2,000 or more innings pitched.

The seven runs allowed by Verlander marked a season high, which, given it's just his fourth start isn't particularly bright.

J.D. Martinez's home run in the sixth inning marked his 23rd of the season, second-most in the American League. His six home runs in the sixth this year are the most hit in any inning.

Anthony Gose's seventh inning homer was just his second of the year.

Can someone with better MLB knowledge than myself explain what the Tigers' options are with Verlander? He's not a 200 inning guy, he's not a good pitcher in limited innings, and now he looks like he will be a 20-25 game starter due to DL assignments. Obviously no one expected this drop-off, but it's happened.

Now, I know MLB contracts are guaranteed, so cutting him doesn't actually save the team money. But, if we cut Verlander and another team signs him for cheap, is his salary offset at all by that contract (like NBA)? I mean, Verlander isn't even good enough to be a 5th starter anymore, is there any way to lessen the hit?

from what I have read if they were to waive him and nobody claims him he would be a free agent and the Tigers would be responsible for the remainder of his contract regardless. It really doesn't matter...they are not going to waive him!

Back