Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

buyers or sellers?

Prepare your anus boys! Next 5 years are going to suuuuuuuuck.

Tim Kurkjian explains why the Tigers will be buyers at the trade deadline: "If you're around .500 in the American League right now, you have a shot at that second wild card."

Jayson Stark said: "They're still only 4.5 back of the Twins in the wild card. They've got Miguel Cabrera coming back in a few weeks. They've decided they're built to win now. They're going to go for it."

They are making a huge mistake IMO, the franchise is going back to the basement for years to come.

AL executive: "As of today I am comfortable saying Price doesn't get traded, and doubtful on Samdardzija" If neither moves SP mkt dims

This is the dumbest shit I have ever heard. I can't wait until Dumbrowski is gone. Can we beat the Royals in a seven game series? No. Yankees? No. Angels? No. Cardinals, Dodgers, Nationals, Pirates, Giants? No to all five.

Prepare your anus boys! Next 5 years are going to suuuuuuuuck.

5 years...more like 10-15 years.

It takes roughly 5-7 years for the results of a draft year to be probably evaluated. With nothing on the farm, it will take the next 5-7 years just to build the farm back up. Maybe another 5-7 years to actually compete with those players.

It takes roughly 5-7 years for the results of a draft year to be probably evaluated. With nothing on the farm, it will take the next 5-7 years just to build the farm back up. Maybe another 5-7 years to actually compete with those players.

I don't disagree at all. On the bright side I have been mentally preparing myself since before this season started. Nothing has been unexpected.

Great, I'll be 93 when the Tigers are good again.

On the bright side the more the suck they harder I hit the gym, go ahead and just keep losing then lackadaisical brads.. I think the majority of them lack focused desire to not accept losing. not all mind you, but most..

Last edited:
Here's the thing. The Nats really want a closer and are close in selling some of their great prospects for Pabelbon. They could also use a catcher. Wilson Ramos and Jose Lobaton aren't the greatest. Why not Soria and Avila for a nice haul of youngsters? Nope, instead we are going to buy and probably not make Qualifying Offers to either of these two, thus meaning we get nothing in return for them.

They have had 3 straight under .500 months. Next month they have 6 with KC, series with Hou, LAA, TEX, and two road series in TOR and BALT

They will be buried and out of it no matter what they do after they get through that schedule.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

like this, this is the place they need to get to, it's a state of mind "focused intensity" I don't see it from most of them

focused-intensity-christopher-carter.jpg

Last edited:
Don't break up the Tigers!!!

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mlb-the-30-red-sox-tigers-blue-jays-royals-disappointment/

The rumors have been flying for about a week: The Tigers plan to trade David Price and Yoenis Cespedes, presumably along with fellow free-agents-to-be Joakim Soria, Alfredo Simon, and Alex Avila. But even though the team’s been struggling for weeks and now sits below .500, a fire sale would be a mistake.

Consider where the Tigers sit. They’re 4.5 games out of the second wild-card spot.1 And while three other teams sit between them and the final postseason place, the crowded field is hardly a formidable one. The Twins currently occupy the spot, and they’ve recently shown signs of slipping, something we figured might happen given how much of their first-half success was driven by happenstance rather than strong underlying numbers. If the Twins do come back to the pack, you’re left with a mishmash of .500-ish teams — the Jays, the Orioles, maybe the Rays, Rangers, and White Sox — all with some talent but also some major flaws.

The Tigers’ biggest flaw, by far, is their pitching. The bullpen is 29th in Wins Above Replacement, which is actually an improvement on last year’s finish. The bigger disappointment has been the reeling rotation. Justin Verlander spent the first nine weeks on the disabled list and has ceded six runs or more in three of his seven starts since returning. Anibal Sanchez’s ERA is up two full runs compared to the 2013 season that netted a fourth-place Cy Young finish. As for the back of the rotation … not great, Bob. Alfredo Simon posted a 2.58 ERA in his first 12 starts of the season. Since then? An 8.65 ERA, including a stretch in which he gave up five runs or more in five straight starts. Shane Greene got sent to the minors in mid-June, and he’s coughed up 17 runs in his three starts since coming back up.

If there’s one commodity that’s abundantly available this week, though, it’s pitching. Even with Scott Kazmir and Johnny Cueto already dealt, Cole Hamels and Jeff Samardzija are still out there, as are less flashy options like Matt Garza, Mike Leake, and others who could still represent solid upgrades over Greene and Simon. And while we don’t yet know all the relievers who’ll be dealt, the list will likely extend far beyond the rumored trio of Jonathan Papelbon, Kimbrel, and Chapman.

To put it simply: There’s a good chance the Tigers become the Phillies in the next two or three seasons, and it won’t matter if they’ve traded off this year’s pending free agents. As we’ve seen over the past few years, teams are no longer willing to give up blue-chip prospects for two-month rentals — even if they’re as good as Price, Cespedes, or Soria. Getting rid of those three might be a symbol of long-term thinking, but it’d be an empty and misguided one.

Although the injury to Miguel Cabrera is a big hit — he’s not expected back until at least mid-August — Detroit’s offense has been producing at a top-five clip since he’s been out. If they can find a couple of cheap upgrades to the rotation and the bullpen — and they should be able to — then the playoffs would still be within reach. With tons of money locked up in aging stars like Cabrera, Verlander, and Victor Martinez, the Tigers are already all in. They might as well stay there.

Makes it sound like finding a couple "cheap rotation upgrades" is just a piece of cake. Newsflash, Grantland, this team is more than a couple cheap rotation players away from being a contender. The starting pitching is also a joke. Outside of Price, you cannot count on any of these guys.

Records since May 22nd:

NYY 34-22 .607 (currently 1st AL East)

LAA 33-23 .589 (currently 1st AL West)

KCR 33-24 .579 (currently 1st AL Central)

TOR 31-25 .554 (currently t3rd Wild Card)

OAK 30-26 .536

MIN 29-28 .509 (currently 2nd Wild Card)

BAL 30-29 .508 (currently t3rd Wild Card)

TEX 28-28 .500

HOU 28-29 .491 (currently 1st Wild Card)

CHW 28-30 .483 (currently tied with DET)

CLE 27-30 .474

SEA 27-32 .458

TBR 26-32 .448 (currently 5th Wild Card)

BOS 25-33 .431

DET 22-34 .393 (currently t6th Wild Card)

Currently the top 2 Wild Card teams are HOU and MIN. In the end, it could very well be TOR and HOU. Or even TOR and BAL. It isn't a question of whether we can catch MIN. It is whether we can surpass all the other teams.

And it still only gets us to a 1 game playoff.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/tigers-trade-deadline-approach-undecided.html
Tigers Still Not Selling, Looking At Pitching; Mike Leake “On Radar”.
mlbtraderumors

What they need to do if they are going to buyers as they say is to expand a trade for a pitcher and get a reliever or closer as well.
80% of the bullpen is horseshit. Chapman imo would be perfect in finally fixing the 9th inning. Don't be half ass buyers if they are in fact going to be, go for it. and in all likelihood pay the piper later.....

Last edited:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/tigers-trade-deadline-approach-undecided.html
Tigers Still Not Selling, Looking At Pitching; Mike Leake ?On Radar?.
mlbtraderumors

What they need to do if they are going to buyers as they say is to expand a trade for a pitcher and get a reliever or closer as well.
80% of the bullpen is horseshit. Chapman imo would be perfect in finally fixing the 9th inning. Don't be half ass buyers if they are in fact going to be, go for it. and in all likelihood pay the piper later.....

Word is that the Blue Jays, now that they have Tulo, is pushing hard for a Leake/Champman deal as well.

The Royals are punching through to the other side with Cueto and Zobrist. It is certainly an arm's race now.

Let's be perfectly honest here, the rotation needs at least two starters and the pen needs at least two reliable arms too. If we aren't going to buy all of that without selling off any current impactful starters, we ought to be selling.

The only reasonable starting trade pieces we could send off and not have it immediately bite us are Avila, Castellanos, and Davis. I see almost no chance that Miggy, Iggy, Victor, or JD would be traded. If we deal Cespedes or Kinsler, we're gonna downgrade our offense and defense. Gose is a possibility to go out if we had to, but I think they view him as part of the younger, cheaper core going forward. McCann isn't going anywhere either.

Hoping tb sweeps us for the good of the franchise and contending next year. It's not worth wasting future seasons for an outside chance of a road play in game.

Hoping tb sweeps us for the good of the franchise and contending next year. It's not worth wasting future seasons for an outside chance of a road play in game.

Most likely we get swept and we still don't sell. All I keep hearing from DD and BA is how close we are to a WC game.

Last edited:

Did they ban trades and signing free agents?

Back