Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

buyers or sellers?

I greatly disagree, id rather take a top 50 prospect along with a couple other pieces than a late round pick you might not see for 4 or 5 years

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I totally agree. A team like Toronto or the Cubs would be willing to give a lot for a few month rental of David Price given the lack of success by those franchises in recent years, or in Chicago's case since 1908.

Price will get us a compensary pick which will be a better player than what teams would be willing to give up.

What?

Teams will give up established players, both major league and top prospects. A compensation pick is just a draft pick, which first has to agree to signing (not all drafted picks sign) and then will be just as much of a crapshoot as any other draft pick.

The idea Price has more value as a departing FA who will turn down a QA rather than as a sellers market trade is ludicrous.

If I had a say, I would trade everyone except Iggy and JD (including Miggy). Price and Cespedes could easily return multiple high-end prospects that could start the next phase of Tiger's baseball. Miggy would return multiple true blue-chippers, guys that could actually be stars down the road. Even Martinez should be an easy sell to a number of offensively starved playoff contenders.

The fact is, the team is barely good enough to make the playoffs this year, and is only going to be worse next year (the team simply won't be able to re-sign Price and Cespedes). The rotation is a mess; we would need three whole new starters just to have a playoff rotation. The bullpen continues to be a crapshoot that we never seem to fix. The team doesn't have the assets to be buyers in the first place. There's no fix to make this team a contender, might as well rebuild.

If I had a say, I would trade everyone except Iggy and JD (including Miggy). Price and Cespedes could easily return multiple high-end prospects that could start the next phase of Tiger's baseball. Miggy would return multiple true blue-chippers, guys that could actually be stars down the road. Even Martinez should be an easy sell to a number of offensively starved playoff contenders.

The fact is, the team is barely good enough to make the playoffs this year, and is only going to be worse next year (the team simply won't be able to re-sign Price and Cespedes). The rotation is a mess; we would need three whole new starters just to have a playoff rotation. The bullpen continues to be a crapshoot that we never seem to fix. The team doesn't have the assets to be buyers in the first place. There's no fix to make this team a contender, might as well rebuild.
Hate to break it to you but both Miggy and VMart are pretty much untradable without eating big chunks of their contracts. The amount of teams that could trade for them is very small and the return would be for a lot less than you'd expect

Hate to break it to you but both Miggy and VMart are pretty much untradable without eating big chunks of their contracts. The amount of teams that could trade for them is very small and the return would be for a lot less than you'd expect

Victor has three years left after this one and is a highly productive player. The team could easily eat some of his remaining contract to get better return in a trade. And teams could easily talk themselves into punting that remaining salary for an elite switch-hitter.

Miggy I think you're just being silly about. If Miggy had been a free agent last offseason, he would have landed the same contract he has. The same applies this offseason. If you really think that contract would stop a near contender from picking up the best hitter in baseball, I don't think you've been paying attention to contracts this last decade.

Victor has three years left after this one and is a highly productive player. The team could easily eat some of his remaining contract to get better return in a trade. And teams could easily talk themselves into punting that remaining salary for an elite switch-hitter.

Miggy I think you're just being silly about. If Miggy had been a free agent last offseason, he would have landed the same contract he has. The same applies this offseason. If you really think that contract would stop a near contender from picking up the best hitter in baseball, I don't think you've been paying attention to contracts this last decade.

when you sign a free agent it is just the money you are giving up. When you trade for a player with a huge contract you are giving up value AND adding a bunch of payroll.

Was this a good haul by the Royals.

Zack Greinke
December 19, 2010: Traded by the Kansas City Royals with Yuniesky Betancourt and cash to the Milwaukee Brewers for Lorenzo Cain, Alcides Escobar, Jeremy Jeffress and Jake Odorizzi.

Last edited:
There was a baseball writer on Dery's show the other day who basically said that people who think you can't get much for Price are out of their mind. You can get more than enough for him.

I still think we need to look at 3 way deals where we trade our big pieces to contenders, they ship prospects to a third team who ships us some Major league players. We could end up with a few nice pieces and a much better contract situation if we play our cards right. It's going to be a sellers market, 4 or 5 teams will be bidding fro someone like David Price, even as a 1 year rental.

I still think we need to look at 3 way deals where we trade our big pieces to contenders, they ship prospects to a third team who ships us some Major league players. We could end up with a few nice pieces and a much better contract situation if we play our cards right. It's going to be a sellers market, 4 or 5 teams will be bidding fro someone like David Price, even as a 1 year rental.

I'd rather get top prospects then ML ready players. We need to get some young, cheap, talent up in here.

I'd rather get top prospects then ML ready players. We need to get some young, cheap, talent up in here.

Exactly. Hence why I would be for getting rid of J.D. Martinez. He is arbitration eligible and will get a huge raise. His stock is probably at it's highest. He would probably net more than Price in a trade.

Exactly. Hence why I would be for getting rid of J.D. Martinez. He is arbitration eligible and will get a huge raise. His stock is probably at it's highest. He would probably net more than Price in a trade.

I agree...I think they would get more for JD than they would for Price.

I'd rather sell J.D. then Price. and as mentioned above you might get more.would be nice to get 2 or 3 quality players at the positions we need.

I'd rather sell J.D. then Price. and as mentioned above you might get more.would be nice to get 2 or 3 quality players at the positions we need.

What is the point of not also selling Price?

We aren't going to keep him. He's probably going to get more money than Max turned down, and we aren't about to match that.

So keeping him for the sake of a comp pick is stupidity.

What is the point of not also selling Price?

We aren't going to keep him. He's probably going to get more money than Max turned down, and we aren't about to match that.

So keeping him for the sake of a comp pick is stupidity.

we trade J.D. we can replace him with a few quality players.

if we sell Price, our pitching staff is completely shot.

Last edited:
we trade J.D. we can replace him with a few quality players.

if we sell Price, our pitching staff is completely shot.

What is the point then if you keep Price? If we are in sell mode, we aren't going to win anyways. Having Price would only mean 1-2 more wins. And at what cost?

What is the point then if you keep Price? If we are in sell mode, we aren't going to win anyways. Having Price would only mean 1-2 more wins. And at what cost?

I know this year is shot,if we let Price go,who do we replace him with?

I say keep him and then add some pieces to go along with him. Face it Price is the only horse we got in the barn and if we let him go, we'll be the laughing stock in baseball next year.

we already lost...

Phister
Swerz
Porcello
Smily

J.V. is all but washed up and Sanchez ain't worth a s*** half the time.

I know this year is shot,if we let Price go,who do we replace him with?

I say keep him and then add some pieces to go along with him. Face it Price is the only horse we got in the barn and if we let him go, we'll be the laughing stock in baseball next year.

we already lost...

Phister
Swerz
Porcello
Smily

J.V. is all but washed up and Sanchez ain't worth a s*** half the time.

To pay Price what he's worth in order to finish at .500 at best over the next few seasons is not good business IMO.

Back