Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

buyers or sellers?

As bad as JV's contract looks right now, Miggy's could be much worse.

Sure. But so far he hasn't slowed down. That's the dilemma. If he goes the JV route no one touches him because of the money, if he stays a beast - no one trades for him because they think he'll slow down. And for the money.

Bottom line is Miggy could be 32, 28 or even 24..there is no market for such a great hitter. You'd get screwed by trading him..

There is no market for him because other teams value having a few good players more than having an aging stud that is owed that much money. The other teams set the market....that is why you get screwed. There is no market for him because no other teams would be willing to give up anything of value for him.

There is no market for him because other teams value having a few good players more than having an aging stud that is owed that much money. The other teams set the market....that is why you get screwed. There is no market for him because no other teams would be willing to give up anything of value for him.

I think we already agreed on that. My #2. But if's 24 and cheap, also no market because you'd get screwed. See Marlins. Guys like Miggy don't often get traded where it's a fair deal for both teams..

And the Tigers now would be stupid to trade him for so so talent. It's a pickle.

Last edited:
It was a joke.

As far as who those players are right now. I have no idea. I don't have a lot of knowledge about other teams players, who could be available, etc.

You don't trade Kaline and you don't trade Cabrera. And I'd take Cash's numbers over Perez's anyway.

for the right package...sure.

Kaline to the Reds for 3rd year 1B Tony Perez and minor league catcher Johnny Bench!

You should be traded. Trading Kaline has got to be the most stupid f'n thing you've said, and you have said alot of ridiculous crap. You are becoming more and more of a troll in what you post.

You should be traded. Trading Kaline has got to be the most stupid f'n thing you've said, and you have said alot of ridiculous crap. You are becoming more and more of a troll in what you post.

why? Trading Kaline at the end of his career for Perez and Bench? In hindsight you wouldn't do that?

It would be ridiculous to trade cabrera because you would get no where near the value. That contract is something nobody would want to touch.

The closest example you could find the last 20 years is when ARod was traded in his prime to New York. He was arguably the best player in the game and had a massive contract. Rangers only got Alfonso Soriano, which was still a good player, and had to eat a 3rd of his contract.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There are always players other teams want in every farm system. As long as we start winning at home, no doubt in my mind we are buyers.

Joe Jimenez, Derek Hill , Steven Moya could all draw interest.

why? Trading Kaline at the end of his career for Perez and Bench? In hindsight you wouldn't do that?

Baseball, IMO, is still watching your favorites year after year. Until they retire. Free agency ruined that..In your scenario we don't win the '68 WS.

Al was still in his prime and once in a lifetime franchise player (You keep those players) and we had an underrated C in Freehan who btw had two top 3 MVP season's the next two years..

And just think. if Al was traded the Organization loses big time. Fans lose big time. He's the biggest ambassador to Tiger's baseball as we ever had or will ever have. So even in hindsight, not a chance.

You don't trade Kaline and you don't trade Cabrera. And I'd take Cash's numbers over Perez's anyway.

Tony Perez played 6 more season then Cash and had almost 250 more doubles then Cash.. Norm had a much better OBP and slugging, and ops.. Age old question in baseball about RBI's as TP has over 500 More the Norm.. Cash only 2 homer's below Tony at 377.. I am pretty sure Tiger stadium was a better place to hit homers then Riverfront and Crosley but I would have to look them up..

I guess it helps to have Rose and Morgan on all the time when you bat lol..

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cashno01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/perezto01.shtml

Can you Fathom, Al has been with the Tiger's organization for 62 years. That's awesome. And don't forget my all-time favorite, Willie Horton. I cried when he went elsewhere..

Last edited:
Tony Perez played 6 more season then Cash and had almost 250 more doubles then Cash.. Norm had a much better OBP and slugging, and ops.. Age old question in baseball about RBI's as TP has over 500 More the Norm.. Cash only 2 homer's below Tony at 377.. I am pretty sure Tiger stadium was a better place to hit homers then Riverfront and Crosley but I would have to look them up..

I guess it helps to have Rose and Morgan on all the time when you bat lol..

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cashno01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/perezto01.shtml

Career Away

N. Cash .267 BAVG .366 OBP .463 SLG .829 OPS 8.5 PA/BB 24.6 PA/HR

T. Perez .275 BAVG .335 OBP .452 SLG .777 OPS 14.2 PA/BB 27.7 PA/HR

Career RISP

N. Cash 2074 PA 687 RBI 3.0 PA/RBI .403 OBP .448 SLG .851 OPS

T. Perez 3408 PA 1237 RBI 2.8 PA/RBI .364 OBP .470 SLG .834 OPS

Early in his career, Perez played a lot of 3B. In fact, for his career, roughly 30% of his PAs came at 3B.

There are always players other teams want in every farm system. As long as we start winning at home, no doubt in my mind we are buyers.

Joe Jimenez, Derek Hill , Steven Moya could all draw interest.

Hill and Moya have virtually no value to any team right now. Hill is a complete flop so far in his 2nd season after being a 1st Round pick and Moya hits home runs and nothing else.

you had an icon and an all time great playing his whole career for one team, going for 3000 hits, loved by everyone, and you want to trade him??????? You would turn a fan base against the team for trading him. As Mitch and others here said he has been with the Tigers as a player, coach, announcer, and front office, in a variety of jobs with the Tigers for 62 years and going.

Perez was nothing more than an rbi guy driving them in, which means, as Byco said he had Morgan and Rose on in front of him, high obp/hit guys.

The owner who does what you suggest is a heartless no good bastard who should be tarred and feathered and run out of the city he owns a team.

Freehan was the best catcher in the A.L.

Go root for the marlins or a's.

Cabrera is 32 and making $22 Mil this year, $28 Mil in 2016-2017, $30 Mil 2018-2021, $32 Mil 2022-2023, with club options in 2024 and 2025 (signed thru 40 years old, 42 with option years).

Albert Pujols in 35 and making $24 Mil this year, $25 Mil 2016, $26 Mil 2017, $27 Mil 2018, $28 Mil 2019, $29 Mil 2020 and $30 Mil in $2021 (signed thru 41 years old).

R. Howard (35) signed thru 2016 (1 year @ $35 Mil = $35 Mil average)
M. Cabrera (32) signed thru 2023 (8 years @ $248 Mil = $31 Mil average)
A. Pujols (35) signed thru 2021 (6 years @ $165 Mil = $27.5 Mil average)
J. Votto (31) signed thru 2023 (8 years @ $192 Mil = $24 Mil average)
M. Teixeira (35) signed thru 2016 (1 year @ $23.5 Mil = 23.5 Mil average)
J. Mauer (32) signed thru 2018 (3 years @ $69 Mil = $23 Mil average)
A. Gonzalez (33) signed thru 2018 (3 years @ $64 Mil = $21.33 Mil average)
F. Freeman (25) signed thru 2021 (6 years @ $118.5 Mil = $19.75 Mil average)
**P. Fielder (31) signed thru 2020 (5 years @ $90 Mil = $18 Mil average)

**DET is paying $6 mil per year, so TEX is only going to pay $18 Mil

Current Top salaries in 2018:

C. Kershaw (30) $35.571 Mil
M. Trout(26) $34.083 Mil
M. Cabrera (35) $30 Mil
J. Verlander (35) $28 Mil
J. Lester (34) $27.5 MilA. Pujols (38) $27 Mil
F. Hernandez (32) $26.857 Mil
Z. Greinke (34) $26 Mil
G. Stanton (28) $25 Mil
J. Votto (34) $25 Mil
R. Cano (35) $24 Mil
C. Hamels (34) $23.5 Mil
J. Mauer (35) $23 Mil
H. Ramirez (34) $22.75 Mil
A. Gonzalez (36) $22.357 Mil
B. Posey (31) $22.178 Mil
M. Tanaka (29) $22 Mil
J. Reyes (35) $22 Mil
F. Freeman (28) $21.359 Mil
J. Ellsbury (34) $21.143 Mil
M. Scherzer (33) $22.143 Mil
R. Porcello (29) $21.125 Mil
J. Shields (36) $21 Mil
H. Bailey (32) $21 Mil
M. Cain (33) $21 Mil
T. Tulowitzki (33) $20 Mil
D. Wright (35) $20 Mil
R. Braun (34) $20 Mil
R. Martin (35) $20 Mil
S. Choo (35) $20 Mil
A. Wainwright (36) $19.5 Mil
K. Seager (30) $19 Mil
H. Pence (35) $18.5 Mil
M. Kemp (33) $18.5 Mil ($21.75, LAD pays $3.5 Mil)
P. Fielder (34) $18 Mil ($24 Mil, DET pays $6 Mil)
V. Martinez (39) $18 Mil

The vast majority of these are for players 32 years old and older. That is how it works. Quite a few of these players will be lucky to match performance with their salary. Russel Martin? Homer Bailey? These shouldn't even be $20 Mil players, certainly not in 3 years. About half of these have already had significant time lost due to injuries over the last few seasons.

By 2018, Goldschmidt is still only making $11 Mil and Jose Abreu will be making $13.17 Mil. For every $20+ Mil contract, there are shrewd teams who signed players to decent deals. Andrew McCutchen will be playing for $13 Mil in 2016 and could be getting $14.5 Mil in 2018. Pittsburgh does not resign him if that happens. If they want to keep him, they are going to have to resign him by the end of next year.

If he continues to produce, Prince Fielder @ $18 Mil in 2016 is a very good deal. Not as good as Goldschmidt at $5.85 Mil, but given age and MLB experience (service time), most 1B over 30 are going to be making $15 Mil on long term deals.

Joe Mauer @ $23 Mil to be one of the best, if not the best, catcher in the game is OK. To pay Joe Mauer $23 Mil to be a below average 1B is a different story. He will be a FA at 35 years old. What does he get paid, especially if he doesn't catch?

But Mauer's value to Minnesota right now is based on fan loyalty and past performance. Miggy puts Tiger fans in the seats and gets them to buy the merchandizing. The fans haven't turned on him. The Phillies fans have certainly turned on Ryan Howard. But for a couple of years, they put up with his dropped performance.

Last edited:
you had an icon and an all time great playing his whole career for one team, going for 3000 hits, loved by everyone, and you want to trade him??????? You would turn a fan base against the team for trading him. As Mitch and others here said he has been with the Tigers as a player, coach, announcer, and front office, in a variety of jobs with the Tigers for 62 years and going.

Perez was nothing more than an rbi guy driving them in, which means, as Byco said he had Morgan and Rose on in front of him, high obp/hit guys.

The owner who does what you suggest is a heartless no good bastard who should be tarred and feathered and run out of the city he owns a team.

Freehan was the best catcher in the A.L.

Go root for the marlins or a's.

I just have a different mentality than you. I am not a fan of players...I am a Tigers fan. If I thought that trading one of the best players on the team would make the team better I would be 100% for the trade. I root for the Tigers...the team!

Don't get me wrong. I do like some of the players. I really liked Max. I love watching Miggy hit. I REALLY liked JV when he was dominating the AL. I am starting to really like Iggy in the field. Growing up I liked Tram, Lou, Gibby, Jack & LP. But I guess I have too much of a business outlook on sports. Players come and go but the team comes first.

I just have a different mentality than you. I am not a fan of players...I am a Tigers fan. If I thought that trading one of the best players on the team would make the team better I would be 100% for the trade. I root for the Tigers...the team!

Don't get me wrong. I do like some of the players. I really liked Max. I love watching Miggy hit. I REALLY liked JV when he was dominating the AL. I am starting to really like Iggy in the field. Growing up I liked Tram, Lou, Gibby, Jack & LP. But I guess I have too much of a business outlook on sports. Players come and go but the team comes first.

idk, Now it's about having it both ways. If you look at it from the business side, you would have to understand, doing something like you suggested would be paramount to shooting yourself/the team in the foot, which was trading Kaline.

idk, Now it's about having it both ways. If you look at it from the business side, you would have to understand, doing something like you suggested would be paramount to shooting yourself/the team in the foot, which was trading Kaline.

you never know. The 49ers traded Joe Montana who many consider the best player in the history of the NFL. As far as status in a sport, superior to AK.

I think in my scenario, having Johnny Bench as a Tiger for 20 years (arguably the best catcher in the past 50 years) wouldn't make people forget AK but most fans would look at Tigers management and think they made a good choice.

Now, these are just hypothetical scenarios...just for fun and conversation.

I'm fine with the Tigers not having traded Al Kaline to the Reds back in 1966.

I've never lost sleep over it, not even one time.

Back