Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers 2015-2016 offseason calendar

So it is very obvious that management is hell bent on trying to compete this year with total disregard for the future. If that is the case I say they try to trade for Lucroy. The Brewers are in re-build mode...maybe they would take McCann and a pitching prospect. He hits lefties and righties equally well (.350 OBP & .792 OPS) can take a walk and has better away numbers than home.

He wants a trade to a contender.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14604916/jonathan-lucroy-milwaukee-brewers-hoping-trade-contender

Lucroy is the 2nd best overall catcher behind Buster Posey (2nd best offensively, 4th best defensively). He would add at least 6 more wins to this team over McCant. There is a 57 run difference between the 2. I would be ecstatic if the Tigers got him.

I'm very nervous about how the pitchers are going to perform with two bad defensive catchers (which includes calling games)

Of all the stiffs on the 40-man roster, Marte would have been at the end of the list to be designated in my book. This club is just futile when it comes to making sound decisions.

just curious why you feel this way. Looking at his minor league stats he looks like a stiff too....unless he is a very good defensive 3B

just curious why you feel this way. Looking at his minor league stats he looks like a stiff too....unless he is a very good defensive 3B

So, Nick Castellanos has season ending surgery or completely stinks up the joint, who is your starting 3B? Andrew Romine? Mike Aviles?

Last 3 years Away

J. Marte 81.2 RC/650 .263 BAVG .333 OBP .419 SLG .752 OPS 11.3 PA/BB

M. Aviles 50.6 RC/650 .238 BAVG .260 OBP .341 SLG .601 OPS 9.6 PA/BB

A. Romine 49.8 RC/650 .234 BAVG .283 OBP .304 SLG .587 OPS 18.3 PA/BB

Marte does not project to be anything more than a replacement level player, which is greater than what Aviles or Romine will give you.

Romine can play defense. Aviles cannot. Marte is probably in between as far as defense and he is apt to hit better in the long run. Hence why I would have him at the bottom of this list. The Tigers are putting all their eggs in the Nick Castellanos basket.

So, Nick Castellanos has season ending surgery or completely stinks up the joint, who is your starting 3B? Andrew Romine? Mike Aviles?

Last 3 years Away

J. Marte 81.2 RC/650 .263 BAVG .333 OBP .419 SLG .752 OPS 11.3 PA/BB

M. Aviles 50.6 RC/650 .238 BAVG .260 OBP .341 SLG .601 OPS 9.6 PA/BB

A. Romine 49.8 RC/650 .234 BAVG .283 OBP .304 SLG .587 OPS 18.3 PA/BB

Marte does not project to be anything more than a replacement level player, which is greater than what Aviles or Romine will give you.

Romine can play defense. Aviles cannot. Marte is probably in between as far as defense and he is apt to hit better in the long run. Hence why I would have him at the bottom of this list. The Tigers are putting all their eggs in the Nick Castellanos basket.

But aren't Aviles and Romine projected to be bench players on the 25 man roster?

But aren't Aviles and Romine projected to be bench players on the 25 man roster?

Well if Aviles can't hit or play defense over a middle of the road Marte, it seems it would make more sense to get rid of Aviles instead? Kind of like keep the best of the worse.

Last edited:
Well if Aviles can't hit or play defense over a middle of the road Marte, it seems it would make more sense to get rid of Aviles instead? Kind of like keep the best of the worse.

Aviles was signed to be a utility player at the ML level in 2016. He can play all 4 IF positions and in the outfield.

Aviles was signed to be a utility player at the ML level in 2016. He can play all 4 IF positions and in the outfield.

Doesn't mean he can play them well. Now honestly, I don't know who was best to keep but based on numbers, and a better 3B option, I'd have kept Marte.

Doesn't mean he can play them well. Now honestly, I don't know who was best to keep but based on numbers, and a better 3B option, I'd have kept Marte.

That's the price the Tigers are paying for having a DH that can't play in the field. You have to have bench players with more versatility. Regardless...Marte isn't good enough to even make the team as a bench player...as Reb said...he's just a replacement level player.

That's the price the Tigers are paying for having a DH that can't play in the field. You have to have bench players with more versatility. Regardless...Marte isn't good enough to even make the team as a bench player...as Reb said...he's just a replacement level player.

Marte only really plays 3B and/or 1B. Defensively, Romine can play almost anywhere. Aviles shouldn't even be on a MLB roster.

Now, replacement level does not necessarily mean MLB level players. And/or vice versa.

$500,000 represents the zero level of marginal salary a team can commit to a player. Since they’re obliged to pay that money to someone anyway, it doesn’t really matter to whom it’s actually going. Giving a player a job for the minimum means you’ve acquired him for as close to free as you’re ever going to get in baseball, especially as you haven’t expended other resources (other players, generally) to get him. Now, if a player’s willing to sign for free, that’s probably a clue that he’s not very good. In fact, he’s so bad that other teams don’t care if he gets picked up, because there are so many players of that caliber that acquiring one of them has virtually no effect on the size of the talent pool. If another team did care, there’d be some sort of competition to acquire his services, and as a result the team winning control over said player will have had to expend marginal resources to do it. The above gives us a neat little definition for the league’s worst players. We can define a replacement level player as one who costs no marginal resources to acquire. This is the type of player who would fill in for the starter in case of injuries, slumps, alien abductions, etc.

By designating Marte for assignment means they have 10 days to trade him or waive/release him. Odds are another team should claim (ala Hernan Perez), because he offers replacement value and costs nothing. There is hope a team might even offer something negligible in trade.

If DET designated Aviles for assignment, for instance, no team would offer anything for him and certainly no team would ever claim him because they would have to take on his salary. His salary precludes him from being defined as replacement.

Teams generally have a few players on their 40-man roster who fit into the "replacement" level arena. Not all will continue on to be viable MLB players. Some refer these players as "organizational" fodder. Good enough to be AAAA players, but maybe not MLB players.

Moya could be another name used with replacement level. Without something drastically happening, he is destined to be a AAAA player/reserve OFer. If waived, there would be a team that would claim him, as he would cost them nothing and his salary is nothing.

Montreal Robinson and Jeff Ferrell are two players who probably pass through waivers without being claimed. Keep in mind, if a player is on a team's 40-man roster at the time of being designated for assignment, and then waived, a team claiming him has to put him on their 40-man roster. Now, if he makes it through unclaimed (depending on status), he can then sign a minor league contract. So odds are, no team would claim Robinson or Ferrell if they were waived by DET. And both being 25 years old, their time has come a gone. Are they organization fodder/replacement level relievers?

Last edited:
but the plan is to keep Aviles and Romine on the ML team...so they should have picked one of the relievers?

but the plan is to keep Aviles and Romine on the ML team...so they should have picked one of the relievers?

Bad plan. They should never be on the 25-man, both of them at same time. They do the same thing.

Not one thing makes sense for our new GM to want Aviles. I don't get why he got him in the first place. .599 OPS that doesn't play well on defense.

Bad plan. They should never be on the 25-man, both of them at same time. They do the same thing.

Not one thing makes sense for our new GM to want Aviles. I don't get why he got him in the first place. .599 OPS that doesn't play well on defense.

ideally they both wouldn't be on the team. Aviles has a career road OPS of .671 which isn't terrible for a bench utility player. I don't know how bad is defense is. Romine's career away OPS is .581. I know he is a pretty good infield defensive player but he hasn't played in the OF. I understand why they would want a guy like Aviles on the bench...would I want someone better...of course, but I don't know if they can afford that.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2016/01/detroit_tigers_designate_jefry.html#incart_river_index
Detroit Tigers designate Jefry Marte for assignment to make room for Justin Upton.
Mlive

ideally they both wouldn't be on the team. Aviles has a career road OPS of .671 which isn't terrible for a bench utility player. I don't know how bad is defense is. Romine's career away OPS is .581. I know he is a pretty good infield defensive player but he hasn't played in the OF. I understand why they would want a guy like Aviles on the bench...would I want someone better...of course, but I don't know if they can afford that.

Aviles will be 35. His best days are long gone. Why not a minor league contract with a spring invite? Dixon Machado is also a player with the same skillsets and at least 10 years or junior to Aviles. His signing was absurd.

Aviles will be 35. His best days are long gone. Why not a minor league contract with a spring invite? Dixon Machado is also a player with the same skillsets and at least 10 years or junior to Aviles. His signing was absurd.

I don't really like it either but I see what they are trying to do given his versatility and he is a vet. I guess my point in the beginning was not the signing of Aviles but understanding why they kept him over Marte. Aviles is in their plan as their utility player at the ML level in 2016. Marte isn't

I don't really like it either but I see what they are trying to do given his versatility and he is a vet. I guess my point in the beginning was not the signing of Aviles but understanding why they kept him over Marte. Aviles is in their plan as their utility player at the ML level in 2016. Marte isn't

That's obvious which is why Avila is a dumbass. He says how he's going into saber-metrics and signs players like Maybin and other junk. It was so laughable that Mike I. had to step in and convince him to sign a more valuable player, Upton.

I thought I heard Mr I wanted Davis and Avila told him that Upton was a better fit? (heard that on MLB radio)

Back