Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fielder for Kinsler trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah lets look at one more little stat:

Kinsler career playoff numbers.
(34 games)
.311 AVG
.422 OBP
.905 OPS

Dombrowski says he still is unsure whether Cabrera plays first base or third base in 2014, but will def. play 1st in future.

Hmmmm makes me wonder now who will play 1st this year IF Miggy plays 3rd in 2014?

Dombrowski says he still is unsure whether Cabrera plays first base or third base in 2014, but will def. play 1st in future.

Hmmmm makes me wonder now who will play 1st this year IF Miggy plays 3rd in 2014?
I really can't see us signing a 1yr rental 1B or playing a minor leaguer there, so it's gotta be Victor if it isn't Miggy. I think this is pretty much DD's hedge against Castellanos not being ready for the show.

VMart? Seems unlikely to me that Cabrera will play anything but first. Maybe they platoon him at 1b and 3b to start?

I think a good signing for Detroit would be Eric Chavez. Then you can at least platoon him against a lot of RH pitchers and ease Castellanos in without a ton of pressure. If Castellanos completely flops, Chavez wouldn't be the end of the world getting most of the at bats.

Yeah seems like they will go with a rotation of Miggy/Castellanos at 3B and Miggy/Vmart at 1B I guess. Would really make sense to just move Miggy back to 1B next season but I guess with Miggy's love of 3B you have to take that into consideration as well.

DD just said they haven't really talked to Cabrera yet about going back to 1B.

Looks like (although he didn't come right out and say it) Ausmus is leaning towards keeping Miggy in the 3 hole on the lineup card.

One overly priced for another. But we save quite a bit of cash over the course of these deals. Also, we get a 2B and get rid of a 1B - that's a win right there..It's certainly not bad deal like some think. Though I do worry that Kinsler won't hit at Comerica. And somehow in the back of my mind I see Fielder hitting 50 bombs a year in Texas.

Cash payments of 6 million from Detroit will be paid out in 2016-20. So savings are as followed.

2014 - 8 Million
2015 - 8 Million
2016 - 4 Million
2017 - 7 Million
2018 - 13 Million but will be 8 Million (If Option is picked up on Kinsler)
2019 - 18 Million
2020 - 18 Million

This is a nice savings. I like the deal mostly because it takes out a bad 1B for an adequate 2B. If Nick C. is coming up, I'd prefer him in the OF. He wasn't much of a 3B before he made the switch, probably not much better than Miggy. You can put just about anyone at 1B and he'd be better than Prince.

Not if Kinsler is a piece of shit I might chance my mind.

I honestly have no idea how i feel about this trade. On the one hand, it seems like its salary and positional relief, but Kinsler sucks ass outside of the texas bandbox, and he's declining on the basepaths and defense as he gets older.

Im glad we got rid of Fielder's attitude, defense, and apparent clubhouse issues, but fuck me...for Kinsler? I think we might get lucky if he hits .250/.320/.700 with even average defense and baserunning. I hope he proves me wrong.

This only helps if we use the salary relief to sign/trade for an impact outfielder.

A nice interesting stat.

Kinsler has a career 55% XBT. 61% in '13. Avg is 40%. XBT= 1st to 3rd on a single, 1st to Home on Double.

I honestly have no idea how i feel about this trade. On the one hand, it seems like its salary and positional relief, but Kinsler sucks ass outside of the texas bandbox, and he's declining on the basepaths and defense as he gets older.

Im glad we got rid of Fielder's attitude, defense, and apparent clubhouse issues, but fuck me...for Kinsler? I think we might get lucky if he hits .250/.320/.700 with even average defense and baserunning. I hope he proves me wrong.

This only helps if we use the salary relief to sign/trade for an impact outfielder.

Better chance to keep Scherzer, eh?

But yeah, not big on Kinsler but Fielder has not done what I thought we'd get. He's a freakin' 1st baseman making 25 a year for a lot of years. An .819 OPS sucked ass..compare that to a 2B output with better defense and its not too far off production wise.

Granted I expect Prince to hit better in 2014 but no guarantee..

Honestly, Im not for signing max to a huge extension after a career year. Frankly, I think it would be stupid. I have far less confidence in Max doing this again than, say, seeing Justin come back and win another Cy. I love max, but ive said this before: i think his mechanics are just too volatile to have sustained success. thats why he's never put it together like this before, and I doubt he will do it again. either that, or he'll injure himself. Id love to think that he can, especially in a tigers uniform, but I honestly just dont see it happening.

Well we also have to look at some other variables as well. DD mentioned tonight that there was a really good chance Infante would not be back with the Tigers and they were prepared to move forward with Perez at 2b next season. So lets look at our possible lineup if we didn't make this move.

1. Jackson - CF
2. Hunter - RF
3. Cabrera - 3B
4. Fielder - 1B
5. Martinez - DH
6. Avila - C
7. Dirks/Castellanos - LF
8. Perez - 2B
9. Iglesias - SS

Now with the move today which I am almost certain will open up at least 1 additional move. Granted this lineup is with the addition of Choo which I believe makes a lot of sense now after today's move.

1. Kinsler - 2B
2. Choo - RF
3. Cabrera - 1B
4. Martinez - DH
5. Hunter - LF
6. Avila - C
7. Castellanos - 3B
8. Jackson - CF
9. Iglesias - SS

Which would you rather see opening day?

No doubt Scherzer gets extended now. He sure is a good guy and great teammate. Sounds like is up for Zack Greinke money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back